Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any experience, be it indirect or direct, with the nitto 450? I need to replace a tire, so i'm changing out 2 in back and putting my front kumhos in the back. I went through the posts so i know about the other ones but no ones mentioned these.

I don't auto-x so handling isn't a problem, i want something that will last a while and still have forward traction off the line.

i don't want to go w/ kumhos again, my 2 were okay but they wore down so fast cuz of weather conditions mostly. p7000, a520, have soft rubber and wear down quickly from what i hear. i guess i just wanna "hear" about the 450s. Thanks guys
-Guy

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
2 words come to mind about the 450s...

THEY SUCK!!!

i had them on for, oh, about 6-7k miles before i threw them out. during that couple of months, i had to replace 2 tires already due to potholes. once the time came to replace the 3rd, i said no and went w/ 4 brand new tires instead.

------------------
OG H-A Member
AIM: ImagePree
1997 San Marino Red SH

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**

Who else wants these Jammies???

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
they're durable in terms of treadwear. that's about it. the sidewalls are extremely soft. (keep in mind that these are NYC potholes i'm getting into) the rubber is hard, which means bad traction.. wet traction is no better than the stockies. *shrugs*

i have sumitomo HTR-Z 225/45 on stock rims right now... they wear pretty fast, but sidewalls are stiff.. and traction is awesome, dry and wet. (ooh, that sounds dirty!
)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha thanks for the info, yeah i'm just gonna repair the rear tire, its a hole in the center so it should be fixable. I'll just wait and get something else a little later on.

argh dallas stars are in overtime again, why can't they hurry up and win!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would also like to un-recommend the Nitto 450's. They were barely better than stock, unless you are talking the wet -- they resisted hydroplaning better, probably because of the tread pattern. Still, you have a good handling sports car, you might as well put good tires on it and actually make use of some of that handling. My only regrets from getting rid of them are that I can no longer bark the tires in 3rd gear, and I no longer slide the rear around certain corners. It's less exciting without them, but I'm sure it's more productive. Oh, and the Nittos never would balance perfectly smooth. It was a bad experience, almost as bad as the stock tires. The Toyos, while not perfect, are so much better it's not even funny. They are also a lot more expensive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts