21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
I also prefer slightly melted ice :eek:
I am similar. two/three ice, and drink it slowly, by the time i am on my last slip, it open up like crazy.:bigthumb:

·
12,804 Posts
I usually drink it neat or with water if it needs to get cut, but i've always wanted one of these bc it's just cool...

Maybe i'll get colin to mill one out for me :D

While Johnny Walker is pretty decent, you guys need to venture out. It's like the 'bud light' of scotch as far as what everyone automatically orders when it comes to scotch.
I'm not disagreeing...like I said I'm a newb. I'd usually rather beer than scotch.

·
Type SH'in...
2,229 Posts
I usually drink it neat or with water if it needs to get cut, but i've always wanted one of these bc it's just cool...

I'm not disagreeing...like I said I'm a newb. I'd usually rather beer than scotch.
Those ice spheres are cool, but the point of them is that they have less surface area to volume and thus will melt slower. Being that I like my scotch with slightly melted ice, it's pointless for me :)

·
B cuz I got it like that.
2,831 Posts
At 7-11 here you can get JW Black, JW Green, JW Red like its no big deal. In fact I think the prices are decent but the size of the bottles is relatively smaller.

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts

·
11,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
^^ My local store has the double blacks - will definitely pick one up next.

Just opened the Glenfiddich 15 over the weekend. Wow. Very slight hints of honey right off the bat, then comes a little fruit flavors... finishes clean and bright. Somehow, expected a little harshness at the end but pleasantly surprises with a smooth finish.

·
O_____O
2,833 Posts

Oh shiet, that does look like what I took a pic of :)

Wouldn't be terribly difficult to make.

I was thinking though, what about stainless steel cubes that you freeze? No melted water!

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
Ok, so many I should've just made this a more general 'whiskey' thread instead. :jape:

I've been on a serious Scotch binge lately with some friends every couple of weeks just getting together with the goal of trying every Scotch bottle there is.

The compiled list so far and as you can see, a few aren't Scotches for reasons not worth mentioning... *cough*

Lagavulin 16
Macallan Select Oak
Dimple Pinch 15
Glenfiddich 12
Canadian Club 6
Douglas 13
Auchentoshan Classic 10
The Balvenie - double wood 12
Glenkinchie 12
Hirsch Bourbon 20
Laphroaig 10
Oban 14
Talisker 10

My personal all time favorite is the Glenlivet 18 - by far THE best single malt Scotch I've ever had and usually have a bottle of this at home. For an 18 year old, the price is right under $100 which, IMO, is a steal. I highly suggest some of you try this one.

The Glenmorangie 12 is also on my list of suggestions.

On my shelf and by shelf, I mean the top of the fridge, current bottles:
Glenlivet 18 and 12, Glenmorangie, Hennessey White (amazing!), and a huge bottle of JD.

As far as blended Scotch is concerned, JW is obviously up there but sometimes, their strong flavors can get a little overbearing. Ahhh.. So much to talk about, but I have work to do. :eek:

Hien: I've been to both the JW and Macallan tasting events. Both are unique in their own way but JW definitely tries to make it feel like an 'event'.

I would highly suggest everyone to give these free events a try. Bring the women as well and I strongly believe that they would have a little more respect and understanding for Scotch whiskeys.
I saw Glenlivet 18 at Costco for like $55....is that a good price?

·
PO.Com's E-Pimpologist
3,352 Posts
soooooo far away :laugh:
they do ship, just call them up. but if your going to ship, you might as well search for out of state, and not received tax on it.

·
no diggity
1,127 Posts
okay so I picked up a bottle of Glenlivet 18, and also ended up with a white elephant gift of gentleman jack & 2 scotch glasses :eek:

actually, the gentleman jack was the gift I purchased for the event, but I had a few beers before we did the exchange and didn't know what my fiance wrapped it in, so I ended up picking my own gift :laugh: :laugh:. It actually got stolen from me, then she stole it back for me.....and that's why I am marrying that woman :D

21 - 40 of 65 Posts