Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would replacing my cam gears be a decent idea for increasing off the line torque? Can someone gimme some insight. thank you.

-kevin

on 5g gen SS btw

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
you won't pick up much from tuning cam gears.
From my dyno tuning session, (VAFC & AEM Cam Gears) I picked up 3 hp and 8-9 torque.
You'll pay about $300 for cam gears, and probably close to as much for installation.
Save them for later.
You really want to see an improvement, save your money up for Cams (crower or Jun, I'd advise against Type S just b/c of the trouble others are having-so far mine are fine.) So far they're my BEST engine performance mod.

------------------

That's a nice prelude-I'd pay fifty dollars for one!
http://www.hondaprelude.com/setups/setupsdsply.asp?id=10306

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
if you want to drop an entire second off your 1/4 mile time, go get a 5spd tranny
its better than the .05-.1 you'd shave off with those cam gears hehe.

However if you are intent on getting this mod, i hear the AEM cam gears strip the bolts and come off. This is bad mkay? i think they only use 3 bolts or something. Its been awhile since i saw that thread do a search though.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can you gimme a site with the cams you mentioned>? thanx

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by coil222:
From my dyno tuning session, (VAFC & AEM Cam Gears) I picked up 3 hp and 8-9 torque.
You'll pay about $300 for cam gears, and probably close to as much for installation.
Save them for later.
You really want to see an improvement, save your money up for Cams (crower or Jun, I'd advise against Type S just b/c of the trouble others are having-so far mine are fine.) So far they're my BEST engine performance mod.

</font>

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by coil222:
Save them for later.

</font>

3 HP thats it?????? i picked up 6 hp by using my butt dyno settings on my Fields VTEC controller. I dynoed it on and off. BTW i had 167 HP and 131 TQ. I should be putting in my Crower cams soon, i should get them by Wednesday. So we'll see how much these suckers make

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

·
Registered
838 Posts
Correct me if I'm worng. A cam gear without a cam-shaft is useless. True ? If I'm buying a Cam-Gear, I'll definately go get myself a Cam-Shaft. I believe Crower makes both the Cam-Gears and Cam-Shaft for the 5th Gen Lude.

------------------

------------------
Toronto PreLude Club

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Also there is a group buy for Skunk 2 cam gears for $180 shipped,Which is a GREAT deal. They are much better then the AEM IMO, because of the 5 bolt design (pretty sure its 5).

------------------

99 Pearlwhite Sportshift
15.45 @ 92.37

1 - 10 of 10 Posts