Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm getting an offer I cannot refuse, its a Mugen header and exhaust for the 5th gen. Its off a guy who lives here in Vancouver who sold his car and desperately needs money so he is parting out with it for $1500 CDN. I think thats a steal considering brand new its over $2500.

Problem is I haven't seen it yet, my buddy told me but am kinda wary that it could be fake cause I know Ractive sells the twin loop that looks exactly like Mugen.

Question:
How can I tell if its authentic, does it say Mugen anywhere on the exhaust/headers???
Please give me any hints as I don't wanna get ripped.
Thanks.

·
Banned
2,048 Posts
The Mugen header and exhaust are stainless. If they're used, the header should be slightly bronze in color but with NO visible rust... there may be a spot or two where an idiot touched with his finger, but otherwise the header should have only pock-marks from dust at most. Two pipes should be stamped up top with something that identifies it as Mugen.

The Mugen exhaust is stainless as well, and there should be no rust on it. The side of the muffler is also stamped with a Mugen signature.

------------------

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by atlxchink:
When I try to picture o0OO0o as a moderator, the image of Beavis hacking away at the keyboard comes to mind </font>

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
The Mugen header will have a Mugen emblem and a JASMA logo on the primary exhaust manifold section. The exhaust has the Mugen and JASMA logos etched on the bottom of the canister. The A pipe and B pipe have no markings.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
That is a sweet deal man, I'd go for it. Oh, yeah it is pretty easy to tell if it real mugen, mugen and jasma are on both the exhaust and header.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Great!!! Thanks guys for you helpful hints. As soon as I go take a look at it and if all looks decent I'm gonna get it.
Can't wait, to see the full stainless steel piece.

Lude2K:
Any regrets on purchasing it??? I haven't heard a real Mugen exhaust but I hear that its almost like stock but louder obviously.
Do you think its a restriction with the Twin Loop design since the whole thing does a 360 degree turn into the muffler before exiting the tip????

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BlkLude:
Great!!! Thanks guys for you helpful hints. As soon as I go take a look at it and if all looks decent I'm gonna get it.
Can't wait, to see the full stainless steel piece.

Lude2K:
Any regrets on purchasing it??? I haven't heard a real Mugen exhaust but I hear that its almost like stock but louder obviously.
Do you think its a restriction with the Twin Loop design since the whole thing does a 360 degree turn into the muffler before exiting the tip????
</font>

No regrets here, love the mugen exhaust. It is quiet at idle and under 3000rpms but when you get the revs higher you will definately hear it. I don't think it is restrictive at all.

------------------

Pearl White
00'SS

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
That's a sweet deal! I'm assuming both you and the person you're buying the exhaust from have the same kind of model, because exhaust length is different from base vs. the SH.

To add with Lude2k, the sound you will get is nice and deep...with "regular" driving, you won't have to worry about cops pulling you over because of the exhaust sound...unless you're going by at 5200+ rpms

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn almost forgot about the pipe length from the Base and SH, thanks Jaques for the reminder, I'll check to see what it came of from. Mine is a base. So what if its from a type SH, can I modify it. Is the piping shorter or longer.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
13,753 Posts
Piping on the SH is shorter. Can it be modified? Possibly, but I'm no exhaust expert
. Good luck!

------------------
AIM screename: jsarino
'99 Ficus Green Pearl Type SH:
AEM cai, DC Sports SS header, Mugen exhaust, RH Evo CP-035s, GC/Konis, Spoon bars, and more!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts