Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to post a review on the custom exhaust I had installed on my prelude.

I have a 1997 Base Honda Prelude with a JDM H22A OBD2 engine swapped into it. The only previous mods were an Ebay intake and Exedy Stage 1 clutch.

The exhaust consists of the following:

Tri-Y (Hytech Replica) Header Acquired from the Group Buy on this site:
http://www.preludeonline.com/f96/private-label-mfg-power-driven-headers-h-series-242363/index6.html#post3169475
PM subliminalitr for current pricing

Vibrant Muffler (Streetpower Flat Black Oval, 2.5" part# 1146)
Ordered from THMotorsports: $115 after shipping

2.5" x 8" Flex-Pipe T304 Stainless Steel
Ebay Vendor bearriverconverters: $23 after shipping (1st thing to arrive)

Magnaflow 2.5" Universal Round Spun Metallic Cat (part# 59926)
Ordered from AllExhaust.com: $105 free shipping (took 1.5 weeks to get, longest to arrive)

The exhaust shop did not have a mandrel pipe bender, crush only. So I ordered two (2) 2.5" 90 Degree Stainless Steel Mandrel bends from Autozone (thanks to Kronn for the suggestion). Part# 10706
Autozone: $70 after tax from local store

I also decided to get 2 brand new o2 sensors, Denso. Sku# from thepartsbin.com is NP2344092. One of the sensors was DOA, easy replacement.
$102 after shipping for both sensors

I went to a place called Custom Muffler & Auto Repair in Kenner, LA to install my exhaust. They did a great job, very clean welds as you will see in the pics. They installed the header and all above parts and used their 2.5" SS piping to fill in the rest, all that cost me $600.

Pics of parts used:

Pics of header and exhast:

Crossmember clearance:

The installer said that a notch had to be made for the front o2 sensor:

This is a video of the way it sounds on start-up:

This is a video of how it sounds merging on the interstate:

I hope you guys enjoy this review. I hear a lot of posts about wanting exhaust clips so I am glad that I could add those, though not the best quality they are still sufficient.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, there is no resonator which in retrospect I do regret on some level. It is pretty damn loud but I love it. I drive semi-aggressively and it suits me. I live in a rural area and commute to a city and have not attracted any unwanted attention since the install which was Oct 13. I suppose that in the future I may add a resonator but at the moment it is low on my priority list.

The Magnaflow cat I chose did have a unique look and it has no heat shield so I make sure not to park on dry leaves or anything that can catch fire. I do not believe the cat dampens much noise.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
^ Thanks. I wanted to make a detailed write-up b/c when designing my exhaust I didn't see as many complete write-ups as I would have liked. On our cars, exhaust is mostly just sound improvement/bling and watching a youtube video with limited information leaves a lot of questions to be answered about the components used to make the desired sound. This shows each component I used and how they sound paired together.

I am interested in your exhaust set-up as well. Are you going to make a write-up after it is installed?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yes im hoping of making a full write up also for my exhaust system, but yet also see no point to as I am going to be using all the same set up as you just I will be adding a resonator. So I guess I will post a video/sound clip once I piece it all together. Plus I live in Ca. so I will be seeing if I can do a smog check and see what Im putting out with that cat. I know its more than likely not going to pass but just want to check for sh!ts and giggles.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
With a brand new cat and o2 sensors I would think you would pass smog. I really don't know enough about that to be saying anything though.

I think you should still make a video because you have a different cat and resonator. The sound will be noticeably different to the tuned ear (and not nearly as loud) and I would like to hear for myself as I might go back and add a resonator later down the road.

A piece of advice about that header (which I knew but did not follow): Don't touch it with your bare hands, wear gloves or something. I got my greasy fingers all over it and it tarnished the hell out of the stainless steel and once the header went through a few hot/cold cycles you can really see it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah they call it alcohol and you wipe it down really well with it after you install it so you dont have that happen. But yea Ca is really bad about their smog laws. Dont know if your from around the state but yeah there the Nazis when it comes to anything smog related. But I can always try... I will make a video for sure though.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What is this "al-co-hol" you speak of? Lol, I didn't read about that. Too late now, oh well.

I figured that a brand new exhaust w/ new cat and o2 sensors would produce less emissions than your old stock exhaust, even if bigger than oem. But I guess if the cat is a little to open then it might not convert enough emissions to pass smog. Seems to me you might want to focus on getting a cat that will do a good job. You should see if others have passed smog with the vibrant high flow cat you were looking at.

I've lived in Louisiana my whole life and never had to worry about much when it comes to keeping a car legal. They are really relaxed around here, plenty of beat up cars putting around that would fail the hell out of a smog test.

Do me a favor: when you make your write-up/video post me a link to it here. Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Your exhaust actually isnt to loud at all. I had a HKS Hi-Power on my 99 Integra with custom 2.5in piping and no resonator and that thing was extremely loud. I might not run a resonator on it at first after all. Then I will decide once I hear it and drive it myself.

Not really to concerned with emissions out here in So Cal since I will be having my stock header, cat and exhaust system just for the reason if I dont pass with my new exhaust system...

But yes once I get my system up and together I will post a video or two of the sound with my vibrant cat and see how the emissions goes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great write up. I am also doing a very similar custom setup. Good info and great sound clips. Your current set up is not as loud as my current one and I do have a resonator... (but my muffler is a N1 style with a 4in tip...poop) I also learned the hard way when it comes to handling a header.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts