Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the Prelude scene, as a previous Accord/Civic owner, this completes the conventional Honda coupe scene for me(I don't really take the S2k or the Del Sol into consideration, and I've done enough work on CRX's to have might as well owned one). Picked my 98 up on Thursday after test-driving an 03 Civic Si, and I'm delighted I went with the older Prelude. So much more balls than the Si ever dreamt of.

I've been looking around to do some minor mods(exhaust, intake, ignition, etc) and so far almost every exhaust I'm seeing is for the base model. Is there any way to make the base exhausts work on my SH?

It's a hard topic to search on, so forgive me if this has already been covered- I did find this topic but with no links or photos for what exactly I'm looking for, I'm lost. Intake should bolt up the same for a base or an SH though, right?

·
Registered
171 Posts
the intake is the same for the base and sh models but there is a difference in the header and exhaust. i dont think there's too much of a difference though, just the length of either part. i believe it's something about the header being too short and the exhaust being too long or something like that but don't quote me on it. can someone verify this?

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
The difference between a base exhaust and an sh is about 3-4". I am in the opposite boat. I had an exhaust from an sh and needed this piece to make it work:

As the SH b-pipe is about 4" shorter.
So to make the base exhaust work on an SH, you will need to shorten the B-pipe by roughly 4".

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The difference between a base exhaust and an sh is about 3-4". I am in the opposite boat. I had an exhaust from an sh and needed this piece to make it work:

As the SH b-pipe is about 4" shorter.
So to make the base exhaust work on an SH, you will need to shorten the B-pipe by roughly 4".
Just as simple as cutting/welding? Obviously I'd do it right, probably make the cut near one end and re-weld properly. If this is the case, I might do the exhaust this weekend.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just trying to cover my bases before a dump a few hundred bucks into an exhaust- no difference in the headers?

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
OH SNAP. I just realized that you are talking about an aftermarket exhaust. I already typed all this info below this, but it is good info, so I'm not deleting it. Okay. If it comes with the adapter I showed in the pic above, you don't need that. Sell it (but don't throw it out like Inspire. haha) If there is no adapter piece, then yes, you will probably have to have the length removed from the convertor end of the B-pipe, but make sure the shop that is putting it on does a test fit first. You don't want to cut the flange off, only to realize you didn't have to.
wow i didn't know it was used for that so i threw the extention piece out...FAIL
Yeah, that is what the Base needs to make that exhaust fit. You bastard, I had a hell of a time finding that piece, and here you are just throwing it in the trash. :pGreddy doesn't sell those separately. At least, that's what they told me. I saw somebody somewhere said they bought one from greddy for $60, but when I called Greddy, they acted like I was crazy. They sell a similar piece for $50 on OptAuto website (I think the piece is made by 5zigen)

Okay from what I understand, the exhaust from the engine back is different. The downpipe of the SH header is a different length than that of a Base because of the ATTS unit that it has to go around. Then the SH cat is a different length to account for the downpipe size difference. Then the B-pipe is a different length to account for the previous 2 pieces. The axleback(muffler) section is exactly the same.

So if you are going to mount a Base exhaust on an SH, you need to either not use that adapter, or shorten the B-pipe the 4 or so inches (cut the flange off the end that gets bolted to the cat, remove the proper length, then weld the flange back on.) Then when you get a header and or cat, make sure you get one for an SH.

Got it? I hope so. BTW, what exhaust are you thinking of?

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
My bad. Still, you guys get my drift. And thanks for correcting me. I hate putting false info out there.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@Lude Acts:

It makes sense. I'm used to dealing with the H22 Accords where everything is all but carbon copy identical. I wasn't completely sure what the difference was between the type SH and the base when I bought her last week, but 160k~ miles on what seems to be a well cared for Prelude, add a $4500 tag, and I was in love.

TBH, I hadn't decided on a system yet. I'm just going to build a wishlist for now, there's no way I can just go buy the mods I want right now. I am curious, however, if anyone here has had any success with some of the lesser/no-name brands that are littered all over eBay. $50-ish shipped on a full CAI designed to fit the Prelude beats the hell out of a couple hundred for an Apexi kit, and $150-ish for a full catback definitely kills some of the $400-ish Greddy exhaust kits I've seen. I'm not a brand whore(don't take that the wrong way, I understand the history behind companies like Greddy/Skunk2/etc) and I can deal with a no-name setup as long as it performs. In the end, that's what matters, right? :)

·
Granny Shifter
247 Posts
@Lude Acts:

It makes sense. I'm used to dealing with the H22 Accords where everything is all but carbon copy identical. I wasn't completely sure what the difference was between the type SH and the base when I bought her last week, but 160k~ miles on what seems to be a well cared for Prelude, add a $4500 tag, and I was in love.

TBH, I hadn't decided on a system yet. I'm just going to build a wishlist for now, there's no way I can just go buy the mods I want right now. I am curious, however, if anyone here has had any success with some of the lesser/no-name brands that are littered all over eBay. $50-ish shipped on a full CAI designed to fit the Prelude beats the hell out of a couple hundred for an Apexi kit, and $150-ish for a full catback definitely kills some of the $400-ish Greddy exhaust kits I've seen. I'm not a brand whore(don't take that the wrong way, I understand the history behind companies like Greddy/Skunk2/etc) and I can deal with a no-name setup as long as it performs. In the end, that's what matters, right? :)
An intake is an intake. They are all basically the same. Although I always recommend Short Ram Intakes, because with the CAI, you run the risk of sucking up water and hydrolocking the engine. I have an Injen SRI. I like it. As far as exhausts go, that is a little different. I had a $100 twin-loop universal muffler. I loved the sound, but since it was universal, and not Prelude-specific, the inlet was in a bad spot. Which then led to the exhaust shop that I took it to, ending up mounting it totally sideways because if they mounted it correctly, the piping would've hit my rear sway bar. Here's a pic:

You can see how the whole muffler hangs down and was visible as opposed to only being able to see the tip. Granted, this was just a muffler, and you wouldn't have this problem with a full catback, made for the Prelude, but most cheap ebay exhausts sound like a swarm of bees. They are real loud, real raspy, real ricer, most of the time. I just installed my used Greddy Evo1 that I picked up for $50. Then I had to buy that adapter piece to make it fit ($45 shipped), as the previous owner had an SH, and didn't have the piece. ( I found out today that I'm actually the 4th owner of this thing. The guy I bought it off of is in my Prelude Club, and he bought it off of a different guy in my Prelude Club, who bought it off of eBay 5 years ago. Yeah, 5 years!) Here's the pic of that. Sorry for the size, these are from the OHPOC site.

Anyway, what I'm saying is when it comes to exhaust, you kinda want a brand name one, because you can do research and find videos online of what they sound like, and pick the one you like best. There are good deals out there, you just have to find them. Search the parts classifieds of all the Prelude Forums and you're bound to find a good deal. But If you go no name ebay for an exhaust, you probably won't be happy with it for too long, and you'll want something else, which just equals wasted money.

Oh, and if anybody from another state steals my license plate, I'm cracking skulls. Think of your own ideas.:nono:

·
Living on a Warmer Buoy
2,768 Posts
First off, welcome to the site.

Secondly, these topics have been covered many a time here. Searching around for the answers is recommended.

The SH header downpipe is a different length. It is longer.

The catalytic converter is the same as the base model.

The SH exhaust mid pipe is a different length. It is shorter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
non-Sh exhaust

Hi , ya so i have a 97' SH that originally had the atts system, and now i've put in a H22 without atts system , i want to put in new exaust full , and wonder if brackets to attach exhaust are at the same place as base models , since i don't have atts anymore can i install non-SH exhaust ??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts