Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wheel covers on my 89 SI are peeling really really badly.

I want to strip the paint off and repaint them, but I'm not exactly sure the correct way to strip them....

Is there some sort of compound I can use to strip the paint? Sand paper? Help me out :)

Also, for repainting them... what are the steps? Primer, Paint... then what?

And what kind of paint?

Sorry for all the questions... just figured I'd ask them all up front, and if you can help me, thanks :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
scuff up the plastic???? and No primer????

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A new pair from sears... what are you talking about? These arent just covers. They're bolt ons with center locking caps. They used to look like actual rims... now they look like peeling rims :)

I can get them new for..... 60 a wheel! no thanks.

They're impossible to come across too... because nobody loses them, because they dont come off :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a set of the Honda hub caps with the locking centers also. The paint also peeled off mine. I sandblasted the hubcaps and covers, then used a scratch fill primer, then painted silver again. The H in the center caps was tough to paint as I had to tape the whole hubcap so the black paint would only fill the H.

I refinished them for my winter tires, and They look great now.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My center caps have a piece of metal as the Black H :) I can just pull it out with a screw driver, and glue it in later!

The same with the locking mechanism... I can just remove them... and have plastic.

As for sand blasting.... I dont have a sand blaster :) Any way I can do it myself, by hand? Chemicals/brushes/sand paper...

I tried 400 grit sand paper... that would take FOREVER!

·
Registered
85 Posts
unfortunately I am not too experienced with using compounds and chemicals to remove paint. The problem is most paint strippers are very harsh chemicals and could damage the plastic wheel covers.I would go ask an automotive paint dealer if they sell a stripper to remove the paint. If they dont ask about removing the paint. I believe if there are no chemicals, its back to the old sandpaper, or find someone with access to a sand blaster.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My wheel covers on my 89 SI are peeling really really badly.

I want to strip the paint off and repaint them, but I'm not exactly sure the correct way to strip them....

Is there some sort of compound I can use to strip the paint? Sand paper? Help me out :)

Also, for repainting them... what are the steps? Primer, Paint... then what?

And what kind of paint?

Sorry for all the questions... just figured I'd ask them all up front, and if you can help me, thanks :)
I did my wifes Chevrolet plastic hubcaps they turned out great I did a Youtube video I got a factory finish on them
these were on an 2005 car

1 - 18 of 18 Posts