Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My N2 header should be here today or tomorrow. I was wondering---do you get all the gaskets you need for installation or do you need to re-use some of the old gaskets??? I'm figuring there are 3 gaskets involved--1 from engine to header, 1 between the two pieces of the header, and 1 from the header to the cat. Any help/suggestions would be grrrrrrrreat!

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
you can reuse the stock gasket if your car is still fairly new, i used my old one and it works fine. However, it's all up to you, you can't go wrong with a new gasket and they're only like $6-10 anyway. My old one looks a bit rusty, but then again in michigan no one really looks under the hood.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Which one did you have to reuse? Do you have to get the new one from a dealer or can you get it at Pep Boys?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
You can use 4th and 5th gen stock gaskets for the upper header to lower header as well as from the header to the cat. For whatever reason my N2 header didn't come with those gaskets. I replaced the factory head to header gasket jsut to be safe.

Two things to look out for when your doing it. First the coating had gobbed up the threads so you'll want to thread the bolts through a few times to get them cleared out off the car. Second the factory mount at the rear of the header to the engine (this is underneath near the trans on a SH) didn't bolt up. My N2 header sat at least an inch higher (closer to the motor) then the facotry pipe so you need to drill two new holes to get that bracket to work. Kind of a PITA but not the worst thing to have to do.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is also an SH--did you order the correct one? I guess I should get the drill out.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ttt

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuderChris:
Mine is also an SH--did you order the correct one? I guess I should get the drill out.</font>
Yup it's the right one it's just that it sits tighter to the car. Someone with a 4th Gen said the same thing was up with theirs as well. It's not a big deal and to me I like the idea that it sits higher to the car leaving less chance of it hitting something since my car is lowered.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What gaskets do I need to buy before the install and where do I get them??????

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ttt

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuderChris:
What gaskets do I need to buy before the install and where do I get them??????</font>
If your like me you'll want to be sure you have a new gasket from the head to the header. I got mine at the dealer for $12 or something like that. Wait for the header and see how many O ring gaskets they give you. You'll need three total, two for the upper header to the downpipe and one for the downpipe to attach to the cat. If they don't give you three then you can go to any auto parts store and buy them for any 4th or 5th gen VTEC Prelude. I told them it was the gasket between the header and the cat and they had the correct one for me.

------------------

1 - 10 of 10 Posts