Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Elitist FOB
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I need help BAD, I am down to 17mpg! I have a 98 Lude Type SHHHHH.. 53.5k miles, basic Bolt-ons CAI and Exhaust. Spark Plugs has been changed, I'm running NGK Copper cause people on the board said it's the same as Platinum. I don't drive hard, I shift around 3.5k-4.5k, I only hit VTEC maybe 5x per tank. I do mostly City Driving of less than 4 miles.. So any ideas? Oh and I've tried that GunkOut I think you call it and Regane 2x already.. All I know is I'm running too rich..

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
^^^ highway or city? I get 28 mpg highway, and about 24.6 city

Check fuel filter, air filter, properly inflated tires, valve adjustment, O2 sensors, compression test

Messed up O2 sensor can mess up things good, check that first

·
Registered
251 Posts
2 o2's im about to replace mine too...the cel came on saying damaged o2 or something like that...havent noticed a drop is gas mileage though...where can i get the o2's cheap anyone?

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
My gas mileage improved a ton by doing the following:

- new air filter (or clean your K&N)

- change fuel filter

- spark plugs (coppers should fine, everyone say replace 1 year)

- repalce cap and rotor

- test plug wires with an ohm meter and verify that they are good. (Helms manual has the procedure.)

- Used RedLine fuel treatment. (Worked really well and made a BIG difference...)

Gerhard

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
PreludePowerR said:
^^^ highway or city? I get 28 mpg highway, and about 24.6 city

Check fuel filter, air filter, properly inflated tires, valve adjustment, O2 sensors, compression test

Messed up O2 sensor can mess up things good, check that first
I hot foot it around to much to see that kind of gas milage... but 22 or so it pretty typical.

I had an O2 sensor problem as well. I desided to use NTK O2 sensors in order to make sure that I didn't have any problems.

(I'm sure the universal ones will work, but I've heard bad things about the Bosch O2 sensors and the Preludes.)

You can get the OEM rear NTK sensor for about $115.00. (I mean the direct fit rear one.)

The front O2 sensor and the rear ones are the same electronically. So you can purchase two of the NTK rear ones, then then cut off the rear mounting parts and install one on the front. You'll need a small wiretie to connect the harness to the upper mounting point for the front O2 sensor.

WWW.CAR-PARTS-OEM.COM has the #C5010-63024 NTK Oxygen Sensor for $135.00.

www.oxygensensors.net has the same part as above, but for $113.64. This is the best price I've seen for the OEM type NTK sensor.

You'll also need a deep 21mm O2 sensor socket. (a 7/8" deep standard O2 sensor socket also works.)

Gerhard

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Man, you guys with H22s get ****ty gas milage. I never get less than 26MPG, and that's all city. I get 30 MPG freeway.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts