Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have noticed that you can put NSX calipers on Si's with VTEC rotors. I have never seen it done on a VTEC model Prelude though. Can it be done? Is it a direct bolt on? Are there any real advantages to have a 2 piston rotor over the 1 piston I have now?

G

·
It can be done, but on a 4Gen, you have to space the pad 5mm because the NSX rotor is thicker. It's completely bolt up, there are no mods necessary.

For a 5Gen, you can use a 95 Legend GS rotor, and it fits perfect. You don't need any spacers or anything. Completely bolt up as well.

2 pistons distribute the force more evenly across the pad surface. This reduces pad taper and increased stopping efficiency. The NSX calipers are also a bit beefier, so they should help keep fade problems to a minimum. The piston area is a bit smaller, so the NSX calipers won't exert as much force on the pads, but it's still plenty to stop the car. I am not quite sure of the exact effect on brake balance that this has.

I used a set of Legend GS calipers and rotors for a bit. Same thing as the NSX calipers, but much cheaper, and the piston area is a little bigger (closer to stock, though).

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So this is a good mod to do? My fronts are at like 10% and will have to be changed in about 5k so I was thinking about getting some good pads, slotted rotors, and some NSX calipers. I was hopeing for better pedal feel and less fade.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by B16ASol:
So this is a good mod to do? My fronts are at like 10% and will have to be changed in about 5k so I was thinking about getting some good pads, slotted rotors, and some NSX calipers. I was hopeing for better pedal feel and less fade. </font>
You can get what you want from a synthetic fluid, regular fluid changes (whenever the fluid gets dark) and good aftermarket pads.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Will this mod also help stop rotor warp? I think I might have sightly warped a rotor last week on the highway going from 100 to 80 in a car length.

------------------
93 Si 4WS

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey what's up...

I encourage you to check out my article on about this topic on http://www.hondaprelude.com - there is a link to it at the top of the page. It should tell about everything that you want to know (for a 4th gen at least).

I am happy with the results of this conversion, but I really didn't notice much difference while driving on the street. I hope to test the brakes out at the track some day. Take care.

Kevin

------------------
http://www.thekev.com

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Hey, how's it going kev95si? I was wondering if you were on H-A.net. Good article on hp. I saw on a couple sites (carparts, NOPI) that NSX calipers were going for under a hundred bucks. I know you got your's for considerably more and wanted to know the difference. Some of the terminology confused me and wanted to know why theirs seemed so cheap.

Thanks a lot man.

JP

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey JP,

I'm glad you liked the article! I'm hoping that it helps some people out

Regarding the prices, I find it very hard to believe that you can get a working set of NSX calipers for under $100. I did check out carparts.com before I got mine and I was skeptical to order those, so I didn't. But if you give them a try and they work out, let me know! Anyways, my reasoning behind this is that brand new these calipers are around $1200/pair and just to buy the necessary parts for rebuilding them it's around $150 (not including new pistons/pins)! I'm sure it's possible, but it just seems strange that they could be that cheap, doesn't it? I may have paid a little over what you can get them for, but they should still be a couple/few hundred bucks for a a used set.

If you want to directly email me with any questions about terminology or whatever else, feel free: [email protected] I'll help you the best I can.

Take care,

kev

------------------

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Thanks man. I was very skeptical as well. I called NOPI and he verified the price but said they would be awhile to come in. I was unable to get ahold of carparts. After reading your article I really became weary of their pricing.

Not that it really matters, but what color are the stock NSX calipers available in, black or red?

Oh I just checked and NOPI took the calipers off of their site.

As far as terminology, I was looking at loaded, unloaded, preloaded. What exactly does loaded mean? Sorry if it sounds remedial.

Thanks again Kev and everyone else

JP

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kev95si:
Hey what's up...

I encourage you to check out my article on about this topic on http://www.hondaprelude.com - there is a link to it at the top of the page. It should tell about everything that you want to know (for a 4th gen at least).

I am happy with the results of this conversion, but I really didn't notice much difference while driving on the street. I hope to test the brakes out at the track some day. Take care.

Kevin

</font>
That was a damn good article Kev.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Regarding the stock color of the calipers: I'm not sure if they came in red (mine were already painted red by the previous owner when I got them). I sort of liked the striped down (silver) color that you can see in some of the pictures I took. I think they actually came in a typical greyish color, but I'm not positive on that one.

Loaded means that the calipers are ready to be put on the car, as they come with pads and possibly the necessary shims, etc (what am I forgetting?). Preloaded is probably the same thing...

Unloaded is just the opposite, no pads are included, etc.

I hope this helps...

Cantdrive: thanks man!

kev

------------------

·
Da Monkii
3,076 Posts
anyone got the part number on that NSX caliper, and also is thereany way i can useafter market rotor to fitthese NSX caliper o better that legend rotori think

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dragazn:
anyone got the part number on that NSX caliper, and also is thereany way i can useafter market rotor to fitthese NSX caliper o better that legend rotori think</font>
Are you thinking of ordering new NSX calipers? I wouldn't bother, they are something like $700 each at the dealer.

What exactly are you asking about the Legend rotors? Do you have a 5Gen?

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Da Monkii
3,076 Posts
yes i got a 5th gen, 01 ebp lude. someone said on nopi , carparts sell the caliper less than 100. about the legend rotor, can i just get some aftermarket rotor to fit with nsx caliper on 5th gen?

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dragazn:
yes i got a 5th gen, 01 ebp lude. someone said on nopi , carparts sell the caliper less than 100. about the legend rotor, can i just get some aftermarket rotor to fit with nsx caliper on 5th gen?</font>
NSX rotors do not fit. The hat offset isn't enough. The 95 Legend GS rotors will fit, though.

You aren't even going to find used NSX calipers for less than $300.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Would NSX calipers really make that much difference over stock? Since you use them with stock rotors it seems expensive to me, or is it really just to have 'NSX' showing through the wheels??
For the money, I would spend a little more and get an AP Racing set-up.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

[This message has been edited by U.K VTEC (edited April 18, 2001).]

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by U.K VTEC:
Would NSX calipers really makethat much difference over stock? Since you use them with stock rotors it seems expensive to me, or is it really just to have 'NSX' showing through the wheels??
For the money, I would spend a little more and get an AP Racing set-up.
</font>
Uh, the AP setup for the ITR runs about $2700 from what I have heard. At least, here in the States.

The NSX calipers offer a little better braking because the dual piston design spreads the force more evenly and prevents pad taper, but it won't help stopping distances.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
I can get the AP set-up for about UK£1100 (US$1700 ish) so it's worth a thought.I had one on my VW and it kicks ass big time.
315mm front rotors with kevlar pads and 4 pot calipers........stopped on a sixpence (a dime to you
) Downside being that you had to lose the ABS, but I always won races by outbraking people. It would (dangerously) lock the front wheels at about 110 mph if I pushed it hard enough.

I miss them....

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
554 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
NSX rotors do not fit. The hat offset isn't enough. The 95 Legend GS rotors will fit, though.

You aren't even going to find used NSX calipers for less than $300.

</font>
If you keep an eye on ebay, you *might*. I got mine for $250...shrug...

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by U.K VTEC:
I can get the AP set-up for about UK£1100 (US$1700 ish) so it's worth a thought.I had one on my VW and it kicks ass big time.
315mm front rotors with kevlar pads and 4 pot calipers........stopped on a sixpence (a dime to you
) Downside being that you had to lose the ABS, but I always won races by outbraking people. It would (dangerously) lock the front wheels at about 110 mph if I pushed it hard enough.

I miss them....
</font>
OH, you mean AP's street setup. I was talking about AP's race setup. The calipers are beefier, and they use 295mm two piece rotors to fit under 15 inch rims. Those run about $2700. By compairson, the Alcon kit runs $3500.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

1 - 20 of 20 Posts