Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking to someone that's going to sell me springs on top of my koni sports. I was originally going to get H&R sports (1.4") but he mentioned that the neuspeeds are "better" with the difference that they are 1.5" (rear) and 1.7" (front) to level the car out. Now, from the topics here, I hear that H&R is pretty much a good way to go to get a close to stock ride...He mentioned that regardless the sports setup will (H&R or Neuspeed) I'll probably see about a 35% stiffer than stock setup.

Has anyone here had any experience with these neuspeeds? or should I have him order the H&R's instead?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
GOt Neuspeed Sport springs on Koni "yellow" shocks and they rock. The ride remains reasonably smooth but cornering is much tighter. I think the fact that I also have strut tower bars and a Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar is making the ride even better still. Yes, Neuspeed says that their springs are actually 40% stiffer than stock. Ride height is fine too. (my car-5th gen Base SS)

------------------
Prelude forever-It's so nice going fast on the open road

·
Registered
698 Posts
i have neuspeed sports, i love them. I've had them for over a year and a half now on stock shocks with no problem. THey'll probably be great on konis....here's some pics showing the drop

·
Registered
235 Posts
Someone else might be able to answer this better than I can but from what I've heard...

H&R used to make Springs for Neuspeed and during that time Neuspeed springs were considered to be a good spring to buy. Now H&R does not make springs for Neuspeed and most people I talk to say they're not the greatest spring to get.

Again this is only what I've heard, not from personal experience or anything.

Also I kinda like the slightly staggered look on the Lude so I'd get springs that lowered the car evenly all around.

BTW I have H&R Sports.

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

[This message has been edited by SlntSam (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
well u know I'm gonna vote for the Neuspeed's CUZ I HAVE THEM!!!!!!

I don't know about the H&R's, but the Neuspeed's are progressive rated.

And about the stiffness, IMO it's the shocks dampening/rebound that give u most of the stiff/soft feeling of the ride, the springs do contribute but not a whole lot. If u don't dial in the Koni's to full stiff, I'm sure u should be fine. My .02

------------------
01' Base 5-Speed
AEM CAI, Neuspeed Frt.Bar, Neuspeed Sports & KYB AGX, Type-R Wing

Parts to be installed-
Apex V-AFC- anyone wanna help me out w/this one??

·
Registered
698 Posts
yeah, when I got my neuspeeds in 99, i had heard that neuspeed and H&R were the same.....i don't think that is the case anymore

·
Registered
188 Posts
i just got recently got Neuspeeds because i've heard nothing but good remarks about them...in fact i heard the best combo(other than bad ass coilovers) was neuspeeds with Koni's

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 98 San Marino SH:
yeah, when I got my neuspeeds in 99, i had heard that neuspeed and H&R were the same.....i don't think that is the case anymore</font>
Well..actually I think H&R makes the springs for Neuspeed. My main concern thing is that I'm wondering how much of a rougher ride the Neuspeeds are when compared to the H&R's I'm guessing that they will be a bit harsher with the larger drop..but then again, I kinda like the drop difference in the front and rear to level the car out a bit more.

·
Registered
702 Posts
They used to. Neuspeed makes their own now. They are known to sag a bit and be kinda bouncy from things i have heard. I Just picked up a set of H&R's last week. Cant wait to get them installed.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by muncher:
Well..actually I think H&R makes the springs for Neuspeed. My main concern thing is that I'm wondering how much of a rougher ride the Neuspeeds are when compared to the H&R's I'm guessing that they will be a bit harsher with the larger drop..but then again, I kinda like the drop difference in the front and rear to level the car out a bit more.

</font>

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
Muncher- the "difference" in drop is not noticeable! Did u notice I had diff. drops when u saw my car that day?

The only way to see the diff is if u stick ur fingers to measure or something.

Again, the Neuspeed's are progressive rated, meaning they have diff spring rates within the spring, so stiffness from bigger drop shouldn't be a concern. Anyone know if the H&R's are progressive or linear rated?

·
Registered
698 Posts
usually, if the coils are equi-distant from each other, its a linear spring (like stock)

progressive springs, the coils get closer together on one end....

am I right?

·
Registered
235 Posts
H&R's are progressive, both Race and Sports.

I personally think H&R's are a better spring. Maybe I'm biased but when I was shopping around for springs Neuspeeds weren't on my list. I was either considering H&R's or Eibach's.

you can see what other people say about their springs at www.carreview.com they have people's personal reviews on most import parts.

------------------
SlntSam

2000 Base, Sebring Silver
Member - Toronto Prelude Club

[This message has been edited by SlntSam (edited April 26, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 98 San Marino SH:
usually, if the coils are equi-distant from each other, its a linear spring (like stock)

progressive springs, the coils get closer together on one end....

am I right?
</font>
ABSOTIVELY

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chong:
what the difference between progressive
and linear springs?

</font>
on progressive rate springs, the coils get closer together as you reach the bottom of the spring, resulting in varying spring rates throughout. this makes them ride softer at normal loads and get stiffer as load increases. on linear, the coils are all the same distance from each other, and the wholespring has the same rate.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
I think they make progressive rate springs with the coils evenly spaced don't they? I thought that the rate might also have something to do with the heat used when the coil was wound. (?)

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Which one is better for everyday driving?
The closest to stock.
Should i change my oem shocks or get new
ones for a 1.5" drop?
It's for my 5G

------------------

www.montrealpreludeclub.com

1999 Prelude Black
1991 Prelude Black SR

·
Registered
838 Posts
Ok, I have Koni Yellow + H&R Race.
So far, the ride feels smooth. Except going over potholes, u will hear knocking noises, and that's because H&R is progressive and the coil that are close together are knocking each other out. That's the downside of it. I'm not sure if anyone has this experience but I sure do. Other than the knocking noise, everything is good.

Now when you mention neuspeed drop 1.7" and 1.5" front/rear respectively just to make it even. Keep this in mind, when you do a WTO, the front will actually lower itself. Know what I mean? That is why, the front is always higher than the rear. From my sig, you can see how low it drops.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

1 - 18 of 18 Posts