Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys!

I just joined the HID crowd and I am so glad I did :) There is absolutely no comparison with a halogen bulb and I've burned thru quite a few different types of those, over the years.

After looking over the various retrofit kits and weighing the pro's and con's of each, I learned of the new Bohmen 6000K kit. I had never heard of Bohmen before, so I asked lots of questions before I took the plunge. This kit is German made and uses 4th generation ballasts. It is identical to the new McCulloch kits being offered at G-Garage (www.mccullochhid.com) although G-Garage doesn't offer a 6000K app. At $429 shipped, it is also $170 less than the McCulloch kit (big bonus there). Joe at www.proxenon.com was very helpful in answering all of my questions and he assured me that the kit is 100% plug-n-play (with 1 small exception) and can be reversed very quickly (for inspections, fix-it tickets etc.). My mind was now made up, so I ordered the kit and received it via FedEx 3 days later.

What's in the kit, you ask? 2 - H1 HID capsules in very nice protective plastic casings, 2 - IV Gen ballasts and igniters, a bag of cable ties, double-sided adhesive pads and warning labels (although none of the printed languages were English!).

This picture compares the H1 HID capsule with a standard H1 halogen bulb. Notice how the bulb filament lines up with the arc gap area of the capsule so the projected beam pattern should be unaltered from OEM

The only reason that this kit is not 100% plug-n-play, is that modification to the OEM H1 bulb adapter is required. The adapter must be hollowed out in order to "collar" around the base of the capsule to allow it to be clamped in place like the halogen bulb. This is really pretty easy to do with a Dremel tool and a round bastard (file that is:) ). I bought a couple of new adapters (about $11 each at the dealer) to keep on hand in case I have to revert to halogen.

Here is a good place for me to state that there is absolutely no bending/modification of the internal headlight reflector to make the capsules fit - they fit perfectly! When installing the HID capsule/adapter into the headlight housing, be certain to orient the ground wire down (toward the street). The ground wire is the white ceramic coated wire that attaches to the end of the capsule.

By far, the most time consuming part of this install was deciding where to place the ballasts and igniters. I wanted a "stealth" install so I searched for the best hidden locations available without dropping the front bumper. This is where I put the igniter on the driver's side - just in front of the shock tower.

Next, I installed the ballast for the driver's side. I located it up near the firewall, just outboard of the master cylinder. Note that after about a month, the supplied adhesive pad started coming loose in this location. I replaced it with industrial strength Velco with water resistant adhesive and that seems to work much better.

Now, it's time to mate the new HID harness to the OEM harness. I used a cable tie as added security to prevent the connectors from vibrating apart, but this is probably unnecessary (I'm just a little paranoid about such things).

The driver's side is all buttoned up now. It really looks like it could have come from the Honda factory floor, doesn't it?

I'll cover the passenger side installation and testing in Part II

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Part II

It's time to take care of the passenger's side now. Here is where I put the igniter - just forward of the airbox.

I attached the passenger side ballast to the plastic battery tray.

Both sides are complete now, and we're ready for testing!

The picture below compares the beam pattern from CATZ Galaxy White bulbs (my favorite halogen) against the HID's. The beam cutoff of the HID is actually much sharper than that of the halogens. Of course, it's also *much* more intense!

This picture compares the difference in color and appearance between the CATZ and the HID's. My JDM foggies also use the CATZ bulbs.

Here is a comparison of the fields of view. Notice the much greater visibility the HID's provide. The CATZ bulbs don't reveal the curb that is visible with the HID's. The "pool" of light on the ground is also much more consistent.

This is a different perspective of the same thing. These pictures were taken from approximately the center of the driver's side front wheel.

The finished product!

I am quite impressed with the Bohmen kit. The installation was extremely easy and it looks like something that the good folks at Honda should have provided for us (at least as an option). The only thing that required any skill was Dremeling the bulb adapter and even that is not too bad. If I hadn't been so anal about keeping everything hidden out of sight, I could have finished in less than an hour.

These lights warm up very quickly and reach full brightness in about 5 seconds! Joe at www.proxenon.com said that the color of the light won't stabilize until the capsules have been burned in for about 100 hours, so I always have my headlights on nowadays. The color is currently brilliant white with just a hint of blue and a bit of yellow. It is supposed to stabilize on brilliant white when everything gets properly burned in.

Glare isn't really an issue either. There is a small amount but I've seen far worse from some OEM's. I've had the kit installed for about 2 months now. No one has high-beamed me yet and I never did any re-aiming after the installation. I encounter police cruisers regularly and they don't seem to notice anything out of the ordinary.

This might just be my favorite mod!

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
looks nice, but can you take a picture of the beam pattern aimed at a completely white wall from 20 feet away, 25 feet away, and 30 feet away.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sure. I'll be on the lookout for a white wall (or as close to white as possible) where I can do that. That's my garage door in the picture - it's white but if I backed up 20 feet I'd be in my neighbor's back yard :-0

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
oooh looks like i might get these....

so with HID's do they take more juice than halogens...anything bad about HID's???

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Very nice write up! I love to see more and more people getting HID's now. Its so true that once you have a set you will never go back to Halogen. One draw back of that kit is that it does have the ignitor and ballast. I ask my self why you wouldn't go for a kit with both of them in one unit. But either way the finished product looks nice. It was a great idea to hollow out the stock bulb clips, I have heard of alot of much more Ghetto ways of getting the bulbs to stay in there.

I also noticed in this pic below that hot spot that they created to the left of the beam pattern. I have the same problem with my kit. It doesnt mess up the beam pattern at all, I just have this line of unplaced light to the left of the beam. You can see it in the pic I have posted as well.

To me its not a big deal, but I still haven't found a HID kit other than the one Vick makes that will not have that effect on the beam pattern.

·
Registered
70 Posts
can anyone tell me which color u really want for hids. ive seen everything from 5000k to 10000k. which is the best.

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
IMO right around 6000k is perfect. Thats because putting a HID bulb in our housings isn't great for color. The reflectors seem to turn everything a bit more yellow. If you put a stock 4100k bulb in there its gonna be more white, but still have alot of yellow to it. I went with the Philips Ultinon 6000k because it will give me more color, but still a respectable beam pattern and light output.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
ok, so if it doesnt come with the ignitor and ballast then whats the point???

how much would that run me and what in the world are a ignitor and ballast???

oh and is it hard to install HID's yourself?

·
Dave
1,468 Posts
Some HID kits such as mine from Autolamps-online have the ignitor and ballast all in one. That way you dont have to try and find a place to mout two boxes just the one ballast.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
The advantage to seperate ignitor and ballast is that you get a longer distance of wire so you can mount them farther away from the headlamp unit. But nowadays all OEM applications have them as one instead of seperate units.

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
oooh looks like i might get these....

so with HID's do they take more juice than halogens...anything bad about HID's???
IIRC HID's don't take as much juice as the stock bulbs do.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts