Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
JOE D.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay okay, here's the deal. First I wanted a greddy EVO, but then found out that the catback was not full stainless steel. Then I heard about Apexi N1. I love the style, but I don't know about the sound. I'm looking for a nice clean and aggressive sound (but not too loud). I did some research on the forum and people have been saying that the N1 is too loud. Is that true? Then I found out about thermal exhaust. :confused: Don't really know too much about thermal brand. I'm stuck, because I'm really really picky about this topic.

·
Registered
398 Posts
having had both, i can comment. the thermal sounds real good, looks good, full stainless. the apexi is on the loud side and i'm not a huge fan of the coffee can look, but it by far gives better gains than the thermal. so what do you want more, good look and sound or more gain? and whether you're FI or NA also makes a difference. go with the N1 if you're boosted.

·
Drives a used Dodge
7,733 Posts
thermal is great, 100% stainless, wont rust, sounds real good, not loud, I love mine

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I also have a thermal and I love it. The sound is awesome and I could feel a small gain up top after the installation. The N1 is VERY loud. I doubt that the N1 gives much more gains than the thermal. Exhaust on a lude doesnt give much no matter what brand it is. Its up to you. BTW i got mine from cementups for a good deal.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
CTPRELUDE said:
Exhaust on a lude doesnt give much no matter what brand it is. Its up to you. BTW i got mine from cementups for a good deal.
What he said..

Unless your going FI, there isnt going to be much of a diffrence at all between exhausts... looks and sound is all that really matters for us

:(

·
Registered
398 Posts
CTPRELUDE said:
I also have a thermal and I love it. The sound is awesome and I could feel a small gain up top after the installation. The N1 is VERY loud. I doubt that the N1 gives much more gains than the thermal. Exhaust on a lude doesnt give much no matter what brand it is. Its up to you. BTW i got mine from cementups for a good deal.
here's an example. baseline run with the apexi n1 exhaust, with the supercharger was 223whp, untuned. then i put the thermal on (long story, dont' ask why), did a baseline run and dynoed at a pathetic 210whp, untuned. so i put back the N1, had it dyno tuned and now i'm up to over 230whp.

now i know that different variables come into play since i have the jrsc, but prior to the dyno tuning and exhaust swap, you can see the difference, a 13whp difference. just tryin to illustrate a point. but yeah, the difference in gains is minimal (naturally aspirated), but a gain is a gain any way you take it.

·
Baller....
565 Posts
I would definitely have to say go with the N1, i have it and love it,it is a little on the loud side but you can always put the silencer in on a long drive,go with N1 u wont regret it at all.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
If you don't want loud at all, the N1 is not for you. While you can make it quieter by hitting the thottle only very very lightly when you cruise at low RPM, it will be loud the rest of the times, especially on the highway. For example, my normal cruise speed is 80mph, which is exactly 4000RPM on our ludes. If I have my foot on the throttle very lightly to maintain that speed, its fine. Any increase in throttle input of lifting my foot off the thottle will cause the exhaust to drone or to become very loud, which is pretty annoying for me (thank god I don't go on the highway all that much). I was looking at and deciding between a thermal and the N1 before as well but I wanted to stray away from the dual tip stock exhaust look and went with the melon shooter look (j/k). From my personal experience of having the N1, I don't think it sounds very good at low RPMs. However, the N1 shines at VTEC WOT. It is intoxicating - very aggressive, scare the sh*t out of people sometimes). I love it!!!

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
I've got the thermal and love it. The quality is top notch and it sounds good. It does drone a little at highway speeds, but it isn't very bad in the front seat. People in the back complain sometimes, but I could care less about them. As for gains, both are going to be very close *unless* you are FI. I would say if you want to get an aftermarket exhaust choose it by looks, quality and sound. I'm sure the N1 is a quality product too. It is just louder than I like (friend has one on his teg). On other plus about the thermal is it looks a lot more stock than the N1, so if people get exhaust tickets in your area you might consider going with a more stock look.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
If you have the cash, Mugen is the best for NA. It's got the best materials, the best construction, and the best sound. You can never go wrong with Mugen. If you don't want to pay the money for Mugen, consider the HKS Drager as an alternative to the N1.

·
JOE D.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hmmmm.... time to reasearch HKS Dragger now! i don't know, i think i'm leaning more towards the N1 from what i've heard, but am not definite. who will win the exhaust wars (exlude the Mugen :) ? BTW what type of software can i use to play .wmv files. my media player plays only the audio.

·
JOE D.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
does N1 fart? lol :) how about thermal? i've heard EVO's fart.... just wanna know :p

1 - 20 of 27 Posts