Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car/conditions:
2001 Honda Prelude 5-speed, 2.2L VTEC engine, 3% fuel lean using VTEC controller, paper air filter. 9,000KM interval, 49,000KM on engine, daily driven in winter in Toronto, cold starts, occasional 7,400RPM shifts, 2 x 30KM of highway driving every day, 40% city, 60% highway overall.

Oil:
Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30, 0.5L of Series 3000 5W-30 HDD (put in by mistake), Amsoil SDF-20 oil filter. No noticeable oil burning, the only oil added was the 0.5L of S3K 5W-30 HDD which I added by mistake when I checked my oil on an incline and I thought I burned 0.5L. I didn't have any 0W-30 left, so I topped off with my girlfriend's S3K 5W-30 HDD which she used in her Jetta TDI.

Analysis:

Wear
Copper 4 low wear
Iron 8 low wear
Chromium 1 low wear
Lead 1 low wear
Aluminum 5 low wear
Silicon 7 very low, perfect air filtration
Tin 2 no wear

Additives
Molybdenum 0 no moly adds no ring wear
Sodium 2 normal
Magnesium 665
Zinc 1100
Potassium 4
Phosphorus 976
Calcium 2230

Physical Properties
Water negative Perfect
Fuel negative scale negative,trace,positive Perfect
Antifreeze negative Perfect
Soot/solids 0 clean burning, no sludge formation
Oxidation 164 scale 0-199 82% esters in the oil
Nitration 9.5 scale 0-199 <5% perfect combust efficiency
Sulfur 21 fuel and sulfur adds in oil
TBN 8
[email protected]*C 11.7 cSt 30w SAE

:thumbup:

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
How much is that in miles ?
Since i dont know all the technical oil explanation... can you put it in plain english for me.
Thaanks.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
is it good to go ~4-5K miles on an oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic?

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
is it good to go ~4-5K miles on an oil change with Mobil 1 Synthetic?
Mobil 1 is fine to 7500 miles. This is one of my oil reports from my 5th Gen.

Miles on oil: 6000

Analysis:

Wear
Copper 4 low wear
Iron 10 low wear
Chromium 1 low wear
Lead 4 low wear
Aluminum 5 low wear
Silicon 6 very low, perfect air filtration
Tin 1 no wear

Additives
Molybdenum 0 no moly adds no ring wear
Sodium 7
Magnesium 1441
Zinc 960
Potassium 0
Phosphorus 976
Calcium 821

Physical Properties
Water 0.0%
Fuel <0.5%
Antifreeze 0.0%
Insoluables in oil 0.3%
TBN 13.5
SUS [email protected]*F 69.8 30w SAE (slightly high, not a problem)

Comments from Blackstone labs:

Gerhard: No problems showed up in the inital sample from your Honda. All wear was around adverage for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts. The universal adverages show normal wear after 4,000 miles on the oil. In soluables were low at 0.3% showing good filtration. No fuel dilution or anti-freeze was found. Silicon was normal at 6ppm, so your air filtration is okay. The TBN at 13.5, showing a lot of active additive left in the oil when it was changed. This oil could have been run further -- try 7500 miles for your next sample.

Notes: I have a K&N drop in OEM sized air filter. The oil filter was a K&N oil filter (similar to Mobil 1 and older Bosch oil filters).

·
Registered
759 Posts
What color was your oil, Gerhard? Mine gets very dark after just 3K miles (Mobil 1 5W-30). I know that just looking at the oil can't tell me the full story of what's going on, but I don't like the idea of leaving oil in my car when it's already almost completely black.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
crashandburn said:
What color was your oil, Gerhard? Mine gets very dark after just 3K miles (Mobil 1 5W-30). I know that just looking at the oil can't tell me the full story of what's going on, but I don't like the idea of leaving oil in my car when it's already almost completely black.
Color of your oil is no indication of what shape it's in.

Typically, my oil turns a brown-black color. It NEVER gets so black that if I use a paper towel to check it that the oil is not actually brownish in color on the towel.

The most important thing other than using good oil is using a decent filter.

Mobil 1, K&N, AMSOIL, Fram x2 fitlers are all pretty good. (Heavy duty construction & decent filtration.)

Gerhard

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Gerhard, can u tell us how u drove the car during those 6k miles?

ie: Did u baby it(shift @3-4krpm) w/the occasional VTEC? Or was it revved every chance u had? Or something in between?

TIA

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
DanYO said:
gerhard you didn't mention the honda oil filter, is there a reason why?
Yes, it's made by Fram. Standard cardboard Fram oil filter construction.

It's OK, but nothing wonderful.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Two-Five Boy said:
Gerhard, can u tell us how u drove the car during those 6k miles?

ie: Did u baby it(shift @3-4krpm) w/the occasional VTEC? Or was it revved every chance u had? Or something in between?

TIA
No, I take the car to 8000 RPM all the time. A day doesn't go by that I don't use VTEC at 6800-7400 RPM's.

I take care of the car, but I don't baby it.

...and the oil lasts just fine to 7500 miles.

That's why Honda recommends 7500 mile drain intervals.

Gerhard

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
well looks like im gonna go until 5500 or 6K then ill change it....

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
well looks like im gonna go until 5500 or 6K then ill change it....
Nothing wrong with that... it's just such a waste to change it at 3000 miles when there is no actual advantage to do so.

Those are all good numbers.

I've had the 10w40 stuff in the car until 13000 miles... and the tests showed that it should have been changed at around 10000-11000 miles. (I did a filter change at 6350 miles.) That's still a pretty good indication that we can use our oil for longer intervals.

I just change it ever 7500 miles because it's easier to let the speedometer remind me. Plus: The filters last until 7500 without a problem. You really can't go over that and maintain proper filtration.

-Gerhard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts