Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my H&R sport springs (1.4") for my 5th gen exactly a week ago today. However, for two days, I have noticed that my power steering is almost non-existent. When I'm turning, the wheel is like forcing me to bring it back to center. Anyway, I thought it was the power steering pump, but I brought it to Honda to take a test drive. After 10 seconds in the car, he said that I needed an alignment badly, and to get an aftermarket camber kit. The guy from the shop told me that an alignment wasn't necessary right away, and I also thought that camber kits were only necessary with a drop of more than 2 inches. So now I how three choices:
1. Get an alignmnet
2. Get the camber kit (i don't even know how much one costs) and alignment
3. Try to see if the power steering pump is the problem

What do you guys think is the problem?

·
Registered
171 Posts
get the camber kit before the alignment because thats how they will adjust it. Camber kits are around 250 i think but trust me you need one bad. When I put my sportlines on I ate through my steel belts in about 6 months. As for the steering it should be a little tighter but not that bad.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I was to get an alignment and not install a camber kit tomorrow, would the car eventually get mis-aligned again?

·
Registered
171 Posts
no but there is nothing they can do to fix the camber problem now...thats why you need the kit otherwise the alignment would only line up your wheels straight and not solve the tire wear problem that you are going to have without the camber kit.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have a 1.4" drop and no camber kit. I have found that an alignment will hold for most of the tires life if you don't drive hard continuously (like eating up back roads for an hour). Taking a few hard corners per day should be no problem. Running on the track is another matter entirely.

Even with the above treatment, I usually only notice severe uneven wear when the tires are almost toast anyway.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How long are stock tires supposed to last? (2000 model)

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you guys are saying, if I understand right, to get the alignment only, and not get the camber kit because it isn't that necessary for a 1.4" drop because the tires will wear out eventually at the same time as without one?

·
Registered
658 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jpresto:
How long are stock tires supposed to last? (2000 model)</font>
I had the stockers on for an embarrassing 45K miles.

At 30K they were 60 percent worn. Then I dropped the car. 15K later I was thru the belts on one of the tires. But I was driving REALLY hard for hours on end and with a load in the car.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey who knows maybe your tires wont wear out but Im just telling you from experience, so you wont get stuck on the side of the road like i did. And if you car is pulling and you dont want the camber kit then you should just go get an alignment. But if your worried about camber then get the kit, it cant hurt, and its the only real way to fix the problem.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
ONE MORE TIME people--you can't just buy a camber kit and expect to solve the problem. You need data from the car to determine which kits to order. Sadly, one may have to pay for the alignment 2 times (I got Pep Boys to do it for 1 price). An alignment is absolutely needed whenever you do suspension mods.

The drop you have requires kits on the rear. Not knowing the settings makes it hard to determine which kit exactly. I will guess that your toe-in is off a bunch too. Get the alignment data and call Ultra Performance-they sell both Ingalls and Specialty Products kits. I used Ingalls 3571 and3573 on the rear and Specialty Products 67130 on both fronts.
If you have an SH the front will be harder to get parts for. Seems Honda engineering designed the uprights (hub carriers) with a different taper depth for the SH ball joint.
You will be happy to learn that all of the companies have 800#'s and excellent support staffs.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was told by the guys over at the Toronto Prelude Club that my toe-in was off. The situation that I have, after closely examining the car, is that the wheels look like they are actually "inward" more. Meaning that they don't stick out as much. Will an alignment fix this problem?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
Hm...i've had my car dropped for 3 years now.. no problems.. and i still need to get an alignment..hahaha..I'm a lazy bastard.. but it doesn't pull to the left or the right... steering is great.. close to stock..

Camber..just a little...stock tires lasted 20,000 miles with hard driving.

Oh yeah..my stock shocks are still holding up.. even though i know i should get some aftermarket shocks.. I'm so bad..

--Sam

------------------

With Great Powers Come Great Responsibilities--Never Underestimate the Power of the VTEC

·
Registered
658 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jpresto:
I was told by the guys over at the Toronto Prelude Club that my toe-in was off. The situation that I have, after closely examining the car, is that the wheels look like they are actually "inward" more. Meaning that they don't stick out as much. Will an alignment fix this problem?</font>
Yes, an alignment cures this--the main problem since extra camber is introduced from the lowering. Hard cornering throws off the toe, so you might want to get another one performed about half way thru the tread life just to be safe.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is it alright to get an alignment after one week? Or should I wait longer?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
How about doing it the same day? You can wait but that is not the right thing. I do agree that one should get it checked more often after lowering or a lot of hard driving.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts