Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
JOE D.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I used to have CF tails for my 5th gen and then recently put back my stock tails. When it rains, the trunk (where the spare is located) is filled with water :eek: . I was told that I can fix this by buying some spray foam, but where do I spray? Have you guys expericenced this? Any other suggestions would also help.

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
When you put the stock tails back in, did you take the rubber seal off the altezzas and put it back on the stock tails? Other than that, I don't see how water could be getting into your trunk unless the trunk wasn't closed properly or your trunk seals are bad :/

·
JOE D.
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup, everything is just as it was when i didn't put the tails on.

·
Registered
573 Posts
yea i had a leak but i actually tightened my spoiler, i guess my sub loosened it up or something cause i ran water over mine and i couldn't figure out where it was coming from but it wasn't the taillights, so my dad made the spoiler suggestion and it hasn't leaked since.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I got my keyhole and emblems shaved off the trunk about a year ago, and everytime it rains my trunk fills up with water too. i bet they messed up the seals. So the stuff is called "Great Stuff"? where could i buy it at.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
yup same thing happened to me... trunk fills up with water, then water runs into my interior, and makes my whole back seat wet... i just punch out the two rubber things on the bottom, two holes next to the spare, so water can jsut run out.. never had a problem agian...

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
90% of the time it's a leak from the taillight gaskets, so I don't know how you plan on using expanding foam to fix that . . . . I personally enjoy the option of changing bulbs without replacing the entire taillight assembly . . . . :)

Just remove the taillight assembly & adjust the gasket to make sure it's seating properly, that'll most likely fix it. If they're in bad shape, new ones are like $9 a piece.

If that doesn't work, other things to check are the rubber deck lid seal, side trunk vents, and moonroof drainage tubes.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Daemione said:
90% of the time it's a leak from the taillight gaskets, so I don't know how you plan on using expanding foam to fix that . . . . I personally enjoy the option of changing bulbs without replacing the entire taillight assembly . . . . :)

Just remove the taillight assembly & adjust the gasket to make sure it's seating properly, that'll most likely fix it. If they're in bad shape, new ones are like $9 a piece.

If that doesn't work, other things to check are the rubber deck lid seal, side trunk vents, and moonroof drainage tubes.
moonroof drainage tubes that a good idea, i'd never thought of that. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Most likely, it's the tail light gasket. Why not just buy new ones from Honda, they will seal better than anything from a can.

·
Registered
573 Posts
jtown said:
I see a small puddle of water in the spare tire area as well sometimes. maybe I should go check now.
Ummmmmm yea i would think so, don't make the mistake i did and forget about it and not look at it. i did that and let me tell you that water will mold over and smell like A$$, i had to shampoo my carpet in my trunk like 4 times and put he!!a Febreeze on it to get the nasty A$$ smell out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you guys have aftermarket bumpers, that why it is leaking. There is an air hole that is covered with the stock bumper, but when you aftermarket your rear this air hole becomes completely open, andy rain will get in from the spinning of your wheels, you need to cover it with some kind of stick paper or the aluminum that has the sticky edges on it. I think it is on the right side of your rear wheel after you pull away all the lining. There are more detailed threads about this for sure, just do a search. Peace

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Yeah, if there's water collecting at the bottom of your trunk, you can be sure your rear seat cushion is pretty well soaked through (every time you hit the brakes water will slosh up into it).

Pull that thing out & let it air out - it took mine like 2 weeks to totally dry out, that's where the majority of your funkiness is going to emanate from.

Pretty friggin' nasty.

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
tifs said:
If you guys have aftermarket bumpers, that why it is leaking. There is an air hole that is covered with the stock bumper, but when you aftermarket your rear this air hole becomes completely open, andy rain will get in from the spinning of your wheels, you need to cover it with some kind of stick paper or the aluminum that has the sticky edges on it. I think it is on the right side of your rear wheel after you pull away all the lining.
Actually, those vents (right & left side) are exposed to all the wheel spray with the stock bumpers as well. There's a rubber flap that normally keeps debris out, and it's possible some stuff could get in that way. Before I figured out my major leak was through the taillights, I covered mine up in that aluminum foil tape:

I'm not sure it helped much, I think my flap seals were still actually working properly.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts