Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is a good price for a plain jane keyless entry system? I did a search, and everyone recommends just getting an alarm that will include remote locks, but I just want the keyless entry feature. Preferrably one without a panic button... i hate those things.

Basically I just want something cheap that won't break in a month. I'm not concerned with security, but I'll probably upgrade to some sort of security system after I graduate from college and have more income. I think my ideal one would be something like this. I just want something with lock/unlock/trunk. I like the "flash lights" button on that one, its much nicer than those panic buttons that people hit on purpose and drive everyone crazy.

Any recommendations? I would like to get a cheap one and install it myself.

·
...under an umbrella
1,489 Posts
If you're gonna upgrade in the future anyway, why are you wasting your money with a temporary one? That money could be used towards a proper alarm.

Didn't your lude come with the keyless entry feature when you bought it?

If not, why not buy a used one off a luder who has replaced theirs with an alarm?

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it used, no keyless entry. I'm trying to pay the car off this summer and get rid of my credit card debt before I spend anymore money on the car. I can justify $30, but not $400+ right now.

·
...under an umbrella
1,489 Posts
I wonder what year Honda started putting keyless entry systems on 5th gens? Mine's a 00 and it came with one.

The only thing with the OEM one is that the lights don't flash nor does the horn sound when armed and disarmed. Also there is no option button to hook up a power trunk release (which btw will run you $30 from ha.com)

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
gioe said:
I wonder what year Honda started putting keyless entry systems on 5th gens? Mine's a 00 and it came with one.

The only thing with the OEM one is that the lights don't flash nor does the horn sound when armed and disarmed. Also there is no option button to hook up a power trunk release (which btw will run you $30 from ha.com)
i came wit it in 99.

joe, if you have like a hundred bucks you can get like a hornet that has keyless entry and alarm, but thats if you can get one that cheap. up here in des moines, i got a remote start and keyless entry for 100 bucks installed b4 winter kicked it, it was that or have an alarm and keyless entry

·
Registered
335 Posts
JoeW said:
What is a good price for a plain jane keyless entry system? I did a search, and everyone recommends just getting an alarm that will include remote locks, but I just want the keyless entry feature. Preferrably one without a panic button... i hate those things.

Basically I just want something cheap that won't break in a month. I'm not concerned with security, but I'll probably upgrade to some sort of security system after I graduate from college and have more income. I think my ideal one would be something like this. I just want something with lock/unlock/trunk. I like the "flash lights" button on that one, its much nicer than those panic buttons that people hit on purpose and drive everyone crazy.

Any recommendations? I would like to get a cheap one and install it myself.

I want exactly the same thing as you do.... let me know when you have found something. Preferably something less than $30. ;)

·
Premium Member
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For a trunk popper, does anyone know if something like this would work? Its universal and comes with the actuator and wiring, but I'm not sure if it would work with a remote keyless entry trunk button...

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
those actuaters are pretty big
you'd be better off with an accord trunk popper it will look more OEM
u get what u pay for and personaly i wouldnt pay 30 dollers for keyless entry
just somethings i wouldnt trust with some bulldog brand from pepboys and highly doubht they would have an extra channel for anything

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
apocalypse said:
those actuaters are pretty big
you'd be better off with an accord trunk popper it will look more OEM
u get what u pay for and personaly i wouldnt pay 30 dollers for keyless entry
just somethings i wouldnt trust with some bulldog brand from pepboys and highly doubht they would have an extra channel for anything

yea..for 30 bucks i wouldnt waste my time either. oh, when i said mine was a hornet it was actually a dei..(same brand :D ) and works like a charm, cept i think i need a new battery since rangeing is startin to suck

·
...under an umbrella
1,489 Posts
Yeah, the thing with generic trunk poppers or solenoids is trunk placement. They look out of place. For a few bucks more, you're better off getting the Accord trunk popper.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts