Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a such thing? Should I be easy on them for the first couple hundred miles or so?

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
yes there is a break in period so the belts and stuff inside the tire to flex and stuff. Im not sure how long that is, but yes there is a break in period for new tires

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
NoRice4U said:
Rule #1 = No Burnouts lol
Thats not too difficult in a FWD car with only an intake. :p

I was testing them out though today, pushing them pretty hard through the twisties. I think I'll lay off them for a couple hundred miles and then go do my thing. I have to drive back to Jersey tommorrow anyway, so that should help.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
There is, you need to get the tires scrubbed in before you go romping on them. New tires tend to be slick I've noticted for the first couple hundred miles. Out of all the sets I've had (three) I've seen this to be true.

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Yeah, for most street tires, there is a thin film that is usually pretty slick that manufacturers coat the outside suface of the tires with. The coating is so that the rubber does not dry out and loose its compliance and stickiness before a consumer buys it. It also keeps the tire cleaner for pre-sale. You normally only need to drive maybe 100-200mi max to wear the coating off. I don't know if I'd call that a "break in period" though... Just use common sense, and don't drive all crazy on brand new tires because the coating could be slicker than you might expect.

Race tires do have more of a break-in required. Many R-compounds need to be heat cycled before being used. Otherwise the soft rubber can store excessive heat and blister quickly the first time they are used under load. It depends on the tire manufactuer's recommendations for that particular tire.

Andrew

1 - 12 of 12 Posts