Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 9 months ago I lost my one and only key I recieved with my car, the black master key. So I went to the dealership and had the immobilzer system replaced. Set me back a lil but this time I recieved one black key and the red learning key. The service manager explained that all I would need is the red key to have more keys made. Well I made the same mistake and lost my keys the other day but I thought, hey, I have the red key, no problem. WRONG! I had my car towed to honda becuase they explained that to make more keys the car would have to be there. No problem, I have free towing. Got a call today and they said to make more keys you have to have the red key, AND another black key and I would have to spend the $600 plus to get another immobilzer system installed! I asked to speak to the manager and told him how I had gone through this before and how I was told all I would need is the red learning key. I told him I felt I was being lied too and if the car really does need a immobolizer system that the dealership should pay for it since I was told the red key could make more keys. His response was no, if you want to drive your car off the lot you have to pay, if not, get it towed by tomarrow. Has ANYONE ever gone through this before???? Please help me out, I'm against a rock and a hard place. I dont have any money to pay for a new immobolizer and now I dont have a car!

·
Super Moderator
3,007 Posts
Yup... using the red key in your car is a :nono: I had to sign a waiver indicating that my salesman advised me of this and I acknowledge it.

My suggestion... STOP LOOSING YOUR KEYS.

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
http://www.surreyhonda.com/faq_antitheft.htm

now quit losing your damned keys.

on a side note, you'd think the first $600 unit would kind of hammer the "don't lose your keys" point home. I would highly advise getting more then one copy made this time around.

EDIT: I'm not 100% sure that FAQ is correct. I've seen emergency starting procedures that allow for immobilizer bypass, long as you have your VIN. call some other dealers. but it's looking like you're screwed.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Keith said:
Yup... using the red key in your car is a :nono: I had to sign a waiver indicating that my salesman advised me of this and I acknowledge it.

My suggestion... STOP LOOSING YOUR KEYS.
I dont think he was using the red key for daily driving. I think he lost his black key and still has the red key to make a new copy. I thought the same thing, that all you needed to make another key was the red one. Whats the point of the red key if you have to have a black key as well?

·
On the 2nd Prelude
1,757 Posts
from what I've read in the last ten minutes or so, it seems like the red key only puts the IU into "learn" mose. the actual access codes are stored on the black keys. so to get a new key made, you bring your keys in, they trigger the learn sequence with the red key, then reprogram ALL your black keys at once.

it's really confusing actually.

·
Super Moderator
3,007 Posts
Well, in order for them to make an extra key, all the keys have to be present. A maximum of 5 keys can exist per immobilizer system (I have 2 blacks, 1 grey, 1 red).

·
Registered
661 Posts
I bought my car used and I only got the Black Key, so that means if i lose my one key im screwed?

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
lol hahaha...you guys are funny.....but when i got my lude...i only got 2 keys with it..1 black and one red....i went to honda and they made me a new black one...but get this...they didnt need the red key or the car there they just did it...when i went home i put the new one in and it started it up....

·
Premium Member
641 Posts
Keith said:
Well, in order for them to make an extra key, all the keys have to be present. A maximum of 5 keys can exist per immobilizer system (I have 2 blacks, 1 grey, 1 red).
okay i bought the car used, and i think i have them all too..but what does the grey one do? vallet parking? and what do the red ones do? wat do you mean its a learning key?

·
my cat's name is mittens
479 Posts
if i never got my red key becuz i bought my car used...what can i do?

i recently lost one of my master keys but i still got one left and i think 1 or 2 valet keys

·
Registered
784 Posts
oinkus said:
if i never got my red key becuz i bought my car used...what can i do?

i recently lost one of my master keys but i still got one left and i think 1 or 2 valet keys
My suggestion: make yourself couple of backup master keys before Honda screws you over with the Immobolizer system :laugh:

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
Ok,

What is going on is that the dealer only has the Honda T5 keys available to him (for what ever reason).

The T5 keys are the ones that can be used to copy an original Prelude key. (It's got some type of one time programmable chip in it. They copy your original keys by reading the code in the original key, and saving it to the new T5 key.)

Anyway, what they need to do is order you a friggen original issue Prelude key. (NOT A T5 KEY)

Then, they cut the key to your car using the car's iginition switch key code, and (using the red key and a Honda PGM tester) they program the car to know to start with the new key.

It sounds to me like the dealer is giving you som bullsh#t about needing a new ICU/Redkey kit because they can't get off their asses and order you the original pre-coded black key blank that you need.

I'd call another Honda dealer or 2 and see if any of them have a NON-T5 key blank for a Honda Prelude.

If so, then you go back to the dealer and tell them to cut that blank to your car's key code, and program the friggen car to work with the new key.

THEN YOU SPEND $25.00 AND HAVE THEM COPY THE NON-T5 KEY WITH A T5 KEY SO YOU DON'T KEEP GETTING SCREWED!!!!

Oh, another possibility is that if you know another Prelude owner (5th Gen), you can get one of their keys, have them cut a T5 key to the key code for your car, and program it with the info from the other Prleude's key. The the T5 key would now have a code in it that the Red key can be used to teach the car to start with.

Gerhard

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
UPDATE

I just spoke with my local dealer.

They tell me that you can still buy a NON-T5 key blank.

This means that dealer you are dealing with is simply trying to rip you off.

Gerhard

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah something is wrong. When I bought my car I only got one black key so 2 days ago I went to my Honda dealer, took in my VIN and had them make me a new key. They copied the computer chip off of my black key and I was on my way.... Cost me $30.

·
Nuke'em til they glow!
1,740 Posts
nickw252 said:
Yeah something is wrong. When I bought my car I only got one black key so 2 days ago I went to my Honda dealer, took in my VIN and had them make me a new key. They copied the computer chip off of my black key and I was on my way.... Cost me $30.
Well,

What happened to him is that he LOST his keys.

Because he lost his key he doesn't have any of the keys the 5th Gen knows that are allowed to start the car.

So, he needs a new black OEM key that already has a key code stored in it.

The T5 keys that most dealers stock are blank (without a key code). So as in your case, they can just copy the key and the key code stored within.

In his case, he needs a new OEM key blank that already has a keycode so they can program the car with the Red key and tell it to start with the new OEM key.

I called my local dealer and they've got tons of the older non-T5 key system blanks. (The ones that come with a code in them.)

So I KNOW this dealer is simply trying to screw the guy. They can order a key for $25.00 that has a key code.

A-s-s-h-o-l-e-s

Gerhard

1 - 16 of 16 Posts