Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok,

I'm having some weird problem where the RPMs drop or raise a few hundred RPM's while driving at highway speeds (60 to 90MPH).

The car was doing this before I swapped to a 5 speed. ( I assumed it was part of the SS Auto getting ready to fail.)

I've recently replaced the:

- fuel filter
- O2 sensor
- cap & rotor

It had these symptoms before replacing those.

The car is throwing no codes.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appricated.

Gerhard

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
How fast is the fluctuation? Is it an audible rpm rise/fall, or just noticeable on the tach? Does mph change accordingly? Will it do it at a constant speed in a lower gear?

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm not sure I understand either. Are you saying that the car lurches forward and dives at speed or that the revs bounce up and down while going a constant speed. If your revs are fluctuating without affecting your speed then your clutch must be slipping, but that doesn't explain why it happened with your SS.

I assume you aren't using cruise control right? That could be the culprit if you are. CEL or not, maybe you need to run a full engine diagnostic test.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daemione said:
How fast is the fluctuation? Is it an audible rpm rise/fall, or just noticeable on the tach? Does mph change accordingly? Will it do it at a constant speed in a lower gear?
Ok...

When the RPM's go up... its a few hundred (100-300) and it's not really noticable.

When the RPM's go down, it's a few hundred and a feeling of a loss of power.

I'm not certain it's my clutch, though I know I need to adjust it.

Gerhard

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fmshaw1971 said:
I'm not sure I understand either. Are you saying that the car lurches forward and dives at speed or that the revs bounce up and down while going a constant speed. If your revs are fluctuating without affecting your speed then your clutch must be slipping, but that doesn't explain why it happened with your SS.

I assume you aren't using cruise control right? That could be the culprit if you are. CEL or not, maybe you need to run a full engine diagnostic test.
The rev intermitantly bounce up and down while at speed. (Generally in 5th gear)

Nope. No crusie control.

The car did this a few times before I swapped it to a 5 speed.

It's possible that the symptoms are similar... I have not adjusted the clutch pedal properly. ...but I'm not certain that would cause the problem.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One other thing:

I've noticed that at higher RPM's the tachometer needle slides quickly (jumps).

I initally assumes this was because my indiglos were not flush with the surface (it may still be the case), but the car doesn't learch forward when the RPM needle shoots up.

...and it doesn't feel like it's slipping.

(The downward slipping of the rev's does have a noticable loss of power.)

Did I explain that clearly??

·
Registered
928 Posts
how can you adjust the clutch i have no adjustment i am pretty sure you can only adjust the pedal

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ziggity said:
how can you adjust the clutch i have no adjustment i am pretty sure you can only adjust the pedal
That's what I mean... I wasn't sure if that would have any impact on things... may it was not engaging properly... or some such.

I other cars I've had that problem when adjusting the pedal actually puts pressure on the throwout bearing...

Anyway... I grasping at straws now... I'm baffled.

Interesting to note: I did get the car home after I let it warm up for awhile.

While merging into traffic I took it up to 7000 RPMS... the tachometer was bouncing all over the place from 5000 to 7000 rpms.

I'm really confused... especially since the car wasn't lurching or anything like that.

Could this be some odd VSS problem??

Does anyone know if the VSS on the manual is that same as the one on the automatic???

Gerhard

1 - 8 of 8 Posts