Honda Prelude Online banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this in a few (actually more than a few) posts, but people seem to always blur out their license plates. WHY? Do you cover up your plate when you drive down the street so nobody will see what it is? If somebody could give me a good reason, i would be much appreciative. Sorry for being so cynical, BTW.

------------------
1990 Volvo 740 Turbo/IC
The Swedish Honda

·
Registered
332 Posts
i asked 2 dudes around here why they did, and they told me it was so cops couldnt point them out and tell other cops to look out for them. dumb!

later

·
Registered
857 Posts
I think alot of people do it because they have seen other people do it, but they don't really know why they need to blur it...I think it's dumb cos well for alot of modified cars they are already so recognizable that people know who is driving it etc...so what's the use of covering it???

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by lbkornhusker:
I've noticed this in a few (actually more than a few) posts, but people seem to always blur out their license plates. WHY? Do you cover up your plate when you drive down the street so nobody will see what it is? If somebody could give me a good reason, i would be much appreciative. Sorry for being so cynical, BTW.

</font>
Well this is paranoid but I do it so no one can run the plate and see where I live. I mean if you know how to steal a 5th gen lude then you know a resource of modded cars can be had right here. You can see what your getting ahead of time by simply reading the posts, take that to the next level of runnign a plate # and bingo you know where a lude is parked every night. Yes Paranoia but better safe then sorry right!!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
it has something to do with security in that with a license plate number you can get all sorts of personal information about the person who owns it

·
Premium Member
12,808 Posts
yup...just for the fact of remaining kind of anonymous. The internet's so widely available and accessible...just a form of precaution. Same reason people use handles on here instead of their real names, right? Anything to protect yourself. Besides...it doesn't HURT...does it??

·
Registered
222 Posts
its just to protect yourself...so that if someone sees your car on the street and recognizes it from the net, then they'll know what mods and other goodies you have...and then they could use that information for different purposes...

------------------

Toronto Prelude Club (TPC)

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aZnRYcEbOi:
its just to protect yourself...so that if someone sees your car on the street and recognizes it from the net, then they'll know what mods and other goodies you have
</font>
EXACTLY

------------------
Prelude forum moderator
Prelude FAQ
AIM: jmcn97
'97 Prelude Type-SH

'96 Integra GS-R (R.I.P.)
jmcn.com

·
Registered
713 Posts
Privacy! If I have your plate #, I can get your name & address.. I can also get your VIN and come steal it. I can even go as far as to file a Title Claim at the DMV and contend I performed work on your car you didn't pay for. That entitles me to repo your car and own it legally. Happened to my friend's sport bike... total pain in the ass and one of the guys in the ring that did it was a DC cop... Took him more than 2 years to get it back and the only reason the guys got busted was because they were trying to ship it out of the country and Customs - not the DMV - cought the fact that it was reported stolen at one time... Pretty interesting scam.

·
Registered
327 Posts
PRIVACY?!? HA HA! The people on here can be so ignorant. Fact of the matter is. Anyone who sees your car on the road, parked at the mall, at work, ANYWHERE could do what ya'll describe. More people see your car in everyday life than on the internet. So the fact is none of your arguements really hold up.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
725 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by aZnRYcEbOi:
its just to protect yourself...so that if someone sees your car on the street and recognizes it from the net, then they'll know what mods and other goodies you have...and then they could use that information for different purposes...

</font>
So when ppl go to the meets, what do they do there? Most of the time the hoods are popped and everyone is telling everyone else what they have.

Besides, if you're concerned about people finding out where you live, then don't put the city in your profile

------------------
'00 Prelude
Black 5spd

·
Registered
332 Posts
LOL, u guys act like the cover BLACKS-out the plate numbers or something! It's like with tinted windows...if someone really wants to see inside, they will!

later

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by grnlude97:
PRIVACY?!? HA HA! The people on here can be so ignorant. Fact of the matter is. Anyone who sees your car on the road, parked at the mall, at work, ANYWHERE could do what ya'll describe. More people see your car in everyday life than on the internet. So the fact is none of your arguements really hold up.

Daniel

grnlude97
</font>
yah but when you see a cool car on the road, do you go oh, let me get his plates so i can scan them for his personal info

people rarely look at the plates when they see a car in person on the road

·
Registered
327 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ahcjar103:
yah but when you see a cool car on the road, do you go oh, let me get his plates so i can scan them for his personal info

people rarely look at the plates when they see a car in person on the road

</font>
No I don't do that. Then again I don't do that online either. And I'm hoping you don't do it either. Now if I was a thief I would. It's essentially the same thing no matter which way you look at it.

Daniel

grnlude97

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
No I don't do that. Then again I don't do that online either. And I'm hoping you don't do it either. Now if I was a thief I would. It's essentially the same thing no matter which way you look at it.

Daniel

grnlude97
</font>
haha i dont do that either.

just statistically speaking, the odds that some sh!t on the internet will see your car are higher than one seeing it in person. I think that it's just a simple precaution since who knows where the pics will end up.

·
I don't believe in Titles
3,081 Posts
Not only that, but if your car is on the internet you can also see the mods the guy has - something you can't always do even in person - anything under the hood is pretty much a guess (save for an intercooler).

·
Registered
6,314 Posts

Daniel

grnlude97
</font>
WTF? First off if you ever feel the need to call me "Ignorant" again...DON'T! If I drive by someone or park next to them in the mall it doesn't mean they can automatically find out where I live. If someone knows what there doing and looking for in a specific area they can browse these boards and others and basically "shop" for the car. Yeah anyone can get your plate at anytime but why make it easier on theives?

And if it's so ignorant of us to think that could happen why don't you post your plate#, name, address, and hours of day your at home with the car?

·
PO.com veteran
3,124 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by THATPRELUDEGUY:
WTF? First off if you ever feel the need to call me "Ignorant" again...DON'T! If I drive by someone or park next to them in the mall it doesn't mean they can automatically find out where I live. If someone knows what there doing and looking for in a specific area they can browse these boards and others and basically "shop" for the car. Yeah anyone can get your plate at anytime but why make it easier on theives?

And if it's so ignorant of us to think that could happen why don't you post your plate#, name, address, and hours of day your at home with the car?
</font>
Well said.

------------------
93 VTEC 4WS & TC (JDM)
"and on the seventh day, God created VTEC"

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.