Honda Prelude Online banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When your car is in limp/safety mode is the engine light on or off?

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

·
Premium Member
3,621 Posts
The engine light could be on or off. It works just like when your car is cold. You would have no VTEC, and the fuel would cut out at like 6500rpm...

Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmmm, anything else I should look for besides that fuel cut off and sluggish throttle? If I was in neutral and rev'd it would the rpm's still climb slowly or is it only like that when the car is in gear?

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
If you're in limp mode the light should be on. You can have problems and not have a CEL, or have a CEL and not be in limp mode, but when in limp mode you should have a light- the computer is telling you something is VERY wrong. It will do everything it can to work around a problem before it gives up.

If you have a problem with throttle response in neutral you need to take it in. You might not be in limp mode but have horrible performance nonetheless.

Is this all still related to the AFC install? It sounds like you've seriously hosed up something. The O2 shouldn't affect throttle response. W/O it, or a bad one, you should get a light and be in limp mode. While performance won't be great, it should be moderately close to normal when cold- like mentioned, no VTEC, etc., but you shouldn't be lacking too much power.

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by marcucci:
If you're in limp mode the light should be on. You can have problems and not have a CEL, or have a CEL and not be in limp mode, but when in limp mode you should have a light- the computer is telling you something is VERY wrong. It will do everything it can to work around a problem before it gives up.

If you have a problem with throttle response in neutral you need to take it in. You might not be in limp mode but have horrible performance nonetheless.

Is this all still related to the AFC install? It sounds like you've seriously hosed up something. The O2 shouldn't affect throttle response. W/O it, or a bad one, you should get a light and be in limp mode. While performance won't be great, it should be moderately close to normal when cold- like mentioned, no VTEC, etc., but you shouldn't be lacking too much power.
</font>
OH NO man........
I'm fine. I'm just checking. The VAFC's all done. See this http://honda-acura.net/forum/Forum20/HTML/010750.html

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Congrats. OK, so what do you mean "just checking?!" Are you still having probs? If you are in limp mode you should have a CEL. If you don't then you're not in limp.</font>
No CEL at all. I just wanted to know so that in the future should some problem pop up I would know what's going on. Know what I mean? Who's to say the VAFC won't or will mess me up over time or not.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited May 01, 2001).]

·
Premium Member
9,091 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Joon525:
No CEL at all. I just wanted to know so that in the future should some problem pop up I would know what's going on. Know what I mean? Who's to say the VAFC won't or will mess me up over time or not.

[This message has been edited by Joon525 (edited May 01, 2001).]
</font>
Shouldn't. Hasn't messed me up yet. You shouldn't adjust your fuel trim too wild, but provided all your connections are tight and insulated, you shouldn't have problems over the life of the car. At least we know now you can short your O2 wire to ground and it will still live

·
Premium Member
13,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Shouldn't. Hasn't messed me up yet. You shouldn't adjust your fuel trim too wild, but provided all your connections are tight and insulated, you shouldn't have problems over the life of the car. At least we know now you can short your O2 wire to ground and it will still live
</font>
Yeah when I get this thing tuned I'm not going to go too crazy. And you don't know HOW relieved I was to know that my PH02 sensor and ECU were still alright after this was all done!

------------------
AOL IM: Joon525

[email protected]
Mugen front bumper and sides with a combat rear bumper for sale in NJ....talk to me personally. East coaster highly, HIGHLY preferred. Also now for sale Tanabe G Power Medalion for 280 and 18" Racing Hart TypeC5's (Price not decided yet)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts