Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So last year I bought a 2001 prelude sh. Ive been working on it off and on and one thing Ive noticed is that in neutral it doesnt rev past 4k, but while driving it seems fine. The obd2 also isnt reading at all. It thinks the car is off. Ive checked all the fused in the driver footwell and in the engine bay. The cars not in the best shape, but Ive replaced the brake booster, master cylinder, IAC, and did all plugs, wires, distributor cap, and rotor recently. When I bought it it seemed to have a spare ecu in the trunk. The ATTS light has also always been on in the cluster. One last thing as well is that even after I did the IAC it still has trouble cold starting. It wants to stall out so I have to hold gas at 1500 or so for anywhere from 2-8 minutes or so. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can't rev pass 4k RPM while in neutral but can do so in gear? That is pretty strange. On one of my Honda Accord's, automatic, I couldn't get passed 3k RPM and found the problem to be the regulator on the alternator. I replaced the alternator and it worked fine after that. I am at awe because you are able to rev pass 4k when in gear. For the Prelude there are two parts to look at for idling the IAC and FITV. Here are some useful youtube videos. Might be worth cleaning them both and see if that helps. The fast idle valve is usually the one that regulates the RPM during cold starts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can't rev pass 4k RPM while in neutral but can do so in gear? That is pretty strange. On one of my Honda Accord's, automatic, I couldn't get passed 3k RPM and found the problem to be the regulator on the alternator. I replaced the alternator and it worked fine after that. I am at awe because you are able to rev pass 4k when in gear. For the Prelude there are two parts to look at for idling the IAC and FITV. Here are some useful youtube videos. Might be worth cleaning them both and see if that helps. The fast idle valve is usually the one that regulates the RPM during cold starts.

Cool thanks for the tip, Ill check out those vids and see if cleaning the FITV helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts