Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so I recently got a 1998 base model and it came with worn out koni yellow struts and unknown springs. I want to replace them with coilovers and at the same time replace the rest of the suspension components, such as control arms, trailing arms and toe arms, with aftermarket parts. I've been searching for good aftermarket parts but cant seem to find any recent information about the best parts, price and performance wise. Based on old posts on here I can tell a lot of people on here have experience with aftermarket parts and i was wondering if I could get any help finding the best parts or possibly even a mods list.
Just as a side note I am looking for mid-range priced parts since it is my first project car and i don't want to dump all of my money into it.

· Registered
4 Posts
OP, I don't hope you don't mind me posting, but we have the same question. My daughter has also just purchased a '98 Base Prelude and we also want to replace her OE struts and springs with something reasonably priced. We are not interested in lowering the vehicle. So far, we have replaced her front tie rods, rear sway bar bushings and rear endlinks with aftermarket parts. I also replaced the ball joints with OEM ball joints.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OP, I don't hope you don't mind me posting, but we have the same question. My daughter has also just purchased a '98 Base Prelude and we also want to replace her OE struts and springs with something reasonably priced. We are not interested in lowering the vehicle. So far, we have replaced her front tie rods, rear sway bar bushings and rear endlinks with aftermarket parts. I also replaced the ball joints with OEM ball joints.
Do you mind naming what aftermarket parts you bought? Btw ever since i posted this I purchased some Tein advance z coilovers, if you want ill let you know how they feel after I install them. Im pretty sure you might be able to adjust them to stock height as well or close enough.

· Registered
4 Posts
I'd love to hear your impressions of the Tein coilovers!

Front:
Driver-side outer tie rod: Beck Arnley 101-4634 Tie Rod End
Inner tie rod (both sides): MOOG EV800296 Tie Rod End
Passenger-side outer tie rod: MOOG ES80681 Tie Rod End
Bellow covers: I recommend getting the OEM Honda ones. They are still available, cost more but they are are a lot easier to install than the MOOG aftermarket ones. I've installed both and I'm recommending the OEMs based on my recent experience.

Rear:
Sway bar bushings: Prothane 92-00 Honda Prelude Rear Sway Bar Bushings - 23mm - Black
End links: Beck Arnley 101-4625 Stabilizer End Link

Good luck and keep me posted!

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd love to hear your impressions of the Tein coilovers!

Front:
Driver-side outer tie rod: Beck Arnley 101-4634 Tie Rod End
Inner tie rod (both sides): MOOG EV800296 Tie Rod End
Passenger-side outer tie rod: MOOG ES80681 Tie Rod End
Bellow covers: I recommend getting the OEM Honda ones. They are still available, cost more but they are are a lot easier to install than the MOOG aftermarket ones. I've installed both and I'm recommending the OEMs based on my recent experience.

Rear:
Sway bar bushings: Prothane 92-00 Honda Prelude Rear Sway Bar Bushings - 23mm - Black
End links: Beck Arnley 101-4625 Stabilizer End Link

Good luck and keep me posted!
Thank you so much for sharing, ill let you know what i think of those Teins👍🏽

· Registered
2 Posts
It is great to hear that other's are also looking to update their Prelude's suspension!

I have a 5th Gen Type SH and am also in the process of updating the suspension.

As for parts, I went with Beck Arnley for the front and rear upper control arms, HardRace rubber bushings for rear lower control arms and trailing arms, and Honda OEM bushings for front lower control arm bushings. I decided to stick with rubber bushings over Energy suspension polyurethane bushings since my Prelude project is for grabbing coffee and occasional shows; no track time. I have also attempted to stick with OEM parts, but after extensive searches most of our OEM parts have been sadly discontinued.

As for lowering I am planning on using BC racing coilovers and only lowering 1-1.5 inches. I also plan to use Volk TE 37 Saga rims as well. It seems to be the toughest part of lowering our cars is the possible need for adjustable upper ball joints for the upper control arms and the occasional hitting of the coilover against the shock tower. I am currently searching for a solution, but appreciate any advice!

Also, 850 Fab is currently making a front traction bar for our cars, but he is currently working on a recall for the traction bar and braces for the radius arms. I'm not sure if these are for Base only or would work on the Type SH Preludes.

I hope this helps and please keep everyone posted on your suspension progress!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts