Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WEll there seems to be some kind of leak in my radiator.. Actually there is a TINY and I mean TINY little crack at the TOP of the radiator.. after I drive around for awhile, if I pop the hood, I can see bubbles and TINY amount of fluid coming from the crack.. THe part that the crack is on is plastic.. do I need to replace the whole radiator or can I somehow fix this LITTLE crack.. the car runs fine.. stays cool.. never above half way on the temp gauge.. BUT it's getting to be hotter here in philly and want to avoid any probs. .SO suggestions?? and how hard is it to replace a radiator in our cars.. OH BTW it is a 4g Vtec.. thanks..

andres

------------------
1994 VTEC
Eibach Pro-kit, KYB AGX shocks, AEM CAI, AEM pullies, Thermal exhaust.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.. are there any companies that make aftermarket Radiators for The 4g vtec lude??
How much do they cost??

Andres

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
you have a defective denso radiator. a lot of 4th gens have this problem and so do some Integras (I think SE's and GSR's). Unfortunately only the Integras were recalled. My friend with a 4th gen got a radiator for a Prelude S and mounted that up using ties and stuff. The reason is because VTEC radiators cost so much more. His new radiator was a lot thicker though and works more efficiently, but still, it didn't bolt right up.

------------------
14.6 @ 93.6mph with I/E

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SO the radiator designed for the S model prelude acutally works better then the VTEC model?? Wow that's weird.. I guess I better check to see how much these babies cost.. so is there ANY aftermarket for 4g radiators??

Thanks,
andres

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
C & R makes an aftermarket radiator for our cars. Cost is $479 which also includes a new fan. Quality and fitment seems like it is great. Here is the addy:

http://www.8120performance.com/chassis/crracing/crhome.html#

If my radiator ever decides to go (knocking on wood) I'll end up getting one of these also.

Can I ask how many miles you have on your lude? I hear the radiators tend to go at around 80,000 miles.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Yeah they do make them for vtecs they are just far more expensive (3x as much). My friend has an S radiator and a turbo on his 4th gen and he doesnt ever come close to overheating.

I am not recommending the S radiator, I am just telling you what my friend has done and it seems to work.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my car has 116,000 miles on it.. and I wouldn't even say the radiator "went" cause it still works fine.. its is this HAIR then crack at the top plastic piece...

ANYWAY I called a honda dealer.. $443 for a new one.. PLUS 155 labor.. now how hard is it to change these things out?? I have a full set of tools and 2 or 3 handy friends.. is this a weekend job or what??? guess it's time to invest in a helms.. unless anyone can point me to someplace that may have install directions???

Oh and thanks for the link, I'll check it out.. Oh I talked to a service guy and he said you can get knock-off radiators for about 225.. so we'll see..

Andres

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
Technically, I would say that the radiator did "go". Don't let that little crack fool you. There was a member on another board who said his radiator developed the same crack, all his readings were normal and he continued to drive like that for a few days and he ended up cracking the head.

I don't know if it was coincidence, but I'd have that taken care of ASAP.

------------------
94 Prelude VTEC

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really jeez that's pretty scary.. But that would also mean that he had a faulty temp gauge too then wouldn't it?? I mean I am not gonna let this go on for TOO long, but I can't see how the head would crack especially since the temp gauge is NEVER above the half way mark.. SO this other guy his Temp gauge was busted?? Was his false temp reading cause by the little crack?? I am planning on doing it this weekend.. HOPEFULLY if the funds allow.. if not there is always MASTERCARD..

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
I don't think that his gauge was busted. It was probably a small enough crack that it would register, but enough to do do damage.

He never mentioned anything about a busted gauge.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ijust meant because the heat would have to be pretty high to crack his head, so his temp gauge in the car would have had to read above at least the half-way mark.. I mean the engine had to overheat to crack the head.. so if all his readings were normal something wasn't working right.. crap now I am all paranoid..

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Registered
65 Posts
If your local dealer wants $443, check with Manchester Honda, or Honda-Accessories.com.
They might get 10%+ off of local dealer.

It's just a small leak now, but you'll continue to loose fluid. Eventually you'll loose enough for engine to overheat, resulting in a potential for cracked head. I suspect that whoever had his crack, wasn't watching the temperature gauge, or else gauge was defective, and he didn't realize, because he hadn't been watching it.

At 116,000 miles, I don't know how much longer you'll keep the car. Could be good for another 116,000. I would be leary of "knock-off" radiator. Honda OEM parts are so much better than most aftermarket parts.

------------------
1998 San Marino Red SS
1998 VFR800
1991 2.0Si "first 'lude love", was still great at 146k miles

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah I have been watching my fluid level religiously especially since the weather is getting warmer. .I plan to keep this car forever.. (even when I buy a new one) so I might just bite the bullet and get the performance one that someone above had mentioned (Thanks again). I just checked it today and my Reserve tank was low SO I added to it.. but I popped open the radiator cap and the fluid was sill full so it must leak VERY little..

ANdres

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
Registered
268 Posts
Ok guys, let's not be freakin out over the radiator issue. Here's the ultimate solution...

Go to your local NAPA autoparts or Kragen and order a Modine radiator for the 4th gen VTEC. This will fit both VTEC and NON-VTEC mounts (requires minor fabrication for the H23). The radiator is under $200 and is very easy to install. The radiator is also much larger than stock and cools the engine much better. I replaced mine in my 4th gen Si, and couldn't be happier.

The only disadvantage is the endcaps are plastic, not metal. However, I have not had a Modine radiator fail, plus they offer a lifetime warrenty.

Have fun, and if you have any questions, feel free to email me

------------------
BRacing
"Going faster since 1994"

"Drag racing is for those that can't steer"

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW.. you guys ROCK... SO much info in SO little time..

Well I called that C&R place to check out their radiator.. but it only comes with ONE fan.. so if I go that route I would lose the AC fan.. unless I wanted to do some custom fab.. but hell for 450 bux I want the damn thing to blow me while I install it :p

ANyway I am probably gonna check this Modine mama jama out this weekend and try to install it with a little help from my friends.. ANY hints, precautions before doing this job??

Andres

------------------
1994 VTEC

·
0 Posts
Does the 5Gen base radiator fit? If so, I have one in perfect condition. I upgraded to a Fluidyne, so my old radiator is just collecting dust.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
416 Posts
a new oem radiator is 334.03 at www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

if the 5th gen ones work, that'd be great. buy 71dsp's.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts