Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone...

What my problem is:
I have a 1992 Honda Prelude Si 4WS with a new/used engine(put in around November) and this has been happening since then. Whenever I start my car in the morning it starts fine and then I let it warm up. As it warms up the idle, all of a sudden, becomes erratic and starts to oscillate. I revs up and down from 1400 to 2100 constantly. The only way that I can get it to stop it if I put my foot on the gas pedal slightly or more. I have taken it back to the shop where I had the car done and they say the continually try different things to the engine to make it stop that and in turn it still continues. I need anyones help on how to make the idle back to normal again.

If anyone has an ideas on what it could be or solutions to this problem please post or send me an email @ [email protected] you so much...

------------------
1992 Honda Prelude Si 4WS
- 3A Racing Exhaust
- ACT Clutch
- 3A Racing Platinum Super White Foglights
- Clear Bumber and Side Markers
- OptiBlue Xenon headlights
- Polarg Super White Bubls in clears

15.936 @ 86.67mph at Atco Raceway in Atco, NJ

Visit and JOIN!!!! Custom Creations Car Club of NJ Updated as of 9/12/00 Come Visit and JOIN!!

"MORE CARS CAN SEE YOU, THE FASTER YOU DRIVE!"

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
Possibly the idle control valve??
(AKA idle stabilisation valve)

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think that my car has one of them...i am looking in a manual of everything in/on my car and i dont see any idle control/stabillity valve...

------------------
- 3A Racing Exhaust
- ACT Clutch

Visit and JOIN!!!! Custom Creations Car Club of NJ Updated as of 9/12/00 Come Visit and JOIN!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have tried turning the idle down...but the screw on the throttle body is all the way in!...so i dunno what that means either...

------------------
- 3A Racing Exhaust
- ACT Clutch

·
Registered
193 Posts
It was suggested that it is the Intake air control valve. On your intake just behind your TB. My car does the same thing. They are about 145 to 190. This is a common problem. I see posts on this but no fixes. I also think it might be Throttle position relay on your TB. Haven't looked at this yet though.
hondaautomotiveparts.com they have cool picturs of stock intakes and sll the parts on them with prices. (thanks to that 3g prelude chick for that sight, do not remember her name)

Good luck and post what fixed your car.

------------------
93 Si 4WS

G

·
Look for vacuum leaks, check to make sure the IAC is working, and does the 92 Prelude have a fast idle thermo valve? If so, that could also be the problem.

If you don't have a Helm's manual, it's a good investment as it outlines how to troubleshoot these kinds of problems.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

G

·
My car is doing the same thing. I just replaced the idle air control? I think that's what it is called and it did not fix it. There is something called a fast idle something or other so I will replace that next. I will post to show what happens. Keep us informed with your car.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Look,I had this happen to my 5th gen after only 5,000 miles. It was the IAC valves. My idle did the same thing, and eventually, if you let it bob long enough, the check engine light will come on. You need this to happen. When it comes on, your car will accelerate and run like crap. Real jerky/touchy and stuff, and the idle will vibrate at about 1,100 instead of ossilate. Hook it up the shop computer diagonastic thing, and it will most likely tell you to check you IAC valves. There is a test that you can do, in which you pull out the one of the test valves in the idle control system, and the car should die if everything is okay. Since our cars aren't, the car will not die, but instead the idle rpms will shoot up to about 2,000. There are 2 valves that need to be replaced and you are looking at about $250-$300 job including labor.

BTW, if you CE light comes on and you are driving along and need to get where you're going, just disconnect the battery for 30 sec, and it will clear the light(your **** will oscillate again after it and eventually the cycle repeats). Good luck and I feel for you- it is annoying as the work week is long...

·
OG
2,040 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Spocko:
...When it comes on, your car will accelerate and run like crap. Real jerky/touchy and stuff, and the idle will vibrate at about 1,100 instead of ossilate. Hook it up the shop computer diagonastic thing, and it will most likely tell you to check you IAC valves....</font>
this guy knows what he's talking about. the same thing happened to me in my 5th gen... when i was driving one day, all of the sudden the CE light came on, and the car was jerking all over and even with the pedal down it wouldn't go anywhere. after i was done sh1tting my pants i pulled over and turned it off and called up my friend to come check it out.

in the end, i took it to the dealer (after the car restarted it didn't go nuts again, but the idle was fluctuating like you described), and it turned out that after my friends and i reinstalled my intake (took it out to clean it), we left one of the hoses dangling, one of the ones from the o2 sensor or something. the guys at the dealership sealed it off and everything worked great after that.

good luck man.

------------------
Raman
Viper's Lair
99 Pearl White SS
Mods

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bluelude, what year lude do you have?...i am just wondering if i have a fast idle thing...

thanks for the help and i am going to check my car out today...i let you guys know if anything comes up...

more help is also welcomed...thanks...

------------------
- 3A Racing Exhaust
- ACT Clutch

G

·
I have a 93 Si. Our set-ups are the same. The fast idle thermo valve is underneath the throttle body. If you have a chilton look at 4-40 #8. I will replace this tommorrow hopefully.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I finally took it to the local Honda dealer and they told me that it was the throttle body. So didnt have too much money so i went ahead and got a used on for $100 and put that on and now the cars idle is just right. NO MORE OSCILLATION!! whoooho!...after i changed the throttle body, i took the old one in my hand and shook it and i heard pieces rattling around in the bottom of the throttle body where the coolant passes through...so that is probably where my problem was...thanks for all the help

George

------------------
- 3A Racing Exhaust
- ACT Clutch

1 - 15 of 15 Posts