Honda Prelude Online banner

41 - 60 of 65 Posts

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
:wave: I like Boobies too! :wave:

On a more serious note. :) I have a bottle of Gentleman Jack too.

·
H22-Turbo 4WS Beast
1,384 Posts
^^ My local store has the double blacks - will definitely pick one up next.

Just opened the Glenfiddich 15 over the weekend. Wow. Very slight hints of honey right off the bat, then comes a little fruit flavors... finishes clean and bright. Somehow, expected a little harshness at the end but pleasantly surprises with a smooth finish.

Glenfiddich 15 is my go-to scotch. Great pickup!

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
Ok, so many I should've just made this a more general 'whiskey' thread instead. :jape:

I've been on a serious Scotch binge lately with some friends every couple of weeks just getting together with the goal of trying every Scotch bottle there is.

The compiled list so far and as you can see, a few aren't Scotches for reasons not worth mentioning... *cough*

Lagavulin 16
Macallan Select Oak
Dimple Pinch 15
Glenfiddich 12
Canadian Club 6
Douglas 13
Auchentoshan Classic 10
The Balvenie - double wood 12
Glenkinchie 12
Hirsch Bourbon 20
Laphroaig 10
Oban 14
Talisker 10

My personal all time favorite is the Glenlivet 18 - by far THE best single malt Scotch I've ever had and usually have a bottle of this at home. For an 18 year old, the price is right under $100 which, IMO, is a steal. I highly suggest some of you try this one.

The Glenmorangie 12 is also on my list of suggestions.

On my shelf and by shelf, I mean the top of the fridge, current bottles:
Glenlivet 18 and 12, Glenmorangie, Hennessey White (amazing!), and a huge bottle of JD.

As far as blended Scotch is concerned, JW is obviously up there but sometimes, their strong flavors can get a little overbearing. Ahhh.. So much to talk about, but I have work to do. :eek:

Hien: I've been to both the JW and Macallan tasting events. Both are unique in their own way but JW definitely tries to make it feel like an 'event'.

I would highly suggest everyone to give these free events a try. Bring the women as well and I strongly believe that they would have a little more respect and understanding for Scotch whiskeys.
Reviving this old thread.

I've been trying different whiskeys lately (bourbon, rye, scotch) and have found I like scotch a lot more than any other type of whiskey. I was trying a few bourbons and while I did like them, scotch has a better flavor to me.

I have tried a few JDs and I just recently tried Glenlivet 12, 15 and 18. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between those 3 like I could between JD red and JD black. I just started trying scotch so my palate isn't used to it and can't pick out the different flavors.

What other scotches do you recommend? I want to try Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. I also want to try Macallan.

A local liquor store has a scotch club. Buy 6 single malts over time and get 15% off the 7th. That 7th one will definitely be a more expensive bottle lol

·
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Reviving this old thread.

I've been trying different whiskeys lately (bourbon, rye, scotch) and have found I like scotch a lot more than any other type of whiskey. I was trying a few bourbons and while I did like them, scotch has a better flavor to me.

I have tried a few JDs and I just recently tried Glenlivet 12, 15 and 18. To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between those 3 like I could between JD red and JD black. I just started trying scotch so my palate isn't used to it and can't pick out the different flavors.

What other scotches do you recommend? I want to try Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie. I also want to try Macallan.

A local liquor store has a scotch club. Buy 6 single malts over time and get 15% off the 7th. That 7th one will definitely be a more expensive bottle lol
Macallan 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are usually THE entry level Scotch for many people. My personal favorite among these 2 famous brands is the Glenfiddich 15yo.
All the 12 year Glenmorangie (3) have very distinct flavors that are unlike each other. I'd suggest you try all three. Personally, I like the Lasanta (sherry cask.)

There are just so many that I like over the years but lately, here are my goto bottles:

Glenrothes 12yo
Caol Ila 12yo (a little peaty)
Auchentoshan 12yo
Singleton 12yo (budget bottle, but really good if you like some peat)
Balvenie Doublewood 12yo
Balvenie Caribbean Gold Cask 12yo (only available in duty free shops)

Anyway, here's the full list of what we've tried on our Scotch drinking nights.

Lagavulin 16
Macallan Select Oak
Dimple Pinch 15
Glenfiddich 12
Auchentoshan Classic 10
The Balvenie Doublewood 12
Glenkinchie 12
Laphroaig 10
Oban 14
Talisker 10
Yamazaki 12
Ardbeg 10
Glenfiddich 15
Lismore
Aberlour 12
Bastille
Bowmore 12
Glenmorangie Lasanta 12
Great King Street
Jura Superstition 12
Bunnahabhain 12
Bruichladdich 10
Caol Ila 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Bruichladdich Rocks
Aberlour A'bunadh

·
1st to make the playoffs
2,744 Posts
Macallan 12 and Glenfiddich 12 are usually THE entry level Scotch for many people. My personal favorite among these 2 famous brands is the Glenfiddich 15yo.
All the 12 year Glenmorangie (3) have very distinct flavors that are unlike each other. I'd suggest you try all three. Personally, I like the Lasanta (sherry cask.)

There are just so many that I like over the years but lately, here are my goto bottles:

Glenrothes 12yo
Caol Ila 12yo (a little peaty)
Auchentoshan 12yo
Singleton 12yo (budget bottle, but really good if you like some peat)
Balvenie Doublewood 12yo
Balvenie Caribbean Gold Cask 12yo (only available in duty free shops)

Anyway, here's the full list of what we've tried on our Scotch drinking nights.

Lagavulin 16
Macallan Select Oak
Dimple Pinch 15
Glenfiddich 12
Auchentoshan Classic 10
The Balvenie Doublewood 12
Glenkinchie 12
Laphroaig 10
Oban 14
Talisker 10
Yamazaki 12
Ardbeg 10
Glenfiddich 15
Lismore
Aberlour 12
Bastille
Bowmore 12
Glenmorangie Lasanta 12
Great King Street
Jura Superstition 12
Bunnahabhain 12
Bruichladdich 10
Caol Ila 12
Dalwhinnie 15
Bruichladdich Rocks
Aberlour A'bunadh
Wow great list. Thanks! I definitely want to try sherry casked scotch. I think next on my list are Macallan and Glenfiddich 12s then I'll move up from there.

I found a site that sells samples of scotches. They aren't nips. They make the samples themselves with their own small tasting bottles. It is over in Scotland (I think) so shipping might be a lot but if I order enough samples it might be worth it. Probably be better than buying full bottles anyway. Nothing worse than spending $50+ on a bottle just to find out you don't like it. Another option is going to a bar but most bars around me don't have much passed entry level stuff.

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
Figured I'd give this thread a little bump to see how everyone's tastes have changed over the years. Who has moved up the rung on their whiskies? What do you enjoy now that you didn't before...and vice versa?

My interests exploded about a month ago when I was in the Boston area on a 2 week training mission, which was more like "vacation" than actual work. While at this Air Force Base, a guy who I recognized from another training class got to talking with me about his favorite scotches after I told him I bought a bottle of Johnnie Walker 18YO (it has replaced both the Gold Label and Platinum Label) for $65 tax free! He told me that if I liked Scotch, to get off the JW bandwagon and get something with more flavor, like Lagavulin 16 (which the Class 6 also had on sale for $63 tax free!). I also picked that up and man do I like it. The smoky character is out of this world.

But with my limited knowledge of Scotch, I began looking through review after review which lead me to a website called breakingbourbon.com and it piqued my interest on the world of bourbon. I did 2 distillery tours in June with a group of my friends to Buffalo Trace and Woodford, so the interest was there. But after devouring every article in that website, I began a mission of amassing a worthy bourbon collection to entertain guests with when we have them over (and also familiarize myself with them). I guess you could say I may have developed an obsession :laugh:

So much to talk about, but I'll let the pictures show my collection thus far (more being added each week) and keep you guys posted on which ones I like and which I do not.

List of Bourbons I have collected so far:

Listed from left to right, top to bottom

Henry McKenna 10YO BiB
Breckenridge Bourbon
4 Roses Single Barrel Barrel Proof
John J. Bowman Single Barrel
Jeffer's Creek 6YO
Woodford Reserve Double Oaked
Jim Beam
Makers Mark Cask Strength
Old Forester 1920
Stranahan's
Old Forester Statesman
Sazerac Rye
Weller Special Reserve
Clyde May Special Reserve 110 proof
High West Campfire
Colonel EH Taylor Small Batch
Pikesville Supreme Straight Rye
Old Bardstown
Eagle Rare
High West Double Rye
Wild Turkey 101
Russell's Reserve Single Barrel
Buffalo Trace
Blantons
Barrell Whiskey Batch 005
Barrell Bourbon Batch 014
Barrell Infinite Barrel Whiskey 02/2018
Larceny
Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 Proof
Gentlemen Jack

Not Pictured, Recently Purchased:
Old Forester 1897
Makers Mark Private Select

Also, here's my current Scotch Collection. It's not much, but in time it will probably grow as well. Recently finished and not pictured are Talisker 10YO and Singleton 12YO

·
Administrator
13,748 Posts
Knob Creek Single Barrel 120 Proof
This one is my go-to when I'm at a bar somewhere. I don't have much of a collection, but seeing your list makes me want to sample the whole lot. :)

·
Premium Member
1,152 Posts
I'm big on

-Hakushu
-Hibiki
-Chivas 18
-Balvenie
-Talisker
I've tried the Hibiki (wife got it for me from Costco 2 years ago), but I did not find much special about it. I also probably didn't know how to truly appreciate it. I also recall it was very expensive ($75+). Nowadays, I see Hibiki in a newly designed bottle (much more plain) selling for half the price everywhere.

I do want to try the Balvenie. The Class 6 nearby has Doublewood 12 YO for $54 tax free and Caribbean Cask 14 YO for $62. I know I've seen 15 YO for almost $90 elsewhere and other kinds.

If I had to recommend one of those bourbons above to anyone starting out or even a budding enthusiast like me, then I'd have to say go get a bottle of the Henry McKenna 10 YO Bottled in Bond (all BiB are 100 proof). It is a very flavorful bourbon, made out of the same mashbill as Elijah Craig, very little alcohol burn and coats the mouth nicely. You can find it in your local liquor store for $32 to $35.

On the high end, the John J. Bowman bourbon is a superbly smooth and flavorful bourbon, but it's around $50 to $60.

·
you can do EEEEET!
2,394 Posts
I've started to move away from beer and more towards cocktails and bourbon.

I'll take a picture of where we're at with it when I get home later.

·
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
My new-ish favorite (been so for more than a few years now) is the 18yo Yamazaki. Definitely too pricey now due to its lack of production the past few years.

Still prefer Laphroaig and generally the peaty Scotch's as my goto.
The highland bottles definitely don't tickle my taste buds as much.

Also dipped into craft beers in recent years given the crazy explosion. Finback Brewing is 10-15 mins away and certainly come out with some really nice IPA/DIPA's on the regular. Unfortunately, they're not distributing their cans (buy at brewery) and aren't tapped at that many bars.

41 - 60 of 65 Posts