Honda Prelude Online banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CEL, code 61. Primary o2 sensor. I just got my car back like 5 days ago from HONDA for a CEL. WTF does this mean? Bad o2 sensor? Should i just reset my computer and see what happens? Damn this car.....

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ahh, ok. I have about 29,200 on my Lude. My warranty is trashed. SO $170 it is..... Damn
Thanks for the info man. What would cause it to go bad?

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 2kLuder:
ahh, ok. I have about 29,200 on my Lude. My warranty is trashed. SO $170 it is..... Damn
Thanks for the info man. What would cause it to go bad?
</font>
Don't you have a model-year 2000 Prelude ("2k" luder)? Why would your warranty be up if you've only got 29k on the car? 3yr/36k is the factory warranty.

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
&quot;PO Doc&quot;
1,484 Posts
Where did you get a price of $170? I had several check engine lights during this winter, and the dealer traced it to the primary O2 sensor. I was quoted a price of $250 just for the part. Now that it has warmed up, the car is running a lot better, and no more check engine lights.

Neel

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JMCN: Well my dealer is not at all tolerant with MODS to the car. I know its illegal to just flat out VOID a warranty but I just dont feel like fightin them. Yes, its a 2000.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I got a 2000 Base too and I got a CEL code 61 last night. I had gotten it before and just reset the car, and it went away. Now that it has returned, I dont know if i just want to ignore it and continue on. 61 is supposed to be for Oxygen Sensor Heated Sensor 1 Primary, High Voltage "Low Voltage or Slow Response". I was told there are two O2 sensors on the 5th Gen on sensor 1 on the intake or on the cat, but I don't know which one the CEL is referring to. I just want to make sure I get the right part.

Does anyone know how long the computer needs to see a problem before it will put up the CEL for situations like this?

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
I got a 2000 Base too and I got a CEL code 61 last night. I had gotten it before and just reset the car, and it went away. Now that it has returned, I dont know if i just want to ignore it and continue on. 61 is supposed to be for Oxygen Sensor Heated Sensor 1 Primary, High Voltage "Low Voltage or Slow Response". I was told there are two O2 sensors on the 5th Gen on sensor 1 on the intake or on the cat, but I don't know which one the CEL is referring to. I just want to make sure I get the right part.

Does anyone know how long the computer needs to see a problem before it will put up the CEL for situations like this?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I wouldnt worry about it too much. I have gotten the same code and have just reset my ecu every time it comes back on. I have been doing this for about 5 months and nothing is abnormal. It usually only comes on about once a month for me. The worst thing that can happen is your gas mileage will start to go down the tube. I cant justify spending that much money on something that isnt affecting my car.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
Is everyone getting this CEL??? I just got this 5 minutes ago.
Probable causes from the Helm for those that care.
  • Primary HO2S (Sensor 1) Deterioration
  • Primary HO2S Heater (Sensor 1) Deterioration
  • Exhaust system leakage

·
&quot;PO Doc&quot;
1,484 Posts
Ray,

I experience the same periodic code that CTPRELUDE receives. The only symptoms I have noticed are horrendous gas mileage (at best 280miles per tank on highway driving) and running very rich (black exhaust and failed Cat. conv.) I am not sure it warrants replacement yet, but I may do it with teh cap/rotor at 90k.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
nmehta211 said:
Ray,

I experience the same periodic code that CTPRELUDE receives. The only symptoms I have noticed are horrendous gas mileage (at best 280miles per tank on highway driving) and running very rich (black exhaust and failed Cat. conv.) I am not sure it warrants replacement yet, but I may do it with teh cap/rotor at 90k.
I think I may have a leak somewhere ahead of the O2 sensor which only leaves the gasket between the head and the primaries and the gasket between the primaries and the secondaries. If it's not one of those then it may be the flex pipe on the new header. For now I just pulled the fuse to get rid of the CEL. I don't think this is my cat since that's after the O2 sensor.

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
i have a leak and its right before the O2 Sensor on the hi flow cat i have...so i get that CEL once in a while...

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I have been gettin this code for quite some time now, but its not affecting my gas mileage so i dont think that its actually bad. I just keep resetting my ecu and im fine.

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Ok, I just played it safe and got a Primary O2 sensor for the CEL code 61 and I've been doing some looking around and stuff to see exactly how many O2 sensors this damn car has and where they are at. My O2 sensor arrived today, but my Helms manual won't for another 3 days. I got that CEL code 61 still lit and I just have a question for you guys.....How many O2 sensors does the 5th Gen have and where are they? Ive been told that there are 2-3 (no one tells me the same thing) 1. intake manifold. 2. just before cat 3. just after the cat. I just wanted to hear it from you guys and since I dont have my Helms yet, I can't verify any of this.

·
*yawn*
13,632 Posts
Juicer747 said:
Ok, I just played it safe and got a Primary O2 sensor for the CEL code 61 and I've been doing some looking around and stuff to see exactly how many O2 sensors this damn car has and where they are at. My O2 sensor arrived today, but my Helms manual won't for another 3 days. I got that CEL code 61 still lit and I just have a question for you guys.....How many O2 sensors does the 5th Gen have and where are they? Ive been told that there are 2-3 (no one tells me the same thing) 1. intake manifold. 2. just before cat 3. just after the cat. I just wanted to hear it from you guys and since I dont have my Helms yet, I can't verify any of this.
2 of them.
  1. On the downpipe of the header just before the cat
  2. On that cat itself.
You can't miss them if you're under the car.

·
Theoretical Physicist
3,621 Posts
Anytime I use Sunoco "Ultra 94" octane gas, I get the CEL for "Primary O2 sensor slow to respond". It took me a while to figure out the correlation between the gas and the cel, so I had bought another O2 sensor. After I got it, I figured out that the fuel was the problem, and I did not need it. Anyone want it? It is a used primary O2 sensor from a 2001 Prelude SH that was totaled at 5000mi. It is complete with wire harness and pretty clean looking... Offers?

Andrew

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
Ok, put on the new one and reset the CEL. See how things go. I dont know if the O2 sensor was really the problem, but when I pulled the old one out it was covered in carbon (as to be expected), but in good physical shape. I did see both O2 sensors fore and aft of the cat. Word to those out there tho...I got an NJK sensor from p a r t s b i n . c o m and they said that both O2 sensors used the same part. The only problem that I saw to this was the way that the fore and aft sensor mount to the frame. The sensors may be identical, but the mounting hardware is different. The aft one has mounting clips on the sensor wire, but the forward one snaps into clips that are already on the body. Had to rig up some nylon ties to ensure that the sensor cable didnt come too close to the exhaust flex cable.

Thanks for all your guys help and input....we'll see if the CEL stays off.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts