Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for the past month or so i have been looking into buying a 5th gen prelude. I have been reading reviews and other things about them. Many people seem to think its a good car. Being that its a Honda i assume its going to be a rather reliable car but in doing my research ive come across multiple reviews of problems with shifting and the tranny. So basicly my question is...what do you guys think? Im trying to get a pretty fast car but one that doesnt require alot of maintenance because once i buy this car im limited on spending cash. Because if the grinding and tranny problems are common im not sure if i would like to sink my money into a car that i may have to sink more money into. Also if you know of an other problems 5th gen preludes have that are pretty common if you could please let me know about them. Im going to base my choice of what you guys think of them and their problems.

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
I'd buy a 99 up base model 5 speed if I was in the market, least amount of problems of all the models. They're all good cars but the Auto's are the ones that have issues with their transmissions and although most had no issues with their ATTS in the SH it can be a nusiance when modding. I had some issues with it but they were minor over the course of 130k it was in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i dont plan on beating on it. Every now and then id most likely let it loose and get it up there in high speeds...mostly on a track but i tend to keep it stock for the most part. As for the track its mostly to race a few buddy's of mine...we have a small track near where i live where you can pay a small fee and do a little racing...but other then that i dont plan on beating on it like ive seen in some videos while doing some research

·
Registered
98 Posts
There are issues you might run into when having a lude. But for the most part it is basic maintenance. I mean the 5th gear grind most of the time is a synchro (not very expensive fix) or you can just rev match while shifting to 5th n WAALAA.

-1st gear might be hard to get into if the car has 150k+ on it. but just shift 2nd then 1st or blip the throttle into 1st. Alot of hondas tend to have that prob with age (possible synchro as well) and higher clamp load of new clutch kits being installed make it more difficult.
-Burning some oil if the engine has high miles on it (100-30+k)
-oil cooler seal tends to go.
ummmm other than that I cant think of any other major well known prob that occur to ludes unless they havent happened to me yet. Just take care of it man, its a great car.
Hopefully you get it man, you wont regret it. Just search out a well maintained one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmmm...oil leak....i always laugh at ppl when i see them trying to show off in a car that shoots out black smoke from the exhaust...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
black smoke is caused by burning oil? atleast thats what ive always assumed...and had heard? perhaps i just took the leak a little too far and assumed the worse

1 - 9 of 9 Posts