Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so since the monster tach is in engine RPM, i've been screwing around but cant quite find the magic point where to put the shift light. where do you guys have it set?

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
You cant set the shift light right at 7400 rpm, because by the time you see the light and your reaction time, you already hit rev-limiter. I set mine at 7200RPM. When I see the light, I immediatley shift after, by the time I shift its already 7400 rpm, perfect...

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
since the tach is tapped off the RPM signal wire or whichever other wire its hooked up to, its accurate? so if its 7300 on the MT its 7300? what im tryin to say is is it much more accurate than the stock tach?

god that was confusing

·
Registered
3,285 Posts
If you want your tach to read good you should run it down to the ECU.

·
6,152 Posts
or that....

what does the stock tach run off of?

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
looks like its 7400 (rev limiter) to me....

·
Registered
245 Posts
the monster tach and the stock tach should be the same except that the monster tach is easer to read at a quick glance..for a couple reasons..1 it's larger...2 you put it higher on the dash so it is more in your line of site...but as far as accerecy goes it should be the same.

·
6,152 Posts
does the stock tach tap off the ECU? why is it off ~400rpm? is it because the markings are off or its not being tapped from the ECU?

·
6,152 Posts
3rdgenluder said:
the monster tach and the stock tach should be the same except that the monster tach is easer to read at a quick glance..for a couple reasons..1 it's larger...2 you put it higher on the dash so it is more in your line of site...but as far as accerecy goes it should be the same.
not true, entirely, the stock tach is off ~400rpm;)

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
The stock tach is not off 400RPM always. Depending on what RPM you are at, it will vary in accuracy. The higher RPM you go, the more inaccurate it becomes.

I have found the stock tach to be more accurate then the autometer tach at lower RPMs. I have verified this with my VAFC, which has a digital RPM readout.

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can someone with an aftermarket tach reply? what is your rev cut on the tach?

·
Eh. :(
3,254 Posts
Running it to the fuel cut once won't hurt the car.
The autometer should read ~7600 at the fuel cut.
Whatever the tach reads- it is getting 2 pulses per crank revoulution, so put your shift light a couple hundred RPM before your desired shift point.
Given reaction time 7300 should be enough if you want to shift at redline.
This isn't from monstertach experience on a prelude, but it works the same on every car. It will read different from the stock tach beacuse it is calibrated better.

·
Just say NO to euro-rice
2,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my rev cut, on the monster tach, is 7400.... :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Hi guys,

I was wondering how useful an aftermarket tach really is? I mean, how often do you actually check the tach? Do you guys use it mainly for the shiftlight?

I'm just wondering because I haven't opened it yet, and I was considering returning it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Nuro look at your Dyno sheet. See were the max output is. Then set it there.

I set mine at 7100rpm

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I set mine at 7200. Once you see that shift light lite up... shift or you're gonna be hitting rev limiter definately. And yes.. the higher up you are in rpms, the more inaccurate the stock tacho is.

--Sam

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Do you guys that have the monster tach have a vafc also? If you do I can see why you would set it a little lower, but if you dont the whole point of shifting right at redline or a shortly after is to stay in vtec after the shift.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have a 6 Stage shift light. I Set the lights to light up accordingly to my VAFC. Basically I have no use for my RPM gauge.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts