Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this is what it looks like after a 40 mile commute home that took about 45 minutes in ~77F degree weather.

There's not much more to say as I already got my answer from my other thread but I thought I'd throw this up for anyone to comment on and it'll give you other guys something to compare your fluid to. (This is pretty DAMN full in regards to where the max line is.)

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited April 23, 2001).]

·
Registered
416 Posts
haha..looks like a mixture of sh#t and piss!

joon, it's obvious you need to bleed and flush your stuff...that's filthy..even dirtier than mine b4 i flushed.

did you have someone fill it up for you? maybe the last person who did it filled it too much. my fluid level pretty much stays put after driving about an hour in high heat.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is that really considered dirty? I don't know what clean fluid looks like so I have nothing to compare it to. I don't think anyone put more in there to the best of my knowledge no one's ever touched it.

------------------

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred.

·
Registered
416 Posts
well, standard brake fluid is clear with slight orange/yellowish tint. no brownish or black whatsoever.

I used valvoline synthetic fluid, which is crystal clear.

when you bleed/flush, you will see even darker stuff coming out, as the reservoir usually has all the cleanest portion/parts of the fluids in the system.

you will basically see solid brown stuff bleeding for at least 4-5oz.

flush soon man, and do your clutch system(esp, the master cylinder) a favor.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
And once you've flushed out all of the brown/black stuff, make sure you don't fill it to where it is in the picture. Fill it to the "max" line on the cylinder.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tola:
And once you've flushed out all of the brown/black stuff, make sure you don't fill it to where it is in the picture. Fill it to the "max" line on the cylinder.</font>
Yeah I know.....I honestly do NOT know why it is filled that much to begin with. I have to read the Helm tonight to learn how to bleed this thing. If anyone's got any tips or can give me a run down on how to do it it would be much appreciated.

Oh and Tola I emailed you about the tools for the valve adjustment.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
Yeah I know.....I honestly do NOT know why it is filled that much to begin with. I have to read the Helm tonight to learn how to bleed this thing. If anyone's got any tips or can give me a run down on how to do it it would be much appreciated.

Oh and Tola I emailed you about the tools for the valve adjustment.

</font>
Well, I think the manual said for you to just loosen the screw and keep pushing and pulling the clutch pedal. For some reason, this didn't work to well for me. So each time I loosen the screw, I have my little bro push the clutch down, then I tighten it once it's all the way down and have him pull it back up. This works the best for me. Keep topping off the master cylinder. You'd probably have to repeat it like 15-20 times to get everything out.

Also, thanks for the e-mail, but as I've stated in the previous post, I found the answer already

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tola:
Well, I think the manual said for you to just loosen the screw and keep pushing and pulling the clutch pedal. For some reason, this didn't work to well for me. So each time I loosen the screw, I have my little bro push the clutch down, then I tighten it once it's all the way down and have him pull it back up. This works the best for me. Keep topping off the master cylinder. You'd probably have to repeat it like 15-20 times to get everything out.</font>
Thanks man....I'm going to go read the Helm now.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
416 Posts
go get(if you already haven't)
1.a clear bottle, a good sized water bottle will do
2.a 1/4"(8mm or slightly smaller) clear tubing from a hardware store(about 2ft).
3.a 8mm open end wrench
4.some good brake fluid.
5.someone to help you press the clutch.

The trick to bleeding the clutch fluid w/o having to close and open the bleed valve multiple times is to have the open end of the bleed tube drain at a higher level than where the bleed valve is.

as long as the open end is sitting somewhere higher, you can pull and depress the clutch pedal while pumping out a good amount each time.

make sure you don't let the reservoir go too low, as air will get in the system this way. constantly fill the reservoir and you'll be fine.

keep pumping away and refilling until you see clean fluid coming out of the bleeder valve.

close valve, depress clutch and open valve and close right away after you see no bubbles coming out of the system(there shouldn't be if you kept the open end higher).

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
no one has said it yet... but,
i think this should be in the FAQ.

------------------
AIM: ImagePree

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**
OG H-A Member
Who else wants these Jammies???

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is now FAQ'd.
Thanks to all who replied.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
This is now FAQ'd.
Thanks to all who replied.

</font>
I'm guessing you should do that before the track day. Let me know when your looking to do it I'd like to know for myself. BTW I'm pretty sure that airline tubing from an aquarium is perfect to bled through. I have some at home I'll try and check the diamter and see if it matches.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think I'm going to do this on Saturday after my VAFC install at Dan's house....not sure yet though.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99prelude:
finally installing the vAFC? Mine is sitting on my desk at home. I need to find some time. And I gotta order and change my brake pads,clutch fluid, tranny fluid, brake fluid all before the 12th of May!! I better get moving.</font>
Yup it goes in either Friday night or Saturday during the day. I have to get my brakes done as well. I'm already feeling some fade.

Can someone tell me exactly WHY dirty fluid is bad? I'm guessing the dirt will or could clog up the master cylinder but is that all there is to it?

------------------

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by imagepree:
does anyone know how much fluid is in the clutch system?</font>
I think this is in the manual no? I haven't checked yet.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if it is, then i cant find it. *shrugs*</font>
Hmmmmm, it HAS to be listed somewhere.

------------------

[email protected]

·
Registered
416 Posts
if it is, then i cant find it. *shrugs*</font>
I'm guessing less than a quart, for sure, more like half a quart.

------------------
kimchi cures cancer

1 - 20 of 23 Posts