Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys i've got a quick question. my friend and i have been changing out the springs and shocks on his 2000 impreza 2.5RS, and we have had absolutely no need for a spring compressor. take the assembly out, set it down, take off the top nut and remove the spring.
so my question is....is that normal? do most cars require a spring compressor, this one just does not, or are spring compressors overrated? what about preludes, do they REQUIRE one when doing the work? thanks guys

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
Depends entirely on the car. On 4th/5th gen ludes you don't need a compressor for a spring with 1" or more of drop. Just take off the top nut and you're done.

·
Registered
211 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
hey guys i've got a quick question. my friend and i have been changing out the springs and shocks on his 2000 impreza 2.5RS, and we have had absolutely no need for a spring compressor. take the assembly out, set it down, take off the top nut and remove the spring.
so my question is....is that normal? do most cars require a spring compressor, this one just does not, or are spring compressors overrated? what about preludes, do they REQUIRE one when doing the work? thanks guys
</font>
You still need a spring compressor to take the stock springs out...you don't need one to put the new lowering springs in...

------------------
//935 Wiked Draggers
San Diego, CA
http://www.935draggers.com

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
you need the spring compressor cuz the springs are pre-loaded in the assembly. You dont really need one if you have a big matress and balls of steel and want to shoot it at the matress (it will actually go in two directions unless you step on the assembly). When my bro and I did our fronts, we used the compressor, and though it was a pain in the ass, its better than getting messed up from the spring.. but when we took it to our mechanic (we installed the c-clip upside down) he said he just took off the top and let it shoot off. So... its up to you =)

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
the farthest the spring will shoot is like 20-25 feet for the stocks. Just wind the strut and spring up in a huge blanket or towel and release the center nut, keep your hands and eyes clear of it (obviously). Keep your foot on the strut assembly with the towel wrapped around it and just slowly unscrew the center nut. it might make you jump but its not some huge explosion or anything. maybe you can shoot it into a rubbermaid trash can or something.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well we've already took them all off, the reason i was asking was because the farthest any of them shot was about 1/2", and those springs were compressed 3" to begin with. so if a spring with a 3" compression shoots about 1/2" how can our springs shoot any more than that?

·
Premium Member
4,530 Posts
a friend and I were putting coilovers on a Civic Si a few months ago and the stock springs shot in to the road, but that was the farthest I have ever seen; I am sure all springs are different.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Registered
195 Posts
when ever i did springs my friends and i went and got a compressor... to me, safety first... no need to risk having a spring shot off into ur chest or anything, especially since you can get a compressor for free! rent it, and return it for your money back... i'm sure compressors were created for a reason... otherwise why would they be around? necessity is the mother of invention...

------------------

Where'd you go? I was ONLY in 3rd...
Mmmmm - Girl scout cookies - made with real girl scouts!

·
Registered
195 Posts
When I did my springs, I had a spring compressor... but it could not fit on the coils cause they were to close.

So I end'd up shooting springs too.

[This message has been edited by Luder-xhpx (edited April 19, 2001).]

1 - 9 of 9 Posts