Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I borrowed my friends G-Tech and took the car to an open straight road. The following are the times and MPH I got. Now, I never have done anything like this before, so bare with me. Also, my car has no mods and nothing was taken out of my car, i.e. sub-box, seats, etc... Here are my times for four runs:

1st: 89.5 MPH 16.35 sec
2nd: 88.0 MPH 16.60 sec
3rd: 90.9 MPH 15.99 sec
4th: 91.9 MPH 15.86 sec

My only question is this, how accurate is the G-Tech and is this normal for a stock Type SH. I think I can do better if I lower the tire pressure and figure out the best RPMs to release in 1st gear. My last time I let the clutch out at 3K and squilled the tires a little but I had the pedal to the metal the whole time. Please let me know, thanks.

------------------
Militaryhorn

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Fusion:
It's not very accurate. That's all I can say!</font>
I could be, he just might not be the greatest driver in the world...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cut me some slack, I have never tried drag times before, LOL. That was a funny comment though, I am willing to take any advice. Don't poke fun at me unless your willing to conceid a little help. Don't you want me smokin everyone I race.

------------------
Militaryhorn

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Yeah i think he may be partially right about the driver, considering that the gtech only relies upon acceleration (Which it then uses to find distance). Given that the correct equations are programed into the unit, i don't see why the gtech should be far from accurate.

HOwever, it could be a combination of both driver (due to it being your first drag race) and because of the gtech's design. Because its so damn sensitive, it might start timing you as soon as the car moves juuuust a teeeny bit, thereby making your times longer than normal, because any little movement would conceivable turn it on. On the other hand, a true 1/4 mile strip measures your reaction time in addition to how quickly you travel. Gtech doens't offer this...its as if your RT is 0.00s - which would DECREASE your time....so go figure out which one is the dominating force here...

------------------
'98 White Prelude
Neuspeed Race Springs
Koni Adj Shocks
Neuspeed Front Strut Bar
Removed Resonator
DC Sports Ceramic Headers
Rear ST Sway Bar
JRSC sitting on garage floor

[This message has been edited by iranman (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,081 Posts
The only way you'll really know is if you go to the track and give it a shot. Most people that have them here claim they are within .1 seconds - not too bad. The real trick is to stay in VTEC (specially 1-2 which is tricky) and don't spin too much (too much spin means you're wasting traction). But you were obviosuly getting better.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The races up here in alaska don't start until the end of May. But they do have some midnight runs for fun on Friday nights, I will be going to my first one this weekend, I'll let you know how I actually fare in a race. Thanks guys

------------------
Militaryhorn

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Keep practicing. You should be able to get it down to 15.2. And a 0-60 of 6.8.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a G-tech, and I felt that it may have been accurate, but I dunno. I sold it before I had a chance to verify it. It did teach me that I had to practice a lot if I wanted to get a good time. Oh well. I only tried it a few times; for the 1/4, I only got a 15.7 (with a base), but that was with a "quiet" start, without wheelspin. Obviously, with a proper launch, I'd be in low 15's.

Even if the g-tech was not accurate, it'd still be useful for testing and improving your skills. However, if you want something more like a dyno plot to measure or tune, it's not as good as a real dyno.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I used a Gtech a couple of times at the track and it was consistently .10 faster than the strip. Also remember that Gtech MPH speeds are the speed your car is traveling at the end of the 1/4, whereas the MPH you get at the track is an avg of your speed over the last 60ft.

Also, true a strip will measure your reaction time, but that time has nothing to do with your ET. Your ET will be the same whether your cut a perfect .500 light or sit there for 30 seconds THEN punch it
The Gtech starts timing as soon as it senses forward motion, a strip starts timing as soon as your front tires pass the first beam.

Hope this helps,

------------------

01 ITR #193
99 CR-V LX

http://people.atl.mediaone.net/h22a/itr.html

·
Registered
521 Posts
One good thing about owning one is that it helps improve your drag times. It may or may not be accurate but it's a very good to practice with.

·
Da Monkii
3,076 Posts
I don't think G-Tech pro is accurate and it's not off by 1/10 of a sec. I ran at Ennis three times which is 15.301, 15.321, and 15.502. However, when i measure the G-tech it said 14.70, 15.01, 15.00. thoes where the times and i have CAI/E/ V-AFC abse model that its. anyhow how that help, or maybe my skill got better who know?

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dragazn:
I don't think G-Tech pro is accurate and it's not off by 1/10 of a sec. I ran at Ennis three times which is 15.301, 15.321, and 15.502. However, when i measure the G-tech it said 14.70, 15.01, 15.00. thoes where the times and i have CAI/E/ V-AFC abse model that its. anyhow how that help, or maybe my skill got better who know?</font>
we ran the gtech the night before, our times were the same. We ran the gtech ON the track at the very same time. It was off by no more than .15 It is extremely accurate and the street traction vs. track traction is the only other comparison to the difference you get on the street vs the track.

Two completely different launching methods IMO.

Anyways 5Gen_Prelude was right on with his post. 1st/2nd vtec. Very tricky, near impossible at the track. Street traction is easier

[This message has been edited by 99Prelude_LC (edited April 11, 2001).]

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
i have a stock 2000 SH and routinely pulled high 14s on the gtech - best was a 14.8x. the consenus around the net is that the gtech is within .1 second IF it's mounted properly (.00) and IF the road is LEVEL. further, you will have more trouble launching at the track... i had 0-60 times as low as 6.3 seconds with the gtech... haven't done any runs lately (in about 6 months)

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Militaryhorn:
Ok, I borrowed my friends G-Tech and took the car to an open straight road. The following are the times and MPH I got. Now, I never have done anything like this before, so bare with me. Also, my car has no mods and nothing was taken out of my car, i.e. sub-box, seats, etc... Here are my times for four runs:

1st: 89.5 MPH 16.35 sec
2nd: 88.0 MPH 16.60 sec
3rd: 90.9 MPH 15.99 sec
4th: 91.9 MPH 15.86 sec

My only question is this, how accurate is the G-Tech and is this normal for a stock Type SH. I think I can do better if I lower the tire pressure and figure out the best RPMs to release in 1st gear. My last time I let the clutch out at 3K and squilled the tires a little but I had the pedal to the metal the whole time. Please let me know, thanks.

</font>

·
Registered
436 Posts
I thought a few of the other factors were that you had to program it for the weight of your car, and you had to make sure the surface you're using is extremely flat.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
the weight only matters if you're using it's HP calculator... which is extremely suspect i think because of other factors... like drag. when it reads 00 it is level wether or not the road is. obviously if the road is downhill you're gonna get a better time. it's best to do multiple runs in both directions to verify that the road is flat.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LuderSH:
I thought a few of the other factors were that you had to program it for the weight of your car, and you had to make sure the surface you're using is extremely flat.</font>

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I do think I have learned a little but the thing I learned the most is that I am not that good yet. I will tell you this much, my times will improve, after all I have only done four runs.

------------------
Militaryhorn

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
practice your launches - you don't want to be burning the clutch, but you also don't want to ever be below 4000 RPM, and preferably never below 5200 RPM. it is quite tricky to get it to hook up at the vtec crossover without causing some serious clutch slippage, but if 3000 was the highest you launched at, you're being too conservative.
also make sure you are shifting right before the fuel cutoff (which will be around 8000 on your tach!) and minimize the time you stay out of gear.
incidentally, driving like this is hard on your clutch, hard on your tires and hard on your tranny. don't do it every day!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
When I am coming out of first gear should I be popping the clutch or releasing it slow to fast or maybe constant speed. As far as shifting goes, when I come out of 1st it is very quick and I don't go below 5K RPM. It's first gear I am hesitant about. Also, when I am switch gears from 1st and beyond, I hardly ever ease off the clutch I usually pop it out, is that bad? Thanks.

------------------
Militaryhorn

1 - 20 of 20 Posts