Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I've been looking for a header for quite a while now. I know to avoid DC Sports because of very low gains and Mugen is a bit too $$$ for me. SMSP and RMF have been pretty quiet about their productions. I found this one on ebay last night and ordered it. What do you think? Did I make a mistake or did I get it at a nice price? I paid $370 shipped.

eBay Motors: Honda Prelude Accord H22 Tri Y Header HYTECH TODA SPOON (item 300286626975 end time Jan-22-09 19:27:32 PST)

I checked the seller's feedback and he's been selling headers for a lil while and the reviews from the customer's are great. I was just a bit concerned that I was too excited and I didn't even check whether it was for a base model (mine) or an SH model. I sent him an email this morning and he also provides his phone number in the auction, so I'll be giving him a call. Any thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I think you might do okay for the price, the biggest factor always seemed to be collector size and this is a 2.5" collector. Price isnt crazy but might be a bit high depending on the quality of the welds.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
This is an RMF clone, but I don't know who built it. $500 is fine if it is a good copy.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I contacted the seller and canceled the deal. What I did was contact 2 people who purchased similar headers from this seller asking them how they liked theirs and about the gains and quality. This is the answer that I got from one of them:

"I sold it right after I got it. The quality was poor and the ground clearance is horrible for the B Series. Good seller bad product."

Seller was nice enough to oblige and I got my money refunded back to Paypal.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Just pick up a used DC stainless and mod the collector.
First that's a pain in the ass to have done unless you have a good shop to do the work and second you still risk the rest of the header having problems with their welds.

For the cost of a used DC, plus the collector, plus the labor you're getting pretty close to the price of one of these without the hassles and a better overall design.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wouldn't even install a free DC header. I've seen the dynos. I wouldn't waste the install money for minuscule gains.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I contacted the seller and canceled the deal. What I did was contact 2 people who purchased similar headers from this seller asking them how they liked theirs and about the gains and quality. This is the answer that I got from one of them:

"I sold it right after I got it. The quality was poor and the ground clearance is horrible for the B Series. Good seller bad product."

Seller was nice enough to oblige and I got my money refunded back to Paypal.
In fairness the B series header and BB6 headers are going to be much different, just because its poor fitment on one doenst mean it will be bad on your car.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I agree but I was more worried about the "The quality was poor" part of his reply. Since I am not able to hold the header and examine it personally, I'd rather trust someone who is an enthusiast like me and had a chance to examine the unit than go through the hassle of shipping it back. Savvy?

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Good point, maybe try to see if the seller would give a refund if the quality looked poor before buying? For the design and cost it might be worth spending a few dollars on shipping or something to take an in person look. The only other good alternatives are either way more expensive or a Vibrant which nobody can seem to find anymore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yea, I just talked to Hytech and they are taking orders but their header runs from $1250-$1350 (short or long versions.) Must be nice to get 18-20 proven whp though.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Good point, maybe try to see if the seller would give a refund if the quality looked poor before buying? For the design and cost it might be worth spending a few dollars on shipping or something to take an in person look. The only other good alternatives are either way more expensive or a Vibrant which nobody can seem to find anymore.
The Vibrant should be back this summer.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
Yea, I just talked to Hytech and they are taking orders but their header runs from $1250-$1350 (short or long versions.) Must be nice to get 18-20 proven whp though.
Wait, I know they're good but those claims have to be slightly exaggerated and at the crank not the wheels.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well no, there have been dyno tests done which show those gains with the whp figures, but that's with a;ready existing intake/catback, high flow cat installed which help with the whole thing than just a header by itself.

·
BB6'n till R34'n
6,093 Posts
Well no, there have been dyno tests done which show those gains with the whp figures, but that's with a;ready existing intake/catback, high flow cat installed which help with the whole thing than just a header by itself.
Your forgetting tuning done with an EMS like; neptune, hondata, chrome, etc.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts