Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have some interesting news to report. As many of you know my car is a full racecar at this point. I bought it back in '98 and used it as a streetcar for several years before making a progression to a full racecar. I put on an Unorthodox Racing under drive crank pulley at about 10k miles and now I have 40k miles. The last 25k miles have been accumulated at autocrosses and at the track. This weekend my mechanic (Marcucci) took off the oil pan to drill a hole for an oil temp sender. While he took it off he decided to remove the girdle and also inspect bottom end wear. To our surprise the complete bottom end including bearings looked brand new. Marcucci said he has seen less wear on H22a engines with 5k miles on them. This means with approximately 30k miles with a UR crank pulley my engine has had no bearing damage what so ever. To me this disproves the myth that a good crank pulley like the UR one causes bearing wear. Unfortunately I can't continue to use the UR crank pulley because it is illegal in the class I am racing in. However if I ever make the jump to production class where it is legal I will immediately reinstall it.
This is just my results and yours might vary, but I think the UR pulley is a great mod for our car.

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
did you see good gains from it?

wasnt it Marucci or one of the NTPOG guys who said prior to this that it was bad or stated it can cause wear on the bearings. I'm not pointing fingers....just remember that one of the ntpog guys mentioned that.

My question to Marucci or 71dsp is.... (if they check this that is)... what might have led to this...is it because you only using the car for track and autoX that made no damage to the bearing or do you think it was a really great installation that did it?

Would daily driven cars... due to vibrations and bad roads might experience something different then that?

Is it possible to use UNORTHODOX crank pulley with AEM under drive pulleys?

·
Registered
945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what gains exactly I got from the UR pulley, since I never did a dyno before and after. However, it does give enough of an improvement that you can feel the difference before and after.
A few years ago a NTPOG member did have bearing problems and they concluded the crank pulley was a leading factor. However it was not a UR pulley and their conclusion did not rule out possible other factors. My conclusion is that with over 30k of abuse my engine has no bearing wear with the UR pulley. I can safely state that 99% of everyone here does not stress their engine week in and week out more than I. Even with this stress the UR performed perfectly on my car and I can't be happier with its results.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Puts my mind to ease greatly!
I have the UR 3 piece pully set and could not be more happier.
Gives excellent hp thru out the powerband!
Thanks

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
I think you ALL just sold me on the UR crank pulley. Anyone know how much they are and if you can get it by itself.

DR .. did you do anything special during the installation? May be the quality of work done by the installer helped with no bearing wear.

Also...is it possible to use AEM pulleys and the UR CRANK pulley together?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
That's good news, I've always been wondering about my UR pulley and what it's doing to the bearings.

DR, would an Accord Euro R crank pulley without the power steering ring (thus minus the PS) be legal in your class?

I have one on order (should be here in June). It's an OEM Honda part, so it shouldn't be a problem with the car at all. Also it'll be lighter than the stock pulley, free some HP by removing the PS and save a bit of weight up front.

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/underdrive/pulley.shtml

Scroll to the bottom for the "updated" that I wrote back in 4/3/01.

71dsp was the original one with the mangled bearings (they looked BAD).

Good background:

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?&threadid=83638

And this is the mother of all the threads with a response from Unorthodox (they were on the board):

http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?&threadid=13141

I still hold my argument that Unorthodox's pulley is likely no different or better than a "generic" copy. Their CNC shouldn't be any better than anyone elses. I also hold that Unorthodox has not presented any data or evidence that theirs is any better as they claim.

I CAN say that DR's car is testimonial to the fact that the UR pulley is not the sole source of damage. Meaning, if his car didn't have the damage... then obviously not all UR-equipped cars will suffer damage. 71dsp's was a knock-off, but having looked at both you can't see any difference.

I think there is a dyno plot listed in one of these threads that shows a few HP gain. It certainly feels like a lot when you put it on.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i dunno im still a little iffy on getting it for my car......

·
Registered
411 Posts
SK Honda 7 said:
Also...is it possible to use AEM pulleys and the UR CRANK pulley together?
anyone?

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Only way to do that is if you get a belt that would fit both.

Also there might be a serious issue then with power at idle and recharging the batery. You would be severly underdriving the accessories. All this cause I'm assuming the UR Crank pully is smaller in size and not only lighter than the stock one. If it's the same size then you can just use an AEM belt.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
But a 4cylinder is different than a 6. Crank is much longer.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
showoff said:
Puts my mind to ease greatly!
I have the UR 3 piece pully set and could not be more happier.
Gives excellent hp thru out the powerband!
Thanks
What show said,

23,000 miles with the UR 3piece set and still going strong
sup jay (aem) heheh

nas

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
nas said:

What show said,

sup jay (aem) heheh

nas
going strong you may be.... but you dont know what your bearings look like on the inside.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
nas said:

What show said,

sup jay (aem) heheh

nas
open them up and see lol! This post also sold me on the crank pulley but I still need more assurance ;)

·
WHITE RUSSIAN !
2,170 Posts
Yea I'm also sold on it. Just need to see if anyone else has the same good luck with it. If they did...then i'm gonna get it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts