Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lowered my car with Tein. H Techs, which is a smaller drop than the S Techs.
I also put on 205/40 on 16in rims recently.

It seems like im bottoming out on every driveway / speed bump that I encounter.

My front tires can go over the speed bump perfectly, but as soon as the bump is right under the middle of my car, I hear scraping. I don't know whats being hit. Same thing goes for ramps, my front bumper does not scratch at all but when I'm about half way up the ramp, CHHSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHERRRRRAHH! Guess I can't describe the sound with words. Lol.

I also have a CEL due to either a bad cat or o2 sensor, is it possible that I've damage the cat to bring the CEL on?

Also, I'm using stock struts that are the OEM ones that came with the lude originally and the car is at 60,000k miles. Would brand new struts raise the car? If so, for how long?

·
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast
1,384 Posts
If you're too low, the exhaust will eventually come out of the hangers and scrape over everything. Even if it hasnt come out of the hangers yet, I guarantee you it's still your exhaust scraping.

·
you can do EEEEET!
2,394 Posts
with springs I can guarentee your not THAT low. Maybe you need some new shocks.

·
Pimp Member
3,949 Posts
Need to learn how to drive with a lowered car. Of course if you're going up and down driveways or over big speed bumps, you're going to scrap the bottom of your car. When you go over speed bumps, you need to take them at an angle instead of straight on. You'll still scrap, but at least you won't risk messing up your bumper. As for driveways, there's really nothing you can do going up and down steep ones.

·
Registered
3,337 Posts
well your new tires are 1.6 inches smaller (22.5 diameter) in diameter than the stock (24.1) size. that in addition to your drop (probably 1 inch) and you are dropped pretty good. i would say it is your exhaust scrapping.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
well all he bought was springs and is still rockin those soft stock shocks, thats why your only bottoming out in the middle cause your wheel gets over the speed bump and the car bounces and scrapes.

·
BB6 S3X
515 Posts
I bottomed out today for my first time. Driving on this old navy base and its sooo bumpy. Scraped the crap out the bottom of my car lol. Just take it alot more careful and slower. You'll get use to it.

·
herbivore
1,579 Posts
I'm on Tein H-tech springs w/ KYB GR2 shocks. Though I have not lip-kit or aftermarket exhaust, on stock sized tires I barely ever scrape. I say go back to stock tire size, or if you really want that low-profile tire look, move up to a set of 17s.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
The most common part of my car that scrapes is the exhaust. I have my car slammed on KYB AGX struts with Skunk2 coils, and I rarely scrape the front of my car.

Most likely, it is your exhaust.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Look under your car at your exhaust... right in the middle you'll see a cylindrical object, that is your resonator. Look at that piece closely and I guarantee it's all scraped up, that's the piece that is rubbing.
Can I raise that piece? Or is raising my cars with tires/struts/springs the right answer?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Shocks won't do anything in terms of ride height man. Either get a thicker tire and/or new springs, or really angle your car when you drive over steep curbs and speed bumps as others have mentioned already.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
The most common part of my car that scrapes is the exhaust. I have my car slammed on KYB AGX struts with Skunk2 coils, and I rarely scrape the front of my car.

Most likely, it is your exhaust.
Spring rate effects how much your car will move vertically, so it is less a problem with your stiffer springs vs. his mushy ass springs.

OP I think everyone is correct in saying that you could change your tires to stock size to fix the problem.

Some struts do have adjustable perch height, but I dont think any of the setting will be higher than oem perch height.

If I were you I'd probably get coilovers so that you can always get the right amount of drop.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
im running 205/40-16 now.
stock is 205/50 i believe and i have tein h techs springs on which has a drop of 0.7in.

if i were to go back to stock size, will my tire rub the fender??

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
im running 205/40-16 now.
stock is 205/50 i believe and i have tein h techs springs on which has a drop of 0.7in.

if i were to go back to stock size, will my tire rub the fender??
NO. It's the stock size! It's meant to be on the car. Now go get it fixed.

·
BB6 S3X
515 Posts
Shocks won't do anything in terms of ride height man. Either get a thicker tire and/or new springs, or really angle your car when you drive over steep curbs and speed bumps as others have mentioned already.
Ill have to say thats not entirely true when the shock is adjustable. On my kyb agx's i had a one finger gap in the front on a stiffer setting. I made them softer...lowered to a zero gap. Only true for adjustables though id imagine

·
Premium Member
4,306 Posts
Ill have to say thats not entirely true when the shock is adjustable. On my kyb agx's i had a one finger gap in the front on a stiffer setting. I made them softer...lowered to a zero gap. Only true for adjustables though id imagine
I have KYB AGX's as well. No matter what DAMPENING setting I choose, the car stays at exactly the same height.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts