1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I wrecke my Lude sunday morning :(

Story:
http://www.preludeonline.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=119620

I called the body shop that it's at and the damage total is somewhere around $9,000 so far. And he said they haven't even lifted it to look underneath it yet!

I've come to the conclusion that it would be in my best interest for the car to be totalled. It's a 97' SS with ~78,000 miles.

So my questions are as follows:

I was sure it was totalled until the Insurance guy called me and asked what I paid for the car. He was surprised it cost so much, but it was 3 years ago and I don't understand why he wanted to know what I bought it for.

Don't they go by the current blue book?

Also, I have thousands in body work and parts and they wanted to know the cost of everything.

So will that increase the value of my car? Cause I really don't want it to be repaired and be stuck with a wrecked title :mad:

It's also an SS and I hope I get a settlement and can buy an 5spd!

Does anyone have experience with dealing with insurance companies. I want to get the most out of my settlement as possible if it's deemed totaled.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Well if the car is fixed, the title will be clean I think..?

I wouldnt want the car, its going to take forever for it to get fixed, and you could have problems later on..

also the car wouldnt be the same after a wreck like that... mentally

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
^^ Once a car has been repaired for damages over I believe $5000 the car has a salvaged title which isnt good at all when it comes time to sell it. I would maybe just try talking with the insurance co. and see if they can just give you the money it would take to repair it and put it towards a new car. I'm pretty sure that you can decide whether or not to repair the car or not.

·
Registered
385 Posts
^^^^^ look at what CTPrelude has to say that would be your bet on getting a new car. I know i wouldnt want to be stuck with that ride after what happened to it.

If its cheap enough just get the stuff together that would be easy for a trade in... maybe like a used bumper and what not... bubble gum your car together so when you take it in you'll get alittle more then nothing on it :)

·
Offtrack excursion expert
6,762 Posts
A totalled car is never good. :nono:

My car has been banged up many times, but never close to being totalled.

I would try to salvage what mods you can from the wreck... your not going to get much from the insurance company from them, maybe if you have reciepts it might help.

My suggestion, as well, is to get something else.

·
Premium Member
4,089 Posts
^^ :laugh: :bigthumb: :laugh: :twitch: :nono: ;) :p

if it's even close to bein totalled, then I'd try my best to get rid of it....meaning, see if you can get the ins. co to total it an get a new car....but like I said in the other thread....can you get any of the parts off of it first?

·
THE LONELY MONK
6,005 Posts
I think they'll just considered it totalled and pay you bluebook.

--Sam

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As for getting parts, my kit was demolished to say the least. I don't know what damage was done to my Evo or my header. I'll for sure be getting my vafc and pulleys out.

I'll have to see if my suspension parts were damaged.

So you think if it isn't totalled I can convince the insurance co. to just give me the money it would take to fix it?

I have my reciepts and added up the mods I've done and its over 4 g's. I don't think they'd wanna pay for those :shrug:

·
Registered
8 Posts
i just crashed my 96 Prelude recently, got up to 7,800 in damages and i convinced them to fix my car and now it looks better than i got it. No clue what insurance companies are like in OR though so best of luck. Get anything out of that car asap of what you want before its totalled and gone because they will take it all and you will have no option of getting it back.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Insurance companies base whether or not total vehicle based on blue book value. Usually within $2k-$3k of blue book they will just total it. As far as the non stock stuff, usually insurance companies will only pay to fix a car back to stock form unless you have that stuff covered under your insurance.
With that much damage you would be better off totaling the car and getting something else.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts