Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has come up several times lately and I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were. Can running relatively rich actually leech oil past the rings? This is an interesting theory to me and I do notice the reverse, a slight fuel smell in my oil, more so than in other cars I've owned. My '01 runs great but does burn some oil (like virtually every other 5th gen it seems).

I do notice my car seems to run a bit richer than I'm used to and I'm trying to figure out why Honda would do this by design (I find it hard to believe 5th gens all run rich due to some chronic problem). Running richer usually means running somewhat cooler, and with greater emmisions (leaner=hotter and generally fewer emmisions). If Honda chose to make 'ludes run rich it would hurt their emmisions standing and also affect mileage, so there must be some very good reason. Could it be for engine protection? Leaner running cars have less margin for error and detonation is easier, so maybe given the RPMs the H22 will see it is "safer" to make it run a bit on the rich side?

If this condition is by design, is it wise to "correct" it by the installation of a VAFC?

Just thinking out loud; please post any feedback.

KrautLude

·
Registered
304 Posts
hmmm
i noticed my car burns oil a lot of it. My father thought it was a real big problem when I first got the car; but now I know just to keep an eye on it. Now the VAFC - does that stand for variable active fule control..and what does it do? - If it help out I would like to look into one - sorry krautlude no real answers from me just related questions

·
Registered
622 Posts
from what i remember, h22a4 have oil squirters in the cylinders, i guess to cool down cyl temps... i burn about 3/4 quart per 3000mi of hard driving...

i don't see how running rich would "leech oil past the rings"... if you're getting oil blow-by running rich is probably gonna _help_ you..

since the extra fuel acts to cool the cyl more, running a little leaner with AFC should be OK... just tune for closed-loop.

V-AFC=VTEC Air Flow Converter

White98SH

1 - 5 of 5 Posts