Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Thanks a million o0OO0o!

Anyone have any comments? Once again, my mods are i/h/e and a 30k mill. Once I get my JUN cams installed, I'm going to dyno my car again, so you can all see what difference the cams make.

LLL

[This message has been edited by LudesLudesLudes (edited April 19, 2001).]

G

·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LudesLudesLudes:
Thanks a million o0OO0o!

Anyone have any comments? Once again, my mods are i/h/e and a 30k mill.

LLL
</font>
30k mill? You mean the head is milled 30 thousandths?

Not bad at all. A VAFC would help get rid of that hump in the torque and hp.

Looks good. I don't care for the way the torque falls off so quickly, but every H22 I have seen is like that. If we could flatten the torque curve out to 6500 rpms, we would make huge power.

------------------
Billy
North Texas Prelude Owners Group
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
30k mill? You mean the head is milled 30 thousandths?

Not bad at all. A VAFC would help get rid of that hump in the torque and hp.

Looks good. I don't care for the way the torque falls off so quickly, but every H22 I have seen is like that. If we could flatten the torque curve out to 6500 rpms, we would make huge power.

</font>
Yeah, I meant that the head is milled 30 thousandths. Also, I just wanted to ask you why some of the other preludes with type-s cams and bolt-ons only make around the same power as my car, with less torque - is that because of the head milling? How much do you think a 30k mill would increase static compression by? Also, how much do stock h22 motors usually put out?

Thanks,
LLL

G

·
Yeah, I meant that the head is milled 30 thousandths. Also, I just wanted to ask you why some of the other preludes with type-s cams and bolt-ons only make around the same power as my car, with less torque - is that because of the head milling? How much do you think a 30k mill would increase static compression by? Also, how much do stock h22 motors usually put out?

Thanks,
LLL

</font>
You have probably raised static compression by close to one point. Maybe a bit less than one point, but very close. You're probably running 10.7:1 to 10.9:1. A point increase is worth about 3% or 6 hp on a 200 hp engine.

Also, if you're running stock cam gears, your cam timing is retarded a bit, which helps torque, and lowers the power peak. I noticed you hit your power peak a bit lower than most 5Gens. That's because of the cam timing.

For comparison:

Here are my OLD plots.

See how we both hit our power peaks above 7k? You hit yours below 7k. You are also hitting your torque peak lower as well.

Also, the compression increase increase torque and power equally across the RPM range.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
810 Posts
71dsp:

Thanks for the help. You really know your stuff

I forgot to mention that my motor is a jdm motor - so would that put me near 11.5:1 compression? I can't remember exactly, but I think you said that a stock usdm h22 usually puts out about 155, so would that mean that I picked up about 8-9 whp from the higher compression, and the rest from bolt ons? Also, realistically how much do you think I will pick up from a good set of cams? I have the JUN ones on order, but JUN USA keeps delaying the release date. I also have a J&S safeguard to protect my motor.

Thanks,
LLL

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
71dsp:

I forgot to mention that my motor is a jdm motor - so would that put me near 11.5:1 compression? I can't remember exactly, but I think you said that a stock usdm h22 usually puts out about 155, so would that mean that I picked up about 8-9 whp from the higher compression, and the rest from bolt ons? Also, realistically how much do you think I will pick up from a good set of cams? I have the JUN ones on order, but JUN USA keeps delaying the release date. I also have a J&S safeguard to protect my motor.

Thanks,
LLL
</font>
yeah seems like you should got way more power, the base model/non sh lude's dyno at 159/160 hp stock...hmmm seems low

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Thanks a million o0OO0o!

Anyone have any comments? Once again, my mods are i/h/e and a 30k mill. Once I get my JUN cams installed, I'm going to dyno my car again, so you can all see what difference the cams make.

LLL

</font>
woah. thats your dyno from just i/h/e??
what intake? what header? what exhaust?

G

·
71dsp:

Thanks,
LLL
</font>
Yeah, having a JDM engine really helped you. Are you running a 5Gen ECU or a JDM ECU?

The compression also helps.

I don't know anything about JUN cams, so I won't say a thing about them. I am not going to use them, though.

------------------
Billy
www.ntpog.org

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 71dsp:
Yeah, having a JDM engine really helped you. Are you running a 5Gen ECU or a JDM ECU?

The compression also helps.

I don't know anything about JUN cams, so I won't say a thing about them. I am not going to use them, though.

</font>
71dsp: I'm running a jdm ecu - jeff over at atomic performance actually imported the front half of the car over here, and I got to see that the mileage was only 40,000.

Also, I just wanted to confirm with you that a stock usdm puts out around 150-155. Is that correct?

LLL

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
there are a lot of stock dynos out there; a 99+ 5th gen with a stick (sh or base but not SS) seems to put out between 160 and 165. i've seen a couple in the high 160s, a few in the high 150s, but i'd sat the average is low 150s. the older 5th gens put out a couple less.

71dsp: I'm running a jdm ecu - jeff over at atomic performance actually imported the front half of the car over here, and I got to see that the mileage was only 40,000.

Also, I just wanted to confirm with you that a stock usdm puts out around 150-155. Is that correct?

LLL

</font>

·
Registered
810 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by 99Prelude_LC:
yeah seems like you should got way more power, the base model/non sh lude's dyno at 159/160 hp stock...hmmm seems low</font>
More power? I think stock usdm motors average 150-155 or so. That means my jdm picked up somewhere around 22-27 wheel horsepower from bolt-ons and a higher compression ratio.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
stock USDM motors definitely don't average 150-155. it's fairly hard to find stock dynos, but most of the 97s i've seen are like 155-160 and most of the newer ones are 160-165.

More power? I think stock usdm motors average 150-155 or so. That means my jdm picked up somewhere around 22-27 wheel horsepower from bolt-ons and a higher compression ratio.</font>

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by schwett:
stock USDM motors definitely don't average 150-155. it's fairly hard to find stock dynos, but most of the 97s i've seen are like 155-160 and most of the newer ones are 160-165.

</font>
ditto, it seems you picked up 7-8 hp, which is standard with bolt ons if u have good ones, but you're higher compression isn't accounted for. its not bad or anything, you hit the peak earlier and such, it just doesn't seem "optimum". I think an air/fuel controller will help a whooole lot with your set up.

·
used to sell mix tapes
5,446 Posts
here's a stock 97. the 99 and later (or was it 98 and later?) have a couple more hp due to a less restrictive header and/or exhaust :

your numbers of 177 and 150 are damn good, if you ask me! the curve looks a bit different than most h22a dynos i've seen tho, probably on account of it being a milled jdm engine.

More power? I think stock usdm motors average 150-155 or so. That means my jdm picked up somewhere around 22-27 wheel horsepower from bolt-ons and a higher compression ratio.</font>

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
LLL: My sincerest apologies, i need new contacts. I thought that 16x number on the dyno was your peak!! your numbers are very impressive. You're right on par I believe with your current set up. ignore my previous posts, air fuel controller would help though
Very nice, sorry for my retardness!

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
Yeah, here's my 2000 base bone stock at 15000mi... And it's a 5th gen with OBD2...

Actual:
HP = 171.4hp Torque = 144 .7lb.ft.

SAE Corrected:
HP = 162.8hp Torque = 137.5 lb.ft.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by aklucsarits (edited April 19, 2001).]

·
Registered
810 Posts
71dsp:

What's your take on how much a stock usdm puts down? 155? 160? more? All of us seem to have different numbers. Since most of us here are your loyal followers, we look to you for the gospel

LLL

p.s. - sorry o0OO0o for the mistake I made earlier.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
p.s. - sorry o0OO0o for the mistake I made earlier.</font>
that was terrible! how dare you for calling me "malken"!!

nah it's all cool.

·
Registered
44 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by o0OO0o:
Originally posted by LudesLudesLudes:
p.s. - sorry o0OO0o for the mistake I made earlier.</font>
that was terrible! how dare you for calling me "malken"!!

nah it's all cool.
you better watch what you say LLL cuz o0OO0o has it out for you

1 - 20 of 22 Posts