Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I checked it couple of weeks ago, and It was VERY hard to see the dots, I couldent even see the degree marks, but I advanced it a little, but Im not sure by how much. It certainly has no more hesitation thow, and it doesent ping. What do you guys think I should do to make sure its alright, anything?

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Make sure your timing is right b/c after i had mine fixed i had no more hesistation on my car and it wa great.

·
Premium Member
3,864 Posts
that timing mark is kinda hard to see... so what I did was rotate the crank until the timing mark was visible, then I put a dab of white-out on the mark and let it dry. Now when I go to check my timing I know its dead on because I see a bright white flash when the mark hits the light. :)

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
might not be doing it right

you have to let the car warm up first, that thing that the timing marks are on moves sideways so you wont see it till the car warms up, also you have to put a paperclip in the blue plug adapter there two sets of these, located behind your radio, there loose you should be able to grab them. It will be the adapter thats smaller, take a paper clip in a U shape and have on in each hole, Doing this gives you a much more accurate reading. On my car i couldnt even come close till I did this, This info is also in any repair manual like chiltons or whatever.

·
KG6TWI
1,796 Posts
Re: might not be doing it right

autoluder said:
you have to let the car warm up first, that thing that the timing marks are on moves sideways so you wont see it till the car warms up, also you have to put a paperclip in the blue plug adapter there two sets of these, located behind your radio, there loose you should be able to grab them. It will be the adapter thats smaller, take a paper clip in a U shape and have on in each hole, Doing this gives you a much more accurate reading. On my car i couldnt even come close till I did this, This info is also in any repair manual like chiltons or whatever.
Actually, the paperclip takes the ECU timing advance out of the loop so you CAN set the timming.
If you dont use the clip, and just start rotating the dist housing on the head, the ECU will still be trying to controll the timming advance and you'll never get it right. You'll adnace it a degree, the ECU thinks somethings wrong, and retards it for you, and so on and so on. Putting the clip in there lets the ECU know its being tuned.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
Re: might not be doing it right

autoluder said:
you have to let the car warm up first, that thing that the timing marks are on moves sideways so you wont see it till the car warms up
WHAT? You tellin me the flywheel moves from side to side? Sounds like you got some loose bolts on your car! :p

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
no i just mean, that you wouldnt see the marks until the car is warmed up

·
Registered
777 Posts
so turning the distributor back will advance the timing right? i just installed my distributor and plopped it on there, never checked the timing, never jumped the ECU jumper, so i guess whats why nothing happened. It fires, and no pinging or weird noises. Guess its time to get a timing gun. Also if you remove the distributor, should there be oil behind it where the distributor attaches to the head? I was thinking a little is for lubercation, but maybe its my cam seal?!

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
When looking at the distributor from the passender side of the car (USDM cars)....

clockwise = retard
counter-clockwise = advance

Oil where you described is normal.

Using the paperclip in the service connector is only necessary if you are playing with timing while the motor is running.

·
formally Sik96prelude
1,061 Posts
^^ that is correct. and just cause you can't hear pinging doesn't neccissarily mean you are not pinging.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts