Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Sportshift Prelude. The guy I bought it from had tons of work done to it and it has a rebuilt/new (not sure) transmission. The car had a bunch of rewiring done and the immobilizer system was bypassed or something so the car will run. The car runs great other than the fact that it has no 2nd gear. I can only drive it in sportshift and go from 1st to 3rd gear. 1, 3, and 4 work fine, but not 2nd. If I shift to 2nd, the car just revs. Does anyone have any ideas on what I should do? What could be causing this?

·
Pimp Member
3,949 Posts
Sounds like your tranny has crapped out. It's a known thing to happen for the Auto Preludes which is why a lot of people do 5spd swaps

·
I am now a 5spd lude!
474 Posts
See about doing a 5spd swap, or gettinfg another auto trans with LOW mileage....more than likely the auto trans will crap out on you again though

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it bad to drive it in this condition? Will I damage the other gears? I can shift into second, but my rpms just increase without an increase in speed.

·
street racing instructor
3,384 Posts
There's a high probability your tranny is dying. Either replace it with another auto or swap a manual in. There are a million threads on the subject, so please do some reading.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2nd might be slipping or you might have a bad solenoid. Try these out. Worth a try and wont cost you anything
I have this same problem, same gear and I do the same thing to get around the problem and I know that there's many threads about it, however, I have never read anything about a bad solenoid being the possible culprit.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this as a possible reasoning for the problem, or RomPirate can you elaborate as to why you think this could be the reason why 2nd slips??

Is is possible to narrow it down to just one solenoid so I don't have to hit and miss and return them if it doesn't work.

Would the check engine code be different for a solenoid compared to the tranny code.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have this same problem, same gear and I do the same thing to get around the problem and I know that there's many threads about it, however, I have never read anything about a bad solenoid being the possible culprit.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this as a possible reasoning for the problem, or RomPirate can you elaborate as to why you think this could be the reason why 2nd slips??

Is is possible to narrow it down to just one solenoid so I don't have to hit and miss and return them if it doesn't work.

Would the check engine code be different for a solenoid compared to the tranny code.

ok well, i at one point did get tranny codes,, for solenoid b being bad.. and yah my 2nd gear over revs, but does engage eventually, so i changed the solenoid and nothing happenned.. now swapping it for a LOW mile auto for 300. cuz 5spd swaps are un heard of in my town. and i cant pay for it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
My 2nd will only not over rev if I push down on the gas pedal 1/8 of the way, anymore and it over revs.

That's disappointing to hear that the solenoid didn't work for you, I was feeling hopeful.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
People who buy sporty cars with automatic transmissions :nono:

People who buy sporty cars and replace the automatic transmission with another automatic transmission :mad:

If you just learn to use a clutch, you then get to actually drive a car instead of just steering it. Not to mention, it's better for gas mileage, power, speed, and maintenance.

·
Registered
92 Posts
People who buy sporty cars with automatic transmissions :nono:

People who buy sporty cars and replace the automatic transmission with another automatic transmission :mad:

If you just learn to use a clutch, you then get to actually drive a car instead of just steering it. Not to mention, it's better for gas mileage, power, speed, and maintenance.
Knowing how to use a clutch has nothing to do with my reasoning for getting the auto, 5 out of the 6 cars that I've owned in the 6 years that I've been driving have been manuals, this one I got a deal on, 5k for a 100k mile auto was an easy sell, although I didn't know about the possible tranny probs so that was the real suck to find out after purchasing it, but even 5k plus 2k tops to swap the tranny is still feeling like a good deal.

But if I can find some way to get around the swap for the moment till I have the time and money to do a swap, I'll surely welcome the possibilities as I'm sure any auto driver would, no matter what there reasoning for buying an auto rather then a manual.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm going to try pushing the gas pedal down lightly to see if 2nd engages. Haha. This car has been one problem after another. The alternator was bad, and I thought that would fix the problem of my battery dying. It didn't; I have a parasitic draw somewhere in my system, and now I have to unhook the battery every time I'm going to park the car for a day. No more radio presets :(.

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
I'm going to try pushing the gas pedal down lightly to see if 2nd engages. Haha. This car has been one problem after another. The alternator was bad, and I thought that would fix the problem of my battery dying. It didn't; I have a parasitic draw somewhere in my system, and now I have to unhook the battery every time I'm going to park the car for a day. No more radio presets :(.
Do you have an amplifier?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No, I don't have an amplifier, but the previous owner did. Could some old connection be draining it where the amplifier used to be?

·
Registered
5 Posts

Same problem😖Maybe pressure switch or a short somewhere.ice had my tranny out 3 times

1 - 19 of 19 Posts