Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I just bought a 1999 prelude, white, 5 speed, and love it. I have a few questions that im sure have been asked a million times, so ill apologize now, but i couldnt find much information when i did a search. Im not planning on doing too many mods, at least at this point, im a poor college student for 1 more year.
I do plan on buying an intake soon and have a few questions. First, can anyone convince me that the AEM is worth 3 times the cost of the CAIs on ebay? I had an intake on my last car and am mostly looking for the great sound it gave me, the extra HP is great, but if an AEM gets me 5 hp, and a cheap intake gets 3 i doubt ill shell out the extra 100 bucks. Also, has anyone seen or used the steel mesh filters, how do these compare to the k&n style both in performance and filtering?

Finally, i love the look of the reverse indiglo gauges, but believe it or not, i actually like the look of red or orange dash lights. Does anyone know if there are any companies that make white or silver face reverse indiglo gauges that light up orange, red, or both?

·
Official PO.com Fob
2,062 Posts
i've seen aem's go for as low as $100 brand new. personally, i wouldn't get a ebay intake...why? cuz i don't trust it. just look around the parts classified forums, or online shops, and you'll probably find someone trying to sell one. you don't wanna get those cheapy ebay ones...if u care for ur car, then get parts that are guranteed to work.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
About the intakes bro i have had to 250 dollar one and i am currently using a Bomz CAI and tell u the truth the bomz intake seems like it pulls harder and it was only 60 or 70 bucks. Just my .02 and congrats on the car by the way youll love it:)

·
Registered
777 Posts
the only differences is the filter, not the pipes, at last i think

Ebay copies would be just fine, its not like a bolt is going to fly off and get sucked in somehow?..its all the filter in my opinion

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
Welcome to PO. It seems like you are new to the tuning world. You will learn a lot on this site so make sure you visit at least 10 times in a day. I would never get a no name brand anything on ebay. It is worth the extra money to get something nice. If you can find a AEM intake on ebay then go for it but don't get AEM like intake, those are cheap, IMO.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
dang 9psi..why dont i see you in the street racing forum. you should be racking up some kills or u dont street race.

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
I do agree that AEM is a very decent brand, and it makes decent products but pipe is a pipe, until someone actually posts a dyno on how AEM intake can kick a generic intake's ass as of hp gain on prelude, i don't think there's big difference beside AEM has the coating on which you can make that up by using heat wrap, you're paying AEM for the R&D and CARB sticker

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
godfather16 said:
I got my AEM CAI from a fellow PO member here, new for $50....
Now THAT'S a deal :bigthumb:
J

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You might be able to get the same results with an ebay knockoff and a K&N filter but I personally would just shell out the cash for and AEM CAI. I got mine new for $170, but you can get used ones for $100 or less. Just search the parts forum from time to time.

·
IM CURED!
1,165 Posts
hey welcome to da hood. well ill tell you why i got my cai,because i like the look and sound + its legal too and it has nothing but good reviews on it

·
Premium Member
1,813 Posts
azninside said:
one of the main reasons why people get the AEM....is that the quality is better, the gains/sounds are great....an it's CARB LEGAL! :D
there are $65 cai on ebay that's CARB legal too

·
Putt Putt...Vroom Vroom!
2,821 Posts
I'm running an AEM Short Ram currently, really like the sound, but performance is bleh once the engine bay gets warm.

I'm getting the k&n cai since i prototyped for them; wonder how it'll be.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the advice, i think the one i was looking at on ebay is the same one that sharkcohen posted in the link. Sounds like there is mixed opinions on the AEM vs generic. I may hold out a while to see if i can get an AEM for around 100.
Anyone know about the steel mesh vs. k&n style filters??

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
If you are going with the generic I would definitely get the K&N filter over the steel mesh. There is a reason why all of the good intakes use that kind of filter. BTW welcome to the board.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts