Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I was driving to school today on the freeway, my car just suddenly stalled. After a minute of trying to crank it, it fired up and worked just fine. I'm pretty sure it's not my ignition switch because the instrument panels are still on. (BTW I had this infamous ignition switch problem a while ago, and I fixed it). My guess would be:

1. Bad main relay
2. Fuel pump is about to die

Funny thing is that I have 2 main relays laying around but they all came from a 92 Prelude from the junk yard (so there's no way for sure to tell that this is the culprit, unless I try it out with a new main relay because for all I know my extra relay could also be faulty). I switched both relays and drove around town...same result after 30 minutes of driving, the car stalled but fires up after a minute or so. So what do you guys think could be causing this? and what's the symptom of a fuel pump that's about to give up?

BTW let me know if my post doesn't make sense because I'm not feeling well today and I'm doing my Java project at the same time I'm writing this post :D

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
yeah, that sorta happened to me, i cranked my car up in my friends driveway and it just cranked like normal then stalled........it took a min to crank, but it cranked fine and ran fine.....could this be fuel as well?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yea I was thinking maybe a bad main relay because if your fuel pump goes dead, it's dead no matter what. Electric motors either work or not, there's no in between. I guess I'll have to order a brand new main relay. Used parts are just unpredictable (like my 2 sets of main relay that are no good :D )

·
Registered
419 Posts
Yeah...the main relays you have might not be that good since it came out of a 92, that is about 10-11 years old. So I will suggest testing the relay to see if it gets primed when the ignition is turned.
This is what I did when I had problems with the relay, I placed my hand on the relay and turned the key to the "on" position and felt the "click" on the main relay.
If you do decide to get the main relay, get the one for the 96 prelude because I think it was redesigned last time I checked.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
i was meaning, but was not clear about it, what is different.....i know it is redesigned.....better fuel economy, more reliable?

·
Registered
4,319 Posts
UBetterBelieveIt said:
i was meaning, but was not clear about it, what is different.....i know it is redesigned.....better fuel economy, more reliable?
i dont see how it would yeild better fuel economy, probably more reliable and/or cheaper to produce.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep. Problem was with my main relay. Problem solved :bigthumb:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts