Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heya.
I need to lose as much weight from the front of a '99 SH as possible - the front being everything from the driver's seat to the front licence plate. Aside from lighter seats for driver/passenger and relocating the battery (and probably getting a smaller one anyways), where else can I shave of a few dozen pounds..? Is the stock exhaust really heavy compared to good after-market stuff..? What about the ATTS system - can something be done about it..? And has anyone bothered to take off the damper in the front just ahead of the radiator..?

Thanks for any insight you can share.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
You are likely pissing in the wind... our cars are nose heavy, plain and simple.

You can remove the front dampening mass, I think it's a dozen pounds or so. It's located behind the grill, in front of the rad, bolted to the bumper support. Doesn't do anything but add dampening for idle vibration.

Aftermarket exhaust/header stuff should be lighter but not by much. Your best bet is to relocate the battery (wouldn't go smaller, the redistribution will help and you won't lose capacity). That's about it, you can remove the cruise and some of the emissions stuff (if you can swap ECUs or otherwise defeat it) but you won't save more than maybe 10 lbs for all that crap.

You can remove the bumper support, but wouldn't recommend it for the street- it will save a lot of weight, but make the car VERY insecure on the street.

·
Registered
188 Posts
aftermarket headers are considerably lighter. also underneath the front seats there is a lot of sound deadening material, you can get rid of that. underneath the console is more, and there is miscellaneous trim pieces under there also, check them out and see if they're integral to anything, if not, you can scrap those.

·
Registered
162 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BluePowder7:
Heya.
I need to lose as much weight from the front
</font>
My wife says the same thing about me!

Oh... you were talking about your car....

------------------
Martin Moran
Stock 2000 Prelude SH
Sebring Silver Metallic
"When you're caffineated, all is right with the world..."

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
get a carbon fiber hood, relocate your battery to the rear, take the heat shield off the header, empty your windshield washer fluid...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So far, I've removed EVERYTHING from the rear half of the interior, and the exhaust heat shield (very light, no biggie), the front sway bar is already gone (handling is up!), and most of the emmissions is removed (only the EVAP is still in place).

The battery will be moved soon, but I haven't thought about looking under the carpet - guess I'll do that soon! Anyone have any more ideas...?

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Carbon fiber hood, remove fog lights (if you have them), lighter steering wheel

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH (stock)
-15.4 @ 90.8 (finally! ;))

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
just add alot of weight to ur trunk and make it outweigh the front! no more nose dives.. maybe

·
too much jdm stuff
842 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BluePowder7:
So far, I've removed EVERYTHING from the rear half of the interior, </font>
Have you taken out all the heater stuff from under the passenger dash? I think marcucci or 71DSP had mentioned something about what crap you can get rid of under there.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">...I haven't thought about looking under the carpet - guess I'll do that soon! Anyone have any more ideas...?</font>
Under the carpet, there is sound deadening material. You might save as much as a dozen just from that crap. Integra type R's are already stripped of this from the factory.

It's a pain to take out, I think it might be glued to the floor, so it comes out in chunks.

Besides cruise... you can do A/C (what is EVAP? Sorry.. I don't know), light racing wheels (obviously), Um.. I'm sure I can think of more. I'll post up if I do.

-Erik

------------------
[tHåt©hMå§të®]

95 VTEC Prelude - RS*R, powerslots, Axxis metal masters, Toyo FZ4s, **type-S intake (thanks Andy!!)** 15.040 @ 92.85

95 VTEC Del Sol - AEM, Bullfrog TB, N2 header, Greddy SP, Powerstop Xdrilled, Z3 fenders

www.thatchland.com

·
Premium Member
3,936 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by thatchmaster:

Besides cruise... you can do A/C ( light racing wheels (obviously),
</font>
Yeah, I'm surprised it took so long b4 Erik mentioned the A/C. Also u can remove the pwr steering unit as well.

With the combo of CF hood, A/C and P/S removal, light weight rims, interior trim and sound deadening, I bet u could save close to 150 lbs.

·
SuperMod
7,963 Posts
don't forget cruise control.
You can also strip out your dash, replace your windshield with Lexan, replace your fenders with fiberglass, same with your door.

I think it's easiest to just remove the driver though, that's just dead weight right there

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Again, this leads me to ask the question:

If you were worried about weight, what the hell you buy a heavy ass car like a Prelude for???!!!"

------------------
UK LUDER!

HONDA-R UK Member
5th GEN 2.2 VTI 4WS Manual

[This message has been edited by Guiddy (edited May 02, 2001).]

·
Registered
188 Posts
i can't handle people calling the prelude a heavy car, yeah sure its heavy compared to civics and integras but we've also got bigger engines, a heavy car is a mustang, camaro, supra, 3000GT....you guys must think those things are dump trucks

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Merlin1xx1:
i can't handle people calling the prelude a heavy car, yeah sure its heavy compared to civics and integras but we've also got bigger engines, a heavy car is a mustang, camaro, supra, 3000GT....you guys must think those things are dump trucks</font>
Yeah, like I live in Europe buddy!
You wanna see how the Prelude dwarfs most of the crap on our roads!
Damn, the thing has presence! People move out your way as you glide up behind them in the rear view mirror!
But compared to everything I have had, and most of the stuff on our roads, sure the Prelude is heavy!
I never bought it to try and make some light racer! Damn, the thing is doomed from the start, with it's heavy gauge metal and add-ons! Hell I even have 4WS!
Nah, enjoy it, don't try and take all the bits off in some vain attempt to shed a few pounds!

------------------
UK LUDER!:)
HONDA-R UK Member
5th GEN 2.2 VTI 4WS Manual

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Guiddy:

Nah, enjoy it, don't try and take all the bits off in some vain attempt to shed a few pounds!

</font>
Word. I wouldn't trade the smoothness and refinement of a prelude for a minimal difference in times. I mean, that's why we chose to get a prelude right? If I wanted to make a light car, I would just go buy some pipes
j/k

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, when I originally bought the car I thought nothing of the weight. But then I got into autocross racing - and since I don't need the rear seat or any of that other crap - out it comes!

There are a few things I have to question, though: lexan windshields and fiberglass body panels..? Is the windshield mod legal for the street..? And this being a unibody, can the body panels actually be replaced..?

Hmm, I guess the next things I do are the carpet, lower dash, and A/C. Can't do much about the p/s pump since I don't have a manual steering rack (and p/s without the pump would be damn near impossible to use).

I think I'll weigh my car with all the crap that I already took out, then weigh it as stripped as I manage to get it, and post the results. We'll see if this is all worth it...........

·
Registered
188 Posts
yeah lexan windows are street legal. and if thick enough they're also bulletproof...although you wouldn't be saving weight anymore. sure body panels can be replaced. it'd be just like if you were in a wreck and needed a new drivers side quarter panel and door you can get those without having to get every body panel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts