Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.wscc.org/results/2001/ax20010422.htm

I'm in Novice Modified and my class is DSP not CSP as is noted......I think I came in third? (not positive as I'm too busy eating lunch to compare all the times)

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should note that both me and Scriber are in there.....it wasn't just MY autocross.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Why aren't you running in STS instead? It has a much easier PAX index (0.782 vs DSP's 0.819). If you ran in STS, you would have been 3rd in your novice class!

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Pork Chop:
Why aren't you running in STS instead? It has a much easier PAX index (0.782 vs DSP's 0.819). If you ran in STS, you would have been 3rd in your novice class!</font>
I have NO clue why I'm not in STS. I don't even know anything about that class. When I got there I was listed under CSP but I asked the guy if that was correct as every other Prelude I've ever seen run there was listed under DSP as well.......they looked up something in some book and said "DSP" so I just took that. I'll have to do more research on this later.

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
Check here for the allowed mods in STS:

http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/Rules/street_touring.html

For STS, you're allowed I/H/E, shocks and springs (and coilovers obviously), strut bars, swaybars, any size wheel up to 7.5" and any size tire up to 225 width. There's other stuff too, but I just mentioned the major items.

Preludes do run in DSP, but you're underprepped there (unless you have a Quaife and race tires).

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
you guys had 5 runs??????? jesus!!! we only get 3 here

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fazle'sRightNut:
wow... come to my site. i will give you free moderator status just for being an OP!</font>

·
Registered
997 Posts
I didn't know what class i was in either....if anyone would like to help...i dun have shiet on my car xcept for a kn drop in. I registered for GS. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,003 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Prelude Ed:
you're lucky i didnt run. ahhahah

congrats...

</font>
right on man!!! LOL j/k

too bad i was too busy taking pics and not watching the whole time. next time, someone else is holding the camera, dammmit! grrr

------------------
AIM: ImagePree

**scratch here, ding there. Sigh...**
OG H-A Member
Who else wants these Jammies???

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Scriber:
I didn't know what class i was in either....if anyone would like to help...i dun have shiet on my car xcept for a kn drop in. I registered for GS. Thanks.</font>
You're in the right class. GS is pretty limited in terms of mods. You're allowed to change "wear" items to some extent. So, any tires (but need to have stock sized wheels), shocks (but not springs), and any air filter as long as you dont change the plumbing (which means you must have the original resonator and airbox intact).

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Good job Ray!. What is the advantage of running in STS, besides the PAX?

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Looks like you came in third to last in your class...

Not bad for your first go. Only two DNFs looks like, or O/C as your region calls it. I usually dont go by the indexing, I want to beat everyone based on my times, no indexing, though they are fun to look at sometimes.

STS's advantages are that you get to run street tires rather than rcompounds. The street tires are usually cheaper, thats the advantage, and you really dont have to change your tires after you run. However, you dont get to have an aftermarket differential like you can in dsp and when you get more into it you are gonna want rcompounds anyways.

I run in STS and it is very competitive, except when an impreza shows up and spanks us all because they get lsd and all wheel drive and they get to run under sts rules still... Once my quaife arrives though, its been forever, I am going to get my rcompounds and go into dsp. Check out this link:
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/
This will help you find a class with your mods. Unless you have a turbo or SC, STS, STR, and DSP are the good classes for our cars. If you want to remain stock, its G stock, but then you got to go against the ITR.

You only get 3 runs ooooooo? Man, over here we get 6 unless that crapload of people show up like the early autoxs where we got 4 and 5 because of nearly 100 drivers...

------------------
If you only knew the power of the Lude...
'98 Red Base Prelude
"Straights are for fast cars. Turns are for fast drivers." - SCCA Solo2
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Premium Member
945 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by jacques:
What is the advantage of running in STS, besides the PAX?

</font>
An STS car can run in DSP, but it's underprepped there. STS is a street tire class, while DSP runs on R-compound tires. A lot of DSP cars are trailered to events and are sometimes unstreetable. DSP allows more mods than STS, the most important one being an LSD.

On a 60 second course, a DSP car should be 2.7 seconds faster than the STS car.

At the local level, maybe no one runs in DSP or perhaps the cars there aren't really prepped to limits. You can probably be semi-competitive there with a Prelude. But if you are in a larger region where people might have a fully prepped nationally-competitive DSP car, then you're in trouble. The car to have in DSP is the Fiat X1/9. The Ford Capri (the early 70's one) and BMW 325's also do pretty well. I'm not sure how well a FWD car would do. I haven't seen a fully prepped DSP Prelude yet, but there is a GSR out here that does pretty well at local events (but not so well at national events).

Some regions dont even have an STS class. It is however, a national class, so most SCCA regions should have one. If not, pester them to start one! Your region might have an STR class, which is STS but with R-compound tires instead.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Pork Chop, at the last autocross, the Fiat X1/9 won the DSP class. I might consider STS now that you mention it. Will I have to start over in novice points if I move to STS?

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
i think the R compound tires alone can shave 1-2 seconds off your time in a 60-second course. and everyone should check the link darth luder posted to make sure you're placed in the class that you can be most competitive (while eligible) in.

and darth luder, yeah, we only get 3 runs and we seldom get fun runs (i should say NEVER when we run in the morning). we easily get 200+ entrants!!

------------------
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fazle'sRightNut:
wow... come to my site. i will give you free moderator status just for being an OP!</font>

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
Novice points really dont mean anything since you are only supposed to be learning in that class. You should only be in it 3 times or until you win it, then you have to go to another class your car fits into, become a member of the scca or local car club that is running it, then you can qualify for year end trophies and points. You get points at every event, but if you are not a member, then they dont count. Plus you have to have run in a majority of the events for the year in order to qualify for the trophies...

------------------
'98 Red Base Prelude
AEM CAI, APEX-i VAFC, Neuspeed Ft Up Strut Bar, 28 mm Neuspeed RR Sway Bar, Neuspeed Sport Springs, Koni Yellows, and SH RR Deck installed. Shock knock cure done. Installing Quaife ATB Differential.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
o0OO0o, that's the same deal with me...168 drivers at the last autoX.

·
Premium Member
7,514 Posts
AHHHHHH 200!!! Wow, that sucks. You should make a comment to try and get them to have two or three events on the same day to help break up that congestion. Is that in LA or NY or something?

Yeah, they say that rcompounds are supposed to shave 3 seconds off of your time. Of course that is variable, but they do definately help. Though, it is really better to learn on street tires because rcompounds can hide poor driving technique easier and can hurt your learning curve...

------------------
'98 Red Base Prelude

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darth Luder:
Novice points really dont mean anything since you are only supposed to be learning in that class. You should only be in it 3 times or until you win it, then you have to go to another class your car fits into, become a member of the scca or local car club that is running it, then you can qualify for year end trophies and points. You get points at every event, but if you are not a member, then they dont count. Plus you have to have run in a majority of the events for the year in order to qualify for the trophies...

</font>
Damn
! All those points for nuthin'!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts