Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
need help.

CEL is on.

i have a 2001 honda prelude 5 speed base module.

code p1298 Electrical Load Detector High Input. check engine light is on.

checked all the fuses and fuse box under the driver dash and under the engine hood.

battery is fine as well as the alternator (14.4).

for some strange reason as well is the car turns off when i put it in nuetural most of the time when driving and espescially mornings when i turn it on. i think this code may have something to do with this.

hopefully some one has had this problem and solved it. any suggestions would help thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
there is a thing called the ELD "electonic load detector" in the hood fuse box. it might of been spiked. is the car acting wierd at all? if not just clear the code and see if it comes back

·
Premium Member
3,384 Posts
On the Prelude, the ELD is in the alternator itself. I'm about 99% sure your stalling in neutral is because the ELD thinks it's in low-load mode, but really you should be in high-load mode. If load is too high on the alternator, engine will die.

I would try replacing the alternator. Traditional testing won't detect ELD problems.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok so the ELD is in the alternator itself. wow. did not know that. took it to kragesn, autozone and napa, no one mentioned that, but said it was not the alternater. but some one else told me the same thing that you are telling me so thanks i will change the alternater and see if that works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts