Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chevy 350 swapped Prelude
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's simple, I got under my car yesterday, and there are so many bolts I can't tell which ones do which.

How Do I know which one drains and which one fills? Can someone post a pic?

Even describing the location seems sort of futile because there are so many bolts how would I know you're not talking about the one an inch away....geez.

I don't have the factory manual, and the helms I downloaded isn't exactly what I would call specific. Are they pointed down, or are they sideways? Do they have a unique mark on them, are they a diff size? How can I tell?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
the oil file and drain plug should be about 14mm or thereabouts. usually its that size for oil plugs.

as for illustrations in helms, follow this basic principle: if it looks like the "camera" was below the object, then you'll also have to be in that position to find it; if it looks like the "camera" was above the object, then vice versa.

basically if it looks like the thing was shot from above its most likely on top of the engine, if it looks like it was shot from below then the opposite is true.

anyway, i found the illustration of discussion on page 13-3 of the helms. and yes it is rather inspecific. the only advice i can give is to print it out and drag yourself under the car and look around. kinda just have to look for a pattern of 6 bolts (2 large and 4 smaller), which i believe you should find if you're laying by the passenger side wheel looking down at the rest of the engine. although you want to focus your sights at the transmission.

·
Unregistered User
4,287 Posts
Lemme clear it up some more. From under the car on the passenger side. Look at the tranny. It will look like the picture I posted. Look at where the axle meets the tranny. The fill and drain will be there. The drain plug isn't a normal bolt. All you need to do is stick a 3/8" socket wrench into the head and turn, no socket required.

Shimee I don't quite understand your logic about how the photos were taken. I just looked at the image in the helms and the view point is from the top. You can't see the drain and fill plug from the top let alone access it.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
short and simple

the picture shows the object in question and which direction is front, find said object and look at it the same way.

i took a look at the helms too. it's not soo bad. if you know what the transmission looks like then you should be able to find those two specific bolts relatively easy

if you still can't find it by tonight i'll go take a picture

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I'll jack it up tonight(maybe tomorrow because I get home late and it'll be hot), and see if I can't find it. With all this great depth there should be no issue. I do remember seeing a funny bolt where the head wasn't a normal bolt, but looked like I needed an allen wrench, but then again it was full of grease. And you know what, I think I actually saw them, but I saw so many other bolts I just was like.."what if I accidentally pick the wrong one??"; I didn't want to take the chance, so I thought I'd ask.

Like I said, I look around tonight or tomorrow, and see what I can find. Tanks so much for help.
I'll be back for more later......

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
Use a 3/8" ratchet to get the drain bolt off. It doesn't use a socket, it just fits in there.

Oh... Remove the fill plug first. You don't want to drain it and then discover you can't refill it :laugh:

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, the drain bolt is the wierd one, the fill bolt should look normal...got it.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eww yeah man, I've been watching the news, you guys are really getting it up there aren't you? I hope you don't get stuck. Is that an issue, or do they keep the roads clear? How do your cars handle it, I mean, I thought my cars had it hard when I have to start it on a cold morning of 32-34°F Thats about as bad as it gets here; on some years, we get down to 25-28, but that would be a very rare occasion...

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Eww yeah man, I've been watching the news, you guys are really getting it up there aren't you? I hope you don't get stuck. Is that an issue, or do they keep the roads clear? How do your cars handle it, I mean, I thought my cars had it hard when I have to start it on a cold morning of 32-34°F Thats about as bad as it gets here; on some years, we get down to 25-28, but that would be a very rare occasion...
i had to mail a package out this morning and it was something between 0F and 10F, it felt like. the car started but it was definitely a strained start; the starter didn't like it at all. it was so cold it felt like my car had no power steering and the shocks sounded like a noisy mattress you'd pick up from a brothel.

the thing that gets a beating is my SS tranny. i only have 28k on it but in this cold whenever it shifts i can't help but wince.

they do a good job clearing the roads though. after it stops snowing they lay down a decent amount of salt and sand. i've never lost control in heavy snow or snowy roads (not by accident that is :D) though, so it definitely beats having a FR car. i do have goodyear eagles and they've brought good luck so far.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey, my only worry for you snow-country guys is rust...

So, I found the bolts, after a couple seconds...heh, thanks all.

But like usual, now I have some other questions: They say you need to replace the washers on the bolts(do both the drain and fill plugs have them?) every time you do a change, is this completely necessary? I don't want to go back to the dealer for jsut a stupid washer. Is this something I really need to worry about?

And secondly, is it easier for you guys to make a make-shift funnel from the top to fill it, or get a siphon thing and pump it up? What way did you all do it? Where could I get a siphon thing that would fit? Does it matter what rubber hose I use if I make a contraption of my own, or is any rubber hoseing safe? I heard that some rubber breaks down, and if it gets into any mechanical thing, it'll **** it up.

Thanks again all.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Hey, my only worry for you snow-country guys is rust...

So, I found the bolts, after a couple seconds...heh, thanks all.

But like usual, now I have some other questions: They say you need to replace the washers on the bolts(do both the drain and fill plugs have them?) every time you do a change, is this completely necessary? I don't want to go back to the dealer for jsut a stupid washer. Is this something I really need to worry about?

And secondly, is it easier for you guys to make a make-shift funnel from the top to fill it, or get a siphon thing and pump it up? What way did you all do it? Where could I get a siphon thing that would fit? Does it matter what rubber hose I use if I make a contraption of my own, or is any rubber hoseing safe? I heard that some rubber breaks down, and if it gets into any mechanical thing, it'll **** it up.

Thanks again all.
rust does suck. i wash down the underbody every two weeks for that matter.

i'd think that a walmart or something should have one of those funnels with the 3 or 4 foot rubber spout. if you're gonna make it on your own try home depot and ask them for an oil certified hose. i'd do a clear vinyl or pvc so i could see if i'm over filling and such.

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ahh yeah, I was also gonna ask that.

Supposedly, the max fill point is until it overflows. Does that mean that I can just fill it until it over flows, or is that BAD?

·
Registered
210 Posts
your over thinking it lol. Just fill it till it starts to ooze out. When it does, just cap it off.

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
your over thinking it lol. Just fill it till it starts to ooze out. When it does, just cap it off.
+1

As for the crush washers, if they're not too badly mangled you can reuse them. I've reused the drain washer on the tranny with no leaks. Autoparts stores generally stock crush washers, so you can go to one with the drain bolt and find the right sized one

·
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I thought I was too; I'm gonna go searching for a funnel of some sorts today, and do it tomorrow, thanks all for help/advice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The Easiest way to change the Fluid is to
1 Remove the Fill Plug ( Not the Drain like G Loc Said ) ;)
2 Remove the Drain Plug
3 Replace the Crush Washers ( If you gonna do a job Do it right the first time and you wont have worries later down the road not even prolly a dollar for two of em
4 Install your drain plug again
5 Get about 2.5 -3 foot of .5'' Tubing and A cheap plastic funnel. insert one end of the tubing into your fill hole and thread the other half up through the engine bay insert the funnel into the tube and fill your Tranny ( i think its like 2 Qts or something like that again Helms to the rsq

·
Unregistered
4,054 Posts
Use a 3/8" ratchet to get the drain bolt off. It doesn't use a socket, it just fits in there.

Oh... Remove the fill plug first. You don't want to drain it and then discover you can't refill it :laugh:
True lol I had brain fart the first time around

·
Registered
31 Posts
adding on to this, I was at pep boys the other day and saw some ROYAL PURPLE MT fluid. No specs on a certain type or nothing. It just said MT fluid. Does it matter what kind you use or is MT fluid all the same as long as you have the right amount in the trans. Thinkin bout doing this tomorrow.

Oh and can I get crush washers anywhere or are they vehicle specific

1 - 20 of 21 Posts