Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my time has come, i thought i heard a weird noise the other day and now the time has come. Honda took it around for a ride and listened to it,they said it will last a little longer but is gonna be done soon. $5400.00 freaking dollars for a new transmission from Honda,36 month 30k warranty,or another compamny they use for 3900 with a 50k warranty,looks like i am selling my POS for what i can get for it and buying something that will last and actually go fast.I would love to do the 5 speed swap but it might take a while to get the parts and i need a car.GRRRRRRRRRRRRR<SS's suck.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
it would probably be cheaper to buy a beater to drive around while you source the parts for the 5 speed swap. Figure buy some POS for 1k and pimp that for like a month while the swap gets done, ~2500 for the swap, then sell the beater for what you paid for it. 2500 for the swap, you have a car the whole time, and you end up with a 5 speed. what's not to like? :)

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
You really should look at doing a 5 speed swap. Luckily I had a warranty policy on my car when my tranny went out (damn, coincidently I bought it when my tranny first started to slip :p ). I was out $1400 total including the $100 deductable to replace the tranny. I wouldn't consider paying for a new tranny though, look at a rebuilt one. The rebuilts are getting a lot better now too, since they have been making them for a while. Your cheapest route will probably be a 5 speed swap, but your resale value will drop quite a bit if anyone catches that it was an auto in the begining.

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am gonna try to sell the car and buy a 5 speed, there is a guy near me with a 99 green lude with 40k on it for 13500 with absolutely no mods but tinted windows.I would love to keep my car cause i think pearl white is the best color but i gotta do what i gotta do.Although the swap is a good idea it's still a headache and i wouldnt need a beater since we have a few cars at my house.Buying a stick in the first place would have been my best bet.

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,841 Posts
Im wondering what Mods did you have on your car?
Maybe get a second opinion from a few places.
NJ car dealerships suck ass, i wouldnt take the first opinion you got for what its worth... I would go around... especially if they are asking for close to $6k to fix a car thats worth what now... $13k at most..(IMHO).

How many miles do you have on the car again?

BTW... I down shift to 2nd all the time on the highway to pass... i have a SS...like that other guy said the computer would just FLASH the gear you were trying to get into if you downshift way too low.... so there is no harm in doing that.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Pearl-lude99 said:
Well my time has come, i thought i heard a weird noise the other day and now the time has come. Honda took it around for a ride and listened to it,they said it will last a little longer but is gonna be done soon. $5400.00 freaking dollars for a new transmission from Honda,36 month 30k warranty,or another compamny they use for 3900 with a 50k warranty,looks like i am selling my POS for what i can get for it and buying something that will last and actually go fast.I would love to do the 5 speed swap but it might take a while to get the parts and i need a car.GRRRRRRRRRRRRR<SS's suck.
I could have sworn that they recently have been offering SS Auto rebuilds for $2400.00.

You might want to double sheck and insure that $5400 is not for a NEW transmission...

Here is a thread with wholesale pricing:

http://www.hpoa.org/forums/index.php?act=ST&f=9&t=2515&s=226ffa078a1efdd2b32a74b57ca42221

Gerhard

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thundercat: I was driving to work one night normal speed taking off from a red light,i was in first and hit it up to second at like 3500 rpms doing about 35 i guess it was and i heard a clunk.pulled into work and there was this nasty noise coming out of the engine bay.It sounded like a timing belt at first,then i thought it was something in the head,the noise sounded like it was all over the motor.But after hours of me listening and looking i put it on the lift running and u can hear a clunking noise inside the trans,and i took it to Honda today and there exact words were it is starting to fall apart internally.\

Deadfish, I have AEM cai, Apex N1 cat back and 18's that's all the mods at this moment,well installed at least, the car has 59k on it.ALSO, I was downshifting, i know the light flashes if u are going to fast to downshift, i was normal driving and upshifting to second.

Gerhard:the prices they gave me for a HOnda reman trans are, $5417 26k 36 month warranty, or a Howards reman for $3910 with a 50k 50 month warranty, just goes to show how much honda stands behind their parts huh..

·
Boston, MA
4,476 Posts
Vapor said:
it would probably be cheaper to buy a beater to drive around while you source the parts for the 5 speed swap. Figure buy some POS for 1k and pimp that for like a month while the swap gets done, ~2500 for the swap, then sell the beater for what you paid for it. 2500 for the swap, you have a car the whole time, and you end up with a 5 speed. what's not to like? :)
excellent idea but one thing i'd actually get the SS fixed instead of a swap and get rid of the car.:(

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little update, the trans is still shifting the same way it did when i bought it, no slipping grinding just making the clunking noise.It is going to a speed shop who rebuilds these trans before and he is gonna redo the enitre trans,so i am gonna try to get pics of what failed, he thinks the torque converter is loose and is slapping around,or possibly a bearing$1500 for a rebuild with all new parts is steal compared to honda's overpriced trans.

·
less whore than before
3,648 Posts
sorry to hear that, but if its covered by warranty just get it fixed and then sell the car. Or do the trade it in for a 5 speed swap like i did :bigthumb:

·
Registered
373 Posts
sigh.. almost the exact same thing happened to me

but my tranny was covered under warranty. But the car was out for like 3 months.. long story short.. i got so pissed that i end up trading it in at a Volkswagon dealership for a '99 SH they had.

manual is SOOOOOooOoooOo much more enjoyable.

·
Baller....
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah once i get it back from the tranny shop it is getting sold or traded in, if i dont decide to buy this 5 speed 5th gen i am getting the new 1.8 turbo golf with the 6 speed trans. the lude i am looking at now is green, i really want another pearl white one,but i cant be to picky.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts