Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks,

I'm curious as to if there is any real difference between Iridium and Platnum NGK spark plugs when used in an H22 Prelude engine.

(I've got a 5th Gen.)

I know the car comes with platnum NGKs... but I'm wondering if Iridium are the same, better, worse, etc. in terms of durability and performance.

I've noticed they are cheaper (iridium).

Gerhard

·
Registered
263 Posts
..im wondering the same thing...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
i was going to get the platinums but a shop i went to told me to get Denso platinums over the NGK...i did a complete tune up and fixed an exhaust leak so i wasnt able to tell if the plugs helped or not because the leak was the source of most of my problems...going by what he told me they are 1 step colder than the iridium ones

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... does anyone have a clue as to if the Iridium NGK's are any good??

Are they on par with the NGK platnums??

Anyone??

Beuler... Beuler... Beuler...

Anyone... Anyone... Anyone...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Gerhard: From what everyone on here has said on this forum (5th gen) NGK seems to be what we all go with... I know that I have gone with the NGK Platinums.

If you here something different pass it along :)

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
LUDE'Z said:
Are the coppers better or the platinums for a H22.
I would say they are very comparable. Sure platinums last a long time, but for the price you can throw in a fresh set of coppers every year and still break even price wise.

·
Registered
973 Posts
platinums are crap for performance. the ngk iridiums have a larger tip then denso iridiums so they are more durable, but won't give make as much power which is why denso makes the tips so small. (of course if you can believe the hype)

i would try the ngk iridiums if they made them in the 7 heat range just to see since they are like $7 per plug v. denso which is $11.

otherwise i'll stick with my NGK copper 7 heat range and change them once a year.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I guess I'll try the NGK Iridiums... besides... they be cheap.

I suppose I could just change them every year or so...

I've had the platnum plugs in there for about 50000 miles.

-Gerhard

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THUNDERCAT98 said:
How's the fresh Swap doing Gerhard?
Ordered the NGK Iridiums for 31.00 including shipping.

The swap is going well.

My idea about using the metal spacer wasn't a bad idea.

However, it does turn out that there is a 3rd bolt hole and a rubber spacer that are used to completely steady the clutch.

My thought is to drill a hole where that 3rd hole on the base 5 speed pedal is into the firewall. Then I'll simply use a bolt, when 3 nuts to steady it: 1 on the inside of the firewall, one on the inside of the clutch, one on the outside of the clutch. Basically:

|--|-------|<clutch>|--

| = nut

Other than that things are going fairly well. I'm concerned that I might have an engine problem... but I'm not sure yet.

-Gerhard

·
Registered
576 Posts
Iridiums are the latest technology in spark plugs. Yes, they ae supposed to be the best plug out their. Platnums are sweet too. Copper plugs is what I use. cheapest and I swap them out every year. I like doing this because it's always just a random time when I change them, making it a good check every year on how the motor is running.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Gerhard said:

However, it does turn out that there is a 3rd bolt hole and a rubber spacer that are used to completely steady the clutch.

My thought is to drill a hole where that 3rd hole on the base 5 speed pedal is into the firewall. Then I'll simply use a bolt, when 3 nuts to steady it: 1 on the inside of the firewall, one on the inside of the clutch, one on the outside of the clutch. Basically:

|--|-------|<clutch>|--

| = nut

Other than that things are going fairly well. I'm concerned that I might have an engine problem... but I'm not sure yet.

-Gerhard
yes that's what some people do to mount the clutch pedal or you if you are good at welding you can weld it in like stock. this took an extra couple days for the shop to finish that up for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts