Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Boost Withdrawl... :(
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List the reasons why a motor can go boom with NItrous, obviously too lean we all know....i read around and i see these horror stories of people blowing their motors left and right...just wanted to know some of the reasons

·
Registered
724 Posts
Way to much nitrous is the most obvious one. Spray a 200 shot, even if you do have a good A/F ratio, motor is gonna go bye bye. Detonation can kill a motor, caused by fuel not having a high enough octane rating, or brom the timing being off. Just a couple to think about.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Of course if you don't have a healthy engine to begin with... you're gonna have issues....

·
Registered
748 Posts
ShupaLude said:
how do you kno if an engines healthy?
You perform a compression check..

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
1. Too much Nitrous and not enough fuel (ie. running lean)
2. Creating more pressure in the block than the block can hold (ie. blowing headgasket, bending rod, dropping a valve)
That's it.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Uneven distribution.
Improper Installation.
Possibly, too cold weather
Too high bottle pressure

·
Registered
722 Posts
My friend lost compression in cyl. 3 after shifting from 2nd to 1st while spraying. So missing a shift = boom.

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
bkw97lude said:
My friend lost compression in cyl. 3 after shifting from 2nd to 1st while spraying. So missing a shift = boom.
He probably hit the fuel cut, which is why window switches are nice. That falls under my #1 reason.

·
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
whats a window switch and im thinking i should install this when i get a nitrous system???

also what does a fuel pressure safety switch do??(i think thats what its called?)

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
A window switch is an MSD accesory and is turns on an accesory, such as a nitrous kit, between a given rpm range. A fuel pressure switch shuts off the nitrous if your fuel pressure gets too low.

·
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so is there anything that would prevent a motor from going boom if you hit fuel cutoff? or something else like that?

·
Premium Member
3,908 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
so is there anything that would prevent a motor from going boom if you hit fuel cutoff? or something else like that?
a window switch will cut you solenoids when you hit a certain rpm (IE fuel cut)

·
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so it would be a high priority item to get along with your nitrous system huh?

·
Premium Member
3,069 Posts
MugenPoweredLude said:
so it would be a high priority item to get along with your nitrous system huh?
Or just be really careful when you shift. Personally I'm not running one although they are a good idea.

·
6,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
does NX make a window switch to go along with their wet kits???

so im guessing that if youre tuned right on the bottle and have the right timing(if needed) and the right plugs and the safety precautions(window switch and such) that you shouldnt have any problems with a nitrous setup? i.e., no blown motor??? or is there more to it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts